SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

JamesL
October 12th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Hey all. :)

Have realised that since I've been at sffworld (almost a year now) I've never actually submitted any work for critiquing.

Therefore, I've posted the 2nd draft of the prologue to a story I'm working on in the community section. You can find it here (http://www.sffworld.com/community/story/948p0.html).

Feel free to take a look and let me know what you think. Feel free to bash it as much as you like. :D

Snowie
October 14th, 2005, 09:31 PM
I very much enjoyed the story and felt you had many fresh elements in it, yet were true to the traditions that are important in this genre. It was technically excellent as well, with flawless dialogue, both in tone and syntaxically.

I especially liked the description of the "fleshing" of the skeleton, and the initial chase through the snow.

How far have you advanced in your storyline?

JamesL
October 15th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Snowie, thanks very much for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the initial 'chase' scene - it was my intention to grasp the reader's attention and not let go.

As for the storyline, I've mapped out roughly the entire plot and I know more or less what events are going to happen, although I'm sure others will develop as I write. In terms of writing, the prologue (which may be made Chapter 1 instead) is all I've written so far. I started on the next chapter but have stopped for the moment due to some scene/setting juggling.

Thanks again for your nice comments! :)

Snowie
October 15th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Quoting from the work:

The voices continued and words as sharp as icicles cut into his ears.

He had dropped his axe and was running before the blunted blade even struck the ground.

Memories glimmered in his mind like fireflies.

I think those are some of the best lines in the prologue!

You had best get busy writing some more, please!

qonox
October 16th, 2005, 01:24 AM
JamesL,

I very much like your descriptions and use of dialogue, which is concise and not wasteful. Also your writing flows well off the page. I can't think of anything bad to say about this prologue.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what happened to Erlund, but it was a joy to read. I would definitely read more of Stormcaller if you had some to share.

Have you ever been published? Are you trying to be?

JamesL
October 16th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Qonox, thanks very much for your comments. I'm glad you liked the prologue.

There are a few things I think I might change; what exactly is happening to Erlund is perhaps something I will make a little more evident.

I don't have anything more to share right now; as this is all I have so far. I'm not intending to put everything I write in the community section, but I will probably put another chapter up when I have one.

As for being published, I have been published before, but only a short story in a Horror magazine. I am certainly looking to get this story published when I eventually complete it, but that is a long way off. ;)

qonox
October 16th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Was it difficult getting your short story published? The only reason I ask is because I have a couple of short SF stories which I'm gonna submit to Asimov, Analog, and whatever other SF mags I can think of. What can I expect?

JamesL
October 16th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Was it difficult getting your short story published? The only reason I ask is because I have a couple of short SF stories which I'm gonna submit to Asimov, Analog, and whatever other SF mags I can think of. What can I expect?

It was pretty simple for me - I submitted my story to the magazine and three months later I received an email informing me that my story had been accepted for publication.

All I can really say is be prepared for a long wait - most publications keep you waiting at least a month, many are a lot longer than that. Also, be prepared for the worst - Asimov's is a big hitter in the sf market, with high standards. If your short doesn't get published, don't worry. Just send it to a different magazine.

You might like to check out www.ralan.com which is a website featuring hundreds of f/sf/horror magazines (both electronic and traditional). Well worth a browse to find a suitable market for your work. :)

qonox
October 16th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Thank you for the info.

Which magazine published you, if I might ask?

JamesL
October 17th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Qonox, I've sent you a pm to avoid turning this thread into a discussion about publishing! ;)