PDA

View Full Version : Scifi Roll call in the last 15 years!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

sojourner753
October 19th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I was just discussing the Serenity movie with a co-worker a few days ago and he informed me that many "geeks" (his words :) ) are saying that it was the best Scifi movie in the last 15 years.

Well, being the conservative that I am I replied that, while it was a great movie, I would go that far.

Then he hit me from another angle. He asked me: Name a scifi movie in the last 15 years that you feel was better.

I was stumped. I immediately went to the last 3 Star Wars movies, but the first 2 weren't any good, in my opinion. The 3rd was a decent closing of the saga, but I would still say Serenity was better on many aspects.

So I pose the question to you guys. Name a scifi movie in the last 15 years that you feel is either better or is argueably better.

Let us know why. Plot, dialogue, direction, characters ... etc

Sound off! :D

MindsEye
October 19th, 2005, 09:25 PM
So I pose the question to you guys. Name a scifi movie in the last 15 years that you feel is either better or is argueably better.

Let us know why. Plot, dialogue, direction, characters ... etc
Sound off! :D

I don' think there has been a better one in the past 15 years. My all time favorite Sci-Fi flick is Bladrunner, but that was more than 15 years ago.

But I am biased, because I am a BIG Firefly/Serenity Geek!

sojourner753
October 19th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I don' think there has been a better one in the past 15 years. My all time favorite Sci-Fi flick is Bladrunner, but that was more than 15 years ago.

But I am biased, because I am a BIG Firefly/Serenity Geek!

Ahh Bladerunner was a great movie. I even own the DVD. Unfortunately it doesn't have the cops innervoice. :(

But you're cheating. ;)

I know the last decade and a half have been kind of sad, but there must be something folks.

terminus est
October 19th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Well let's see.

My favorite sci fi movies were listed in another thread here.

I'll add to the list (not in order):

A Clockwork Orange (1971, 34 years ago)
Blade Runner (1982, 23 years ago)
Brazil (1985, 20 years ago)
12 Monkeys (1995, 10 years ago)
Aliens (1986, 19 years ago)
Akira (1988, 17 years ago)

I consider every one of these movies to be better than Serenity. Only one is within 15 years, 12 Monkeys, which is just about one of my 10 favorite movies of all time. Then again, that's a bit unfair, as Terry Gilliam is an almost unsurpassed genius in the field of cinema, imo.

Bitter Buffalo
October 19th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Just off the top of my head...

The Fifth Element
Gattaca
Dark City
The Matrix
The Abyss
Terminator 2
Total Recall
Contact
War Of the Worlds
Jurassic Park
PitchBlack
Donnie Darko (don't know if this counts as sci-fi but hey its got time travel)
Starship Troopers
A.I.
Minority Report
Armageddon (more fun than Serenity)

But then again I didn't think Serenity Now was anything special so...yeah.

terminus est
October 20th, 2005, 12:05 AM

The Fifth Element
Gattaca
Dark City
The Matrix
The Abyss
Terminator 2
Total Recall
Contact
War Of the Worlds
Jurassic Park
PitchBlack
Donnie Darko (don't know if this counts as sci-fi but hey)
Starship Troopers
A.I.
Minority Report

But then again I didn't think Serenity Now was anything special so...yeah.

Out of those, I would probably agree with Donnie Darko, but that's it. Serenity was awesome, man. What didn't you like about it?

That's not to say I don't like any of those movies, because I do. Armageddon was absolutely horrific though. Can't say I'd give that movie higher than a 1 / 10. ;)

sojourner753
October 20th, 2005, 06:16 AM

The Fifth Element
Gattaca
Dark City
The Matrix
The Abyss
Terminator 2
Total Recall
Contact
War Of the Worlds
Jurassic Park
PitchBlack
Donnie Darko (don't know if this counts as sci-fi but hey its got time travel)
Starship Troopers
A.I.
Minority Report

Out of your list I would say that The Matrix (the first one only) is in the running soley due to its originality. Thats not to say that I didn't like some of the others. The only one I've not seen is Donnie Darko so I can't comment on it.

Good list though.

Shehzad
October 20th, 2005, 06:29 AM
I'd put Gattaca up there with any other SF movie of the last 20 yrs, and I'd agree with 12 Monkeys. The Matrix was stylish but I liked Serenity better, fershure.

Dawnstorm
October 20th, 2005, 07:07 AM
I haven't seen Firefly yet, but here's a list of SF-Movies I thought were great in the last 15 years:

Dark City (1998):
Great effects (not overdone), great acting (Must be one of Kiefer Sutherland's best roles), dense atmosphere, interesting concept

Strange Days (1995):
Great acting; very subtle inter-play with memories, love, friendship, politics, media and millenium-paranoia.

Tank Girl (1995):
Fun. Pure and simple. The comic book inserts actually work. Nice over-the-top acting. Fluff at it's finest.

eXistenZ (1999):
Wonderfully weird!

Plus some that have been mentioned:

The Fifth Element: Oh, the visuals and goofy madness... :D

Total Recall: Good, fast-paced entertainment.

Pitch Black: Atmosphere

Starship Troopers: Hilarious; Perfect hairdo in the middle of battle...

Tarn
October 20th, 2005, 02:11 PM
A few off the top of my head (well, out of my DVD pile) the best scifi of the last 15 years that I can think of would be......

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - great conceptual scifi. Like a superb Outer Limits episode.

Terminator 2 - More of a great action movie than a great scifi movie, I suppose. Despite the cloying sentimentality and completely misjudged humour, I still consider this a bit of a classic.

Starship Troopers - I love this film, and think that it's very underrated. Amazing monster b-movie. Brilliantly exciting action movie. Scathing and hilarious political satire (almost Strangelove-esque at times). Great scifi concepts and effects. Of course, nothing like the book, but you can't have everything.

Donnie Darko - Nicely original, quirky and unusual. Weird without being irritating.

Minority Report - If you ignore the stupid coda (what is it with Spielberg and endings recently?), this is a smart, snappy piece of scifi that's packed full of ideas and a great cast.

A.I. - Again, despite the oddly paced ending, I think this is a near-classic. It's deeply flawed, but also very magical if you let yourself be absorbed by it.

Also, not sure if you'd all include comic book movies as being scifi, but if you do then I'd definitely include Spider-Man 2 and X2, which are both hugely accomplished.

Whether I'd consider the above better than Serenity is a different matter. I need to see Serenity several more times first.