PDA

View Full Version : Ursula Le Guin's Left Hand Of Darkness rejection letter

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

qonox
October 23rd, 2005, 01:03 AM
I came across this on her site. Somehow it inspires me to forge ahead with my writing, despite my lack of confidence. I guess it goes to show that you can't please everyone (as long as you please the RIGHT people!)...

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Reject.html

Miriamele
October 23rd, 2005, 09:41 AM
Yes I've read that letter before on her website. It is encouraging, considering the huge success that book came to have eventually. Actually I found a lot of the stuff on her website helpful. Especially this little clip:
A Few Words to a Young Writer (http://www.ursulakleguin.com/WordsYoungWriter.html)
Good stuff.

Banger
October 24th, 2005, 09:35 AM
I'm still awaiting my first non-form rejection letter :p

KatG
October 26th, 2005, 12:18 PM
They actually put out a whole book of rejection letters to writers who were famous sellers or acclaimed award-winners in the early 1990's, but I can't remember the title.

tielserrath
October 31st, 2005, 12:12 PM
There's an online site called rejectioncollection, which anyone can add to.

I had a letter from an agent telling me to find a publisher first and a letter from a publisher telling me to find an agent first arrive on the same day...

Don't take form rejection letters seriously. It means they haven't even looked at your ms, so they don't know whether they should be rejecting it or not. The best ones, however, is where they seem to have read an entirely different ms, such as the one I had saying that there was no market for stories told in flashback (it was a linear narrative).

sometimes you find an editor who is decent, honest and helpful (even if they don't take your ms) and these are the letters I treasure. after all, they don't _have_ to tell you you're a good writer. or anything like it.

Keep plugging on.