PDA

View Full Version : Critique: Fantasy names

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Bethelamon
October 16th, 2005, 04:35 PM
How do you like these names? I have more, these are just ones I can remember off the top of my head....

COUNTRIES / STATES
Vennimair
Hiranmair
Tarrinon
Garnesia
Miraland
Diranhad
D'Artec
Darenarc
Elsterin
Magritanion
Nemaria
Heradheim

CITIES
Ereth Garn
Ereth Miran
Ereth Nemalas
Ereth Vennin
Vennindorf
Diranec
Celdin
Bruin
Hoche
Numad
Altanesea

SAINTS (Mythical god-like beings)
Bethelamon
Miranar
Uritheon
Yedanain
Caradhain

I'll give you more when I remember them / look at my notes (its late).

Any you particularly like? Any sound too cheesy?

Snowie
October 16th, 2005, 07:04 PM
I do not think any of these names sound "cheesy."

I am going to make some comments on aspects of some of the names. My comments are not necessarily valid considerations, but merely meant as additional information.

COUNTRIES / STATES
Vennimair -- I really like the "-mair" endings
Hiranmair
Tarrinon
Garnesia
Miraland -- Mira in Spanish is "Look"
Diranhad -- Have you considered adding a "-t," "Diranhadt" -- similar to "-stadt" ?
D'Artec -- Good for a cold place, similar to The Artic; also harkens to the place names of lovely France
Darenarc
Elsterin
Magritanion -- For some reason, it brings to mind "Margaritaville," probably the dyslexia rearing its guly head again.
Nemaria
Heradheim -- "heim" is also a very polished-sounding ending

CITIES
Ereth Garn
Ereth Miran
Ereth Nemalas "Ereth" is very catchy
Ereth Vennin
Vennindorf -- Sounds good and Germanic, if I may combine the two terms.
Diranec
Celdin
Bruin -- "Bear"
Hoche

Bethelamon -- A nice nod to Belthazar
Miranar
Uritheon
Yedanain -- Brings to mind "Yeti," perhaps an especially mysterious saint?

Bethelamon
October 30th, 2005, 01:23 PM
*bump*

Anyone else got any comments on my names?

World Builder
October 30th, 2005, 02:41 PM
COUNTRIES / STATES
Vennimair
Hiranmair
does "-mair" rhyme with "air" or "ire?" I like Hiranmire and Vennimair. Might be a way of showing different accents of a common language.
Miraland
Diranhad
Any relationship between Hiranmair, Miraland, and Diranhad? The "-ira(n)" root of these words might be repetitive if not intentional.

Garnesia
Nemaria
These two are more in a Classical vein than the previous ones. Is there a relationship between them?

D'Artec
Darenarc
What's the relationship, if any, between these two as well? the D-C frame seems more than just a coincidence. Also, since the original intent of this thread was to weed out the corny names, I'd recommend dropping "D'Artec" it seems far too much like "The Artic," and would be horribly corny if it actually refered to a frigid area and out-of-place if it didn't. "Darenarc" seems like it could be part of the "-ira(n)" family of words. Any connection?

Elsterin
Tarrinon
Magritanion
these -n ending words are probably the hardest to pronounce in my mind. I keep thinking "Elestrin," for example. Which come to think of it sounds like a prescription drug. I'd spell the last one "Magretanion." the -i- just begs to be accented and Mah-GRIH-tan-ee-on is harder to say than Mah-greh-TAN-ee-on. And, like snow, I'm tempted to add an extra R to the first syllable.

Heradheim
Any relation to "Hiranmair?" Like i said, you might want to watch all these -ira(n/d)- words. -Heim might also be a bit cliche, depending on how it's used. Hopefully this region isn't to nordic.

CITIES
Ereth Garn
Ereth Miran
Ereth Nemalas
Ereth Vennin
The repetition of "Ereth" seems a bit too tolkienesque for my tastes. If you have a good in-story reason for the word, perhaps it could work, but I'd be wary.

Vennindorf
This one I like

Diranec
In general I'd be wary of having so many cities that seem to have obvious connections between themselves and the region in which they are situated. For example, I assume Diranec is found in Diranhad or Darenarc. Keep an eye on these. Again, it requires a good in-story explination and not just a world-builder's whim to justify.

Celdin
Bruin
Hoche
Numad
These I like. A little curious of the pronounciations for Celdin and Hoche, though.

Altanesea
This one makes me wonder. The exact nature of the city would determine whether this name is corny. As long as it's not an Atlantis-motif city, it should work.

Bethelamon
Miranar
Uritheon
Yedanain
Caradhain
Don't haev a problem with any of these except, perhaps, Caradhain. Reminds me of a mountain in LotR.

Bethelamon
October 30th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the helpful input! You've made me think, I will answer your replies.

