PDA

View Full Version : I am a god of my own little worlds.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

RamblinManMike
October 29th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Does anyone else ever feel like the almighty presence behind a world created by yourself? Sometimes it feels like an odd sense of madness, to have created entire worlds that live solely in your head and on the page; characters with distinct personalities all vying against each other. Sometimes I feel like there are so many little facets of myself, all split up into different identities, that it becomes hard to separate me from my work.

If people are shaped by their experiences, do we as writers suffer? love? hate? destroy and build with our characters? Do we personally experience what we spill onto the page? And here's a more frightening or uplifting thought (depending on how you view the situation), does it change us? Somewhere deep down? Somewhere unconscious?

I have often glimpsed, but never quite identified, a certain overwhelming self-confidence, a sort of inner solitude, or quiet power associated with the few long-time writers I have met. Could it be born of a lifetime of experience spent being a god? A creator?

I'll leave you with my final thought on the subject. Sometimes I have more fun in the worlds I have written, creating and shaping, playing god, than I do in the real world, where I am but a pawn among many pawns. Sometimes I would rather hunker down and create, living in my own personal fantasy, then face the real world.

Nuff rambling, get back to me! :cool:

Dawnstorm
October 29th, 2005, 02:59 AM
To me it feels more like exploring. Hearing voices, seeing things; having conversations with myself in various personae. Kind of like schizophrenia, but with more control. ;)

RamblinManMike
October 29th, 2005, 03:50 AM
I like the way you used that word: exploring. As if everything is already there, already exists, and is simply waiting to be discovered. :)

Expendable
October 30th, 2005, 01:16 AM
I have often glimpsed, but never quite identified, a certain overwhelming self-confidence, a sort of inner solitude, or quiet power associated with the few long-time writers I have met. Could it be born of a lifetime of experience spent being a god? A creator?

Thinking along these lines can cause you to feel guilty knowing that it's not the villian who causes all the death and destruction in your stories - it's you. You are the source of all that's good and evil in the worlds and stories you create.

RamblinManMike
October 30th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Ah yes, the rather exhausting process of using sadistic license. Causing all that trouble drains me sometimes.

Annessadav
October 31st, 2005, 07:12 AM
I can't say with too much experience but, i agree with the exploring comment. This is the first time i'm serously attempting to write a novel and the characters have realy come alive for me. I have conversations pop into my head when i'm at work and feel a slight panic that i won't be able to get down all of my ideas in time. it's exciting. i get t write what i want to read and it's distracting me so much that hopefully i won't fail any of my classes...