PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the old and upoming Conan films and the upcoming Elric films

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
October 18th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Well right now I'm reading Robert E. Howard's "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian", and I must say that I'm absolutely loving it! But in my reading about the dark cult of the Demon God Set, and the demonic land of Stygia, a few questions rose in my mind about the old Conan: The Barbarian movie. In Conan the Barbarian, the evil king Thulsa Doom (played by James Earl Jones) was the leader of a dark cult of Set. Now, since he and his warriors worship Set, I'd think they'd be Stygian, but they wore armor like Vikings. I'd think that since the land of Stygia in Howard's Conan tales was more like ancient Egypt, they'd wear Egyptian-like armor, you know like something out of the old "Mummies Alive!" cartoon. Also, if they were Stygians wouldn't they have the same kind of skin color, instead of Thulsa Doom being black and his warriors being white? And in Howard's original Conan stories, isn't Thulsa Doom a king that isn't Stygian in origin at all, and has a skull for a head?
I'm also wondering if anybody knows who's going to play Conan in the new Conan film, if ol' Ahhnold is out of the picture. And if Thoth Amon is possibly going to be in it, and if Basil Poledouris, the composer of the old Conan film soundtracks, is going to be working on the new Conan film soundtrack.
And also, I wanted to ask you guys who you'd want to see do the soundtrack of the upcoming Elric movies. A lot of people said Blue Oyster Cult or Hawkwind since these rock/aor bands have done a lot of songs based on the story of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion Saga, but I myself would really like to see either Basil Poledouris do it, or the power metal band Domine, since they have done so many songs based on Elric.

Bad Heartburn
October 18th, 2005, 10:00 PM
and if Basil Poledouris, the composer of the old Conan film soundtracks, is going to be working on the new Conan film soundtrack.

Whatever else happens, I'd love it if ol' BP was in on the new movie. I love his Conan soundtrack and still listen to it often.

Evil Agent
October 18th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Ok, first of all, this is the first I've heard of Elric movies. I've been hearing about all these supposed fantasy films coming out, ever since LOTR, but have yet to see anything. Frankly I'm getting tired of waiting, and starting to become pretty skeptical. Still, Elric seems like it would make a good movie (although I have yet to read the books!).

As for Conan... all I can say is AAARGGGHHHH. I've been following this story for YEARS. First Arnold was in. Then he was out. Then he was definitely in. Then the Wachowski Brothers (the matrix) dropped out. Then Conan was gonna be Triple H the wrestler (terrible idea). Then he was rumored to be Vin Diesel (even worse!). Now, the last official word was: no one knows.

All I can say is that if it is NOT Arnold, I think it will be one of my biggest movie disappointments ever. It will probably end up being the worst, cheesy, terrible movie, something like the Scorpion King, but probably worse. The only good reason to make another Conan, in my opinion, is that the older Arnold will perfectly complement the storyline of an aged and older Conan, who has become 'king by his own hand'.

And if they do make it, they'd better get Poledouris again!

Eperitos
October 20th, 2005, 02:17 AM
I'm not exactly sure if the Conan movie will even be made. I think there is some wrangling going on about what the movie should be like. The Director wants a more gritty realistic film and the studio wants more of superhero movie (think Conan the Destroyer rather than Conan the Barbarian)

Anyway what I do know is that any Conan movie is in jeopardy of not being made at all.

Oh, I would also like to have Basil doing soundtrack.

Just did some internet research. John Milius is out as director, and Robert Rodriguez is in. It looks like the studio is getting its way. Still not sure if its actually going to be made though.

Bad Heartburn
October 20th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Why would they want it to be more like Destroyer!? :confused: Destroyer sucked!

Evil Agent
October 20th, 2005, 02:52 PM
The funny thing is that I grew up watching the Destroyer. I thought it was by far the coolest movie ever! When I saw Barbarian, I thought it was far too dark and not as fun (this is when I was about 10 years old).

Nowadays, I can't believe I ever felt that way. Barbarian is, IMO, one of the best fantasy films ever made! Destroyer, in comparison, is such a hack sequel it's depressing.

IF ANYONE INVOLVED IN THE MOVIES SEES THIS, go with the BARBARIAN route, NOT Destroyer!!! PLEASE! Going for the flashier, superhero style would be a BRUTAL MISTAKE!

As for Milius being out... that sucks. Rodriguez.. hmm.. I have to say, I dislike most of his movies (Dawn to Dusk, Desperado, Spy Kids trilogy, Shark Boy crap, etc.) but Sin City was promising. How is he planning on doing a Conan film, though, when he has two Sin City sequels lined up?

enazwo
October 28th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Well right now I'm reading Robert E. Howard's "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian", and I must say that I'm absolutely loving it! But in my reading about the dark cult of the Demon God Set, and the demonic land of Stygia, a few questions rose in my mind about the old Conan: The Barbarian movie. In Conan the Barbarian, the evil king Thulsa Doom (played by James Earl Jones) was the leader of a dark cult of Set. Now, since he and his warriors worship Set, I'd think they'd be Stygian, but they wore armor like Vikings. I'd think that since the land of Stygia in Howard's Conan tales was more like ancient Egypt, they'd wear Egyptian-like armor, you know like something out of the old "Mummies Alive!" cartoon. Also, if they were Stygians wouldn't they have the same kind of skin color, instead of Thulsa Doom being black and his warriors being white? And in Howard's original Conan stories, isn't Thulsa Doom a king that isn't Stygian in origin at all, and has a skull for a head?

The Conan the Barbarian movie starring Arnold has many differences from REH's books. One of the most notable differences is that REH always made reference to Conan's black hair and glacier blue eyes. Well though Arnold didn't have the black hair or blue eyes he did have an adeqaute physique. Though it doesn't match Frank Frazetta's painting The Barbarian, which is more rugged looking and closer to REH's description.

If you recall the beginning of the movie Conan's people, Cimmerians-who according to REH all have black hair with either blue or gray eyes-had features that do not look anything like REH's Cimmerians.

To answer your questiion about the Set cult in the movie and the Set cult in REH's books, well other then the use of snakes there's little resemblance.

However with that being said I really did love the movie Conan the Barbarian and adore the sound track by Basil and hope he is involved in the third movie.

Also for information the Wheel of Time series author Robert Jordan got his start writing Conan stories, and for the record they are quite good and a great deal better then anything since REH himself.

It's too bad they could make the third movie based upon the only full length story REH ever wrote about Conan, and that is "Hour of the Dragon", or as it is title in paperbackform "Conan the Conquerer".

Zsinj
November 12th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Hey fellas, I just found out on the official Conan website (http://www.conan.com) that New Line Home Entertainment is making a animated/CGI movie based on Robert E. Howard's Conan tale, "Red Nails"! :eek: Among the vocal stars are Ron Pearlman (Hellboy, Beauty & the Beast) as Conan, Marg Helgenberger (CSI), and Mark Hamill (he needs no introduction :D )
Here's the official site (http://www.conanrednails.com) for more info!