PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever written a book?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Jumbo Frendie
November 3rd, 2005, 02:02 AM
Ive started to write an novel myself and found that once i got into it im flying along written 25 pages already. so how about you guys do you write?

Expendable
November 3rd, 2005, 03:23 AM
No, we just whistle here. :rolleyes:

--Ex.

tracyt1800
November 3rd, 2005, 10:03 AM
I can't ever seem to get through a novel length work. I always end up stopping and, eventually, deleting the story. Usually because
1) The story is stupid;
2) I suddenly realize that it's entirely too derivative of some other work (plagued me more when I was younger);
3) I lose interest in where the story is leading me, usually because I haven't planned well enough.

However, I always pluck out the tidbits that I like and file them away for future use.

Right now I'm sticking with short stories, although I'm planning a couple of longer works.

MrBF1V3
November 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
I've written a couple, one is in a box on my shelf. It was a lot of work, and I'm glad I wrote it, I learned a lot, it's just not that good. (maybe I should have just whistled. :rolleyes: ) I'm rewriting the other one again, making it better, enjoying the process.

When you write a longer story you have to be more organized; keep notes, keep the characters straight, map out what happened, and what you think will happen next, and remember where you kept your notes.

B5

Donshyoku
November 3rd, 2005, 12:34 PM
I can't ever seem to get through a novel length work. I always end up stopping and, eventually, deleting the story. Usually because
1) The story is stupid;
3) I lose interest in where the story is leading me, usually because I haven't planned well enough.

Same here.

I really think that if I planned, I would have a much easier time writing, but I am a horrible planner/brainstormer/prewriter.

pat5150
November 6th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Hi there, fellow writers! :D

I have completed the final polish on my first fantasy novel, and I am currently shopping it around in an attempt to find an agent to represent me.

And since most literary agencies have little desire to represent unpublished fantasy authors, I have begun another novel. Which hopefully, once done, will perhaps allow me to get a foot in the door of the publishing world. And then maybe my fantasy novel will find its way to a bookstore!

Don't give up, all of you! ;)

Patrick

David Forbes
November 6th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Patrick, don't give up. I wrote for years, threw out several crappy novels (though I learned a lot about what not to do), and finally, after a year of sending out more than 70 queries, found an agent (the same guy who represents Tad Williams and C.J. Cherryh, among others) who got me a three novel contract with HarperCollins. The first book, THE AMBER WIZARD, comes out in April. (I just finished reading the first proof copy, which was very cool -- seeing it typeset as it will appear in print makes it much more "real" than reading my own laser-printed manuscript).

I have an unrelated YA novel out at two publishers as well. It's hard work, and very discouraging, but it can be done. But you'd better develop a thick skin if you haven't already, because you'll get LOTS of rejections. That's just the way it works.

tracyt1800
November 7th, 2005, 11:10 AM
The first book, THE AMBER WIZARD, comes out in April.

Congrats David!

So, how long does the process take from the time you get a contract to publish the book until the book actually comes out? I bet that's an agonizing wait.

David Forbes
November 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM
I was verbally offered the contract on October 1st of 2004. I didn't actually see the contract until this past April because my agent wasn't happy with some of the language changes to HarperCollins' standard contract, and there was a lot of back and forth with the lawyers.

Yes, it's been an agonizing wait. The average lead time for a novel from contract signing to publication is 12-18 months, sometimes two years. The subsequent books in my series are scheduled to appear 12 months apart. The second book is completed and I'm halfway through my first polish of the mss. I'll do one more pass before I send it off to my agent, which I hope to do by mid-December.

tracyt1800
November 7th, 2005, 11:29 AM
I was verbally offered the contract on October 1st of 2004.

Wow ... that part has to suck almost as bad as getting all the rejection slips. It'd be like being a kid and your parents telling you on Dec. 20th that Christmas is being postponed until mid-January. You know it's coming but you just have to keep waiting.