View Full Version : Martial Arts

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Dude
October 31st, 2005, 09:51 AM
Any fans of martial arts films? What are your favourite films? Who are your favourite actors?

I'll start it off, the Bruce Lee story with Jason Scott-Lee (think that's his name) was one of the best films I think, my favourite actor is Jet Li, and he has countless great films.

Monty Mike
October 31st, 2005, 10:23 AM
I love Bruce Lee films (namely The Way of the Dragon and Enter the Dragon) as well as his son Brandon Lee who was similar yet different in many ways (loved his film Rapid Fire - recommend it to all martial artists), Jean-Claud Van Damme (I loved most of his films), Jackie Chan (great fighter and very funny).

Althoug I don't know the martial artists in the film, I really enjoyed Prodigal Son.

Ouroboros
October 31st, 2005, 10:28 AM
I'll start by saying that one of the most-hyped (and rightly so) martial arts films of recent times was Ong Bak, which I'd strongly recommend fight fans check out.

I have a love / hate relationship with the genre of martial arts films as a whole. Some of the most honest and realistic fights put down on film are actually from other genres, (here I'm thinking of 'Once Were Warriors', 'The Bourne Identity' and others) ... quite often the martial arts genre bears only a passing resemblance to the reality of physical conflicts. I'm not a big fan of the hi-wire kung fu that seems to have taken centre stage every since 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' really broke the hong kong action style in the mainstream west.

Obviously it had been done before and imports were always popular, but that was the start of everyone and their dog doing balletic kung fu (think 'Charlies Angels' et all).

Dude
October 31st, 2005, 10:40 AM
I hate it when they over-do it in films, I refuse to watch Crouching Tiger and House of Flying Daggers. I watched Hero because I like Jet Li, but despite the good story, that was a bit pathetic at some points.

Wulfa_Jones
October 31st, 2005, 12:33 PM
I think Jet Li is a little over hyped. All his Hollywood films have been rather poor. From what I've seen of this other work he is alright but still nothing to get over excited about.

Loving Kung Fu Hustle and Ong Bak was pretty cool as well.

Not really a massive fan of martial arts films - they have their time and place.

Dude
October 31st, 2005, 12:39 PM
Jet Li's over-rated yet you like kung-fu hustle... well you've got me stumped there! :(

Ouroboros
November 1st, 2005, 10:17 AM
I think the reason 'Kung Fu Hustle' received such good reviews, and appealed to so many people, was to do with the fact that it was tongue-in-cheek ... a sort of post-modern deconstruction of the martial arts genre.

Dude
November 1st, 2005, 12:02 PM
I'd be interested to know some of the views of big martial artist actors on that film, because I think it mocks it's whole position in world film.

Wulfa_Jones
November 1st, 2005, 02:24 PM
Kung Fu Hustle, like Shaolin Soccer, was a fun film. I've found all Jet-Li's English films to be generally very poor, but that said I've only seen a couple of his chinese movies and they were okay. He is a great martial artist, that I'm not debating, just the English films he's been in have been really bad. I mean those two films with 'DMX'?

I tell you who I think is an under rated martial arts actor - Mark Dacascos. Yeah he has been in some damn bad films (including one with DMX! :) ), but considering he is a damn site better actor than tha majority of martial arts actors he doesn't get much good work.

kater
November 2nd, 2005, 10:08 AM
I hate it when they over-do it in films, I refuse to watch Crouching Tiger and House of Flying Daggers. I watched Hero because I like Jet Li, but despite the good story, that was a bit pathetic at some points.

Then imo you're missing out. I think ma films come down to what you want out of it. Wushu such as CTHD, Hero and HOFD is more about story telling than it is about the actual fight scenes. It's fantastical and choreographed as such, there is no attempt toward realism. Raw ma films focus almost solely on the artist and the 'realism' of a scene, the story is often incidental and driven by the need to show off the artist's range of abilties. Ong Bak is a classic example, almost all the great stunts are in the first 40 minutes showing off Tony Jaa/ Panom Yeerum's Muay Thai skills but the story is beyond weak, riddled with the uncertain, occasionally ludicrous humour that seems to plague ma films.

I agree with Wulfa aswell, Mark Dascascos is an under-rated ma actor - I saw him in a cheap ma film called Only the Strong about capoeira and he really stood out.