Yes there is a connection between alot of these places. Alot of these are ancient countries and cities, no longer around, all formed at the same time by the Saints. As of such they have similar names.
Each country had a patron saint. The world has changed now, new empires have been built over the ruins of the old civilisations, and the saints are mostly forgotten.

Vennimair
Hiranmair
does "-mair" rhyme with "air" or "ire?" I like Hiranmire and Vennimair. Might be a way of showing different accents of a common language.
"-mair" rhymes with air. Hiranmire sounds quite good... I'll think about that one. Vennimair and Hiranmair are both countries created by Saints, situated next to each other.

Miraland
Diranhad
Any relationship between Hiranmair, Miraland, and Diranhad? The "-ira(n)" root of these words might be repetitive if not intentional.
Miraland is taken from the city Ereth Miran, city of the saint Miranar. After the age of the saints (they are no longer around), the country around Ereth Miran becomes known as Miraland. So these names all tie in around the saint Miranar. Hiranmair is a name from the age of the saints... so the "ira" is of saintly origin. Diranhad is a modern realm though.... thanks, you've made me think about keeping the "ira" for just places with origins around the saints. I'll consider changing Diranhad.

Garnesia
Nemaria
These two are more in a Classical vein than the previous ones. Is there a relationship between them?
These are related, they are also both ancient nations of the saints. So they should sound classical, and have a connection.

D'Artec
Darenarc
What's the relationship, if any, between these two as well? the D-C frame seems more than just a coincidence. Also, since the original intent of this thread was to weed out the corny names, I'd recommend dropping "D'Artec" it seems far too much like "The Artic," and would be horribly corny if it actually refered to a frigid area and out-of-place if it didn't. "Darenarc" seems like it could be part of the "-ira(n)" family of words. Any connection?
Now these have no relationship..... Darenarc is an ancient empire which has survived since the age of the saints. I am rather fond of the name D'Artec... Perhaps I can tie them in. D'artec is a modern nation just south of Darenarc, so perhaps it can be built by the people of Darenarc, a sort of little brother. And D'Artec is pronounced DAR-teck, not da-ART-eck. Should it then be spelt D'artec instead?

Elsterin
Tarrinon
Magritanion
these -n ending words are probably the hardest to pronounce in my mind. I keep thinking "Elestrin," for example. Which come to think of it sounds like a prescription drug. I'd spell the last one "Magretanion." the -i- just begs to be accented and Mah-GRIH-tan-ee-on is harder to say than Mah-greh-TAN-ee-on. And, like snow, I'm tempted to add an extra R to the first syllable.
Im happy with a few hard-to-pronounce places, but thanks for pointing it out. I will consider changing to Magretanion...

Heradheim
Any relation to "Hiranmair?" Like i said, you might want to watch all these -ira(n/d)- words. -Heim might also be a bit cliche, depending on how it's used. Hopefully this region isn't to nordic.
No relation to Hiranmair at all... It is a modern state, so it has got a germanic sounding name rather than the classical/tolkeinesque names of the ancient nations. It isnt nordic, think early renaissance europe. Its a new, small state.

CITIES
Ereth Garn
Ereth Miran
Ereth Nemalas
Ereth Vennin
The repetition of "Ereth" seems a bit too tolkienesque for my tastes. If you have a good in-story reason for the word, perhaps it could work, but I'd be wary.
The repitition is intentional. There were ten great cities of the saints, all Ereth *blank*. They are all now in ruins, deserted, or have had new cities built on top of them. Though the names still show through. Ereth Vennin has become Vennindorf.

Vennindorf
This one I like
As I said, this is the new city built on the ruins of Ereth Vennin, in the country of.... Vennimair!

Diranec
In general I'd be wary of having so many cities that seem to have obvious connections between themselves and the region in which they are situated. For example, I assume Diranec is found in Diranhad or Darenarc. Keep an eye on these. Again, it requires a good in-story explination and not just a world-builder's whim to justify.
Diranec is a port city in Diranhad. But if I change the name of Diranhad... I will relocate Diranec to Darenarc, as I like the name! Thanks for pointing it out.

Celdin
Bruin
Hoche
Numad
These I like. A little curious of the pronounciations for Celdin and Hoche, though.
The small, simple names are more modern cities. Celdin is pronounced Sell-din, Hoche is pronounced Hoch.

Altanesea
This one makes me wonder. The exact nature of the city would determine whether this name is corny. As long as it's not an Atlantis-motif city, it should work.
No nothing mythical or Atlantis-like.... its a modern city, the greatest on the continent. Just the biggest, richest, most powerful and with the biggest universities. It does seem a bit mythical.... I might relocate it to the age of the saints.

Bethelamon
Miranar
Uritheon
Yedanain
Caradhain
Don't haev a problem with any of these except, perhaps, Caradhain. Reminds me of a mountain in LotR.
Yeah I see your point... I will bear that in mind.

Thanks ever so much! You have made me think, and even inspired some more threads for my world.