PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an old sci-fi book.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Leketh
October 24th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I could use some help looking for a sci-fi series (it might only be 2 books) and this seems like the place to ask for help. I read these two books back about 10 years ago and every so often I try to find them.

All I can remember are the following items:

It was about a race of 4 armed humanoids engineered to be the best pilots in the galaxy (denser body mass to help with G's and such)
They had lost their home world and humanity had turned against them.
The main character develops mental powers as the plot progresses.

I will be eternally grateful to any one who could help.

Leketh

Paladin
October 25th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Sounds a little similar to Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Leketh
October 25th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. That is not it though. I have the entire Ender's series, and that is not the same set of books.

Yobmod
October 25th, 2005, 03:37 PM
When does Ender's game have four armed humans in? Random.

Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series has 4 armed humans called Quaddies? So it might be falling free or diplomatic imunity?

I think the Ousters in Simmons Hyperion Cantos have 4 arms, but i don't remember them being that important.

Paladin
October 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
When does Ender's game have four armed humans in? Random.

Just trying to help,.... :confused:

nealasher
October 26th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Would that be 'four-armed humans' or 'four armed humans'?

Yobmod
October 26th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Just trying to help,....

Don't mind me :) Me tetchy, trying to write my thesis, you should hear what i shout at the salepeople when they 'phone!

Would that be 'four-armed humans' or 'four armed humans'?

Oh i never thought of that. So we could be looking for any book with at least 4 people with weapons :eek:

nealasher
October 26th, 2005, 09:11 AM
It's one of those text-book examples of hyphen usage. The possessive apostrophe is another one that has me grinding my teeth.

Tars Tarkas from the Edgar Rice Burroughs 'John Carter on Mars' books? Did he have four arms, or six?

-Asher-
January 6th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I belive you want the Starwolves trilogy of books by Thorarinn Gunnersson.

Starwolves - Battle of the Ring - Tactical Error

Bob Lock
January 6th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Just wondered if the story you are thinking of is - Falling Free by Lois Mcmaster Bujold from late 80s (think it was a Nebula winner)
Revolves around genetically engineered humans who have four arms instead of two and two legs, for working in free-fall. If I remember correctly the hero breaks his conditioning and leads a revolt.

Bob

ps As I'm thinking about old scifi stories I have one which I's like to read again here is the link to my thread :)

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=298513#post298513