PDA

View Full Version : A field of blossoms(?)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

pennywise86
October 31st, 2005, 01:48 PM
Wow, what a great place this is to get information.

Well, here's my problem of the moment. In my wip there's a scene in which the characters come to the runes of a dead city and find it surrounded by fields of flowers. Well, I didn't want to just keep using the word "flowers" over and over again, so I decided to just call them "memory-blossoms" (plus it sounds cool). My problem is, I'm not sure if blossoms are a flower that only grow on trees, or if they could actualy grow close to the ground, so that it could be said they covered the land.

Any help?

Thanks.

World Builder
October 31st, 2005, 02:16 PM
I believe blossoms can refer to any cluster of flowers, however it implies that the flowers have recently come into bloom. Might want to keep that in mind. Of course, if Memory Blossom is being used as the name of the plant, it might not matter much.

MrBF1V3
October 31st, 2005, 05:23 PM
You might want to keep in mind (or you might want to totally blow off...) that if you have more than one name for something, it can be somewhat annoying to cycle through those names in your narrative. (Are they flowers or blossoms d#*@-it!?) You can call them blossoms and describe them as flowers, you can have one character think of them as blossoms while another refers to them as flowers. You just don't want to tip off the reader than you aren't comfortable using the same word over and over again, so you decided to rotate the words to aviod being redundant and repeating yourself, it's too obvious. Be very intentional with your use of words.

B5

Dawnstorm
October 31st, 2005, 07:21 PM
Also, bear in mind that the word "flower" has two meanings:

1. The part of a plant that develops the fruit or seed
2. A type of plant (I'm too lazy to look up the definition of "flower=plant"; you know, dandelions, thistles etc.)

The word blossom only refers to meaning 1.

If you have a field of flowers, chances are you're referring to meaning 2. Therefore, you cannot call the entire thing blossom, just the blooming part.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with naming a flower "memory blossom". Just remember, if you pick a memory blossom, you still pick a flower (and not a blossom); though you could pick the blossom from the flower... I'll stop now, I think...

pennywise86
November 1st, 2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys.