View Full Version : Book covers, and titles

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

gabador
March 24th, 2002, 08:27 AM
I just wanted to ask you all this:
Would you read a book, if you looked at the cover illustrations, and it looked bad. Or if the title sounded corny, or bad. What makes you choose a book, and how would you make Your book interesting enought to buy. I'm not asking about the reading part, because it might be the best book ever in the world, but if I think that the description in the back isn't interesting enough, or if the cover illustration is bad, I'll most probably not buy it.... But that's me. What about you?

gabador
March 24th, 2002, 08:49 AM
As an answer to that, I'll say that you should not judje a book by it's cover. Hmmmm. But I tend to do so. I read a book by reccomendation, or by a good review, or if it's known. But if I read them all, and I'm looking for something else to read, I look at the book's cover, and if I think it's good. I buy it. Or if the description on the back is good. So When,(if) i ever get my book published, I'll start to think about the aesthetics of it. Size of page, size of font, picture on front, pictures on the pages, etc. Do you provide these? Or does the publisher do them for you. Who writes the short description on the back cover?

gabador
March 24th, 2002, 08:53 AM
oh, and just out of curiosity, when was the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover" invented? In the old days they all had the same leather bound covers. So it couldn't have been that long ago... Hmmm

Alucard
March 24th, 2002, 09:33 AM
I think we all know that you can't judge a book by it's cover (or title), but I'd be lying if I said that these factors don't play a part in what books I pick up. True, cover and title have nothing to do with the quality, but they are your first impression. I've learned (the hard way) not to put any faith in a good cover (or the opposite), but to say that these two are completely irrelevant would be stretching it a little bit.

milamber_reborn
March 25th, 2002, 04:45 AM
A good cover, particuarly with fantasy is ideal. However, I have thus far chosen series by recommendations from a friend. For future reading (once i'm uptodate with Jordan) I will choose from recommendations on this site, cause my friend isn't currently reading any novels I haven't read yet

[This message has been edited by milamber_reborn (edited March 25, 2002).]

Giroth
August 3rd, 2002, 01:57 PM
I buy a book if it has some fantasy-like cover, an interesting name, or interesting description.
To make my book interesting(to me at least) I would add a dragon on the front, the elf with the sword of Giroth, and the sword itself down the middle.It's called The Dragonking's Sword, so it fits:0

choppy
August 3rd, 2002, 04:36 PM
Okay, so I'm standing in front of the SF/Fanstasy section of books in my local generic book store. I have some free time this weekend and I just want a little mental escape.

I look at the wall of books in front of me. A couple of covers capture my eye I glance at them - one's got a dragon on it - another with a chick that looks kind of hot - hmm. Why do fantasy heros all have long hair anyway?

I read the back, or the inside cover of a few that have caught my eye - not so much my the cover design, but by what the title-cover art combination seem to indicate they're about. I chuck all the ones that look like exact rip-offs of Tolkein. I'll read maybe five or six - depending on how much time I have. Then if one has a story that sticks in my mind, I pick it up.

These days, most bookstores let you sit down and read a little bit. So I give the book a chance. In fifteen minutes or so I can get through a few pages if I'm hooked I'll buy it, if not - sorry. Maybe I should give more books a chance and read the frist couple chapters before I give up, but let's be realisitic. I don't have much time to spend reading something that "might" get good.

Cheers!

Giroth
August 3rd, 2002, 09:28 PM
Extra chance of me buying a book if a dragon's on the front:0