PDA

View Full Version : A Slim Yet Helpful Volume for Writers

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Snowie
October 22nd, 2005, 12:54 PM
Brenda Ueland was a free-spirited Minnesotan who gave a tremendous gift to all future writers in her small book, "If You Want to Write."

In looking through the messages on this board, I can tell many are in need of an assist, yet have no viable support system for their writing efforts. Astonishingly, this little book can function as a tremendous help, and buoy the reader up in terms of writing and in terms of navigating through life.

When I meet discouraged writers in real life, I often give them a copy of this book.

Brenda Ueland is no longer with us in life, but her spirit bursts forth from her book. As a courtesy, her book is back in print due to the efforts of Minnesotans. I'd advise getting a copy. You will feel as if a wise, loving, and somewhat wild friend has taken you under her wing.

I feel I can alert the other forum members to this book, because it is a long-standing staple among writers and is not published to make a profit, but rather to keep it in print and as a labor of love among those of Norwegian descent. Uff Da, yeah, you betcha!

nealasher
October 26th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but a useful book for would-be novellists (despite its off-putting title) is 'Writing the Blockbuster Novel by Albert Zuckerman'. He was a top agent (maybe still is) and uses examples from Ken Follet, Margaret Mitchell and Mario Puzo. Enlightening stuff.

johnkarr
November 8th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Brenda Ueland was a free-spirited Minnesotan who gave a tremendous gift to all future writers in her small book, "If You Want to Write."

One of the best books on the act of writing. Not publishing, mind you, but writing.

Basically, let if fly from the heart on the draft and don't get bogged down. Always time to go back and edit later.

The first time I read writing referred to as violent in a good way. I glance over at it when I get slow and it spurs me on.

I drink to the shade of Brenda Ueland.

Jandu
November 17th, 2005, 04:48 AM
I could not agree more. Of the many many books on writing purchased over the years this is the one I keep coming back to recharge my sense of what it is all about.