PDA

View Full Version : Do you think a Dark Shadows anime series would be interesting?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
October 28th, 2005, 03:51 PM
You know, I've been pondering this for a long time. What if they made a remake of the old Dark Shadows series, only this time in anime format. There could be a lot more action, and they could make it kind of like Vampire Hunter D. I think it sounds like a cool idea, what do you guys think?

Wulfa_Jones
October 29th, 2005, 06:55 AM
I don't recall that show at all! What was it? When was it on?

Zsinj
October 29th, 2005, 06:59 PM
What?!!! You mean to tell me you've never heard of Dark Shadows!! It was an old gothic dark fantasy/horror series that came on in the late 60's/ early 70's on ABC, now I wasn't alive back then, but I've watched the reruns on tv when they aired on the sci-fi channel. It started out as kind of a soap opera, but then transformed into a dark fantasy/horror series. Some think of it still as a soap opera, but imho, that's a gross misstatement. It was about a rich family named the Collins that lived in this mansion that was cursed and haunted, and in certain story arcs of the series it would go back and forth through time to the ancestors of the Collins family. The most memorable Collins was, of course, Barnabas Collins, the vampire anti-hero of the series. The series contained all the staples of gothic horror; vampires, werewolves, ghosts, witches, warlocks, demons, mutants, zombies, etc. The most famous characters in te series included Barnabas Collins, the vampire; Quentin Collins, the werewolf; Angelique, a nefarious witch and lover of Barnabas; Dr. Julia Hoffman, Barnabas' scientist sidekick; and Nicholas Blair, a sinister warlock.

Gildor
October 29th, 2005, 07:45 PM
and they could make it kind of like Vampire Hunter D.

An anime short series like D would be brilliant, especially if followed along the lines of Bloodlust, Horse drawn Carriages, Grand western Sci Fi world almost and Creatures with unique attributes, etc etc!

Can't say i've heard of Dark shadows myself :o Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but anything along the lines of D would make great eye candy!! :D

Wulfa_Jones
October 30th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Nope never seen it.

It does ring some bells though. I used to be a real TV geek, buying several cult TV magazines a month and I do seem to recall reading about it.

FicusFan
October 31st, 2005, 01:25 AM
Blasphemey ! Leave Dark Shadows alone, none of those horrible big-eyed cartoons.

I would like to see it remade in live action. I missed the short-lived remake. I think the remake can't be too slick or visual, because it was never about that. It needs to be updated without killing the spirit of the original, which is to focus on the characters. And it was a soap opera, just a gothic one.