View Full Version : I drew some maps -- Opinions wanted/Map issues

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Generalbassist
November 4th, 2005, 11:51 AM
I've been trying to draw a map to the world I built. Please give some feedback on these maps. What do you think could make them better?

http://photobucket.com/albums/c347/generalbassist/?action=view&current=map33.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c347/generalbassist/?action=view&current=map22.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c347/generalbassist/?action=view&current=map11.jpg

If these don't turn up as links, can someone please do it for me? Thank you

These are not finsihed, nor in their full size

Evil Agent
November 4th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Those are really nice, especially the water. I found very few place names, however, and the ones that were there were a bit too small to read. But otherwise, they look great!

Snowie
November 4th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I like your maps. The rune-ish feel to the lettering and the blackwork is good. You might wish to attempt closer styles between the land masses and the water: The water appears almost photographic in nature, while the land masses use matte/flat colors (in keeeping with the feel that they are primitive/possibly ancient/foreign). I think the use of flat color for the oceans would "pop" the land out more. The ships are a touch of genius.

kater
November 4th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Very nice but I think they may be a bit small. I know there's no size limit on islands but making them bigger would give you some scope for extra features, they're a bit plain. I wish I could draw like that :)

Boll Weevil
November 4th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Nice drawings. Impressive and talented. I like interesting looking continents. A complexity of coastline and internal features. Look at a map of Europe and Middle Earth for the respective coastline and interior complexity I mean.

Very talented stuff. I draw like a five year old with her fingers cut off...

Michael B
November 5th, 2005, 01:26 AM
They are very good. Map 22 needed labelling, but that is the only negative point I can think of making. Map 33 is as professional as any that I have seen in any sci fi or fantasy book.

Generalbassist
November 5th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Thank you, I had no idea people would like them so much, my friend thinks they look too childish(specially the forests, but I like the forests to be like that, I think they have a "magical" touch.)

As for place names, I have over 300 place names, some of them on another map that was originally intended to be my world map, but then I continued drawing other maps and they got better and better. When I choose which map to use, I'll add the names.

These maps are only 50 % of their original sizes, so they are not really so small.

Thanks for the suggestion Snowie, I'll take that in consideration.

Here are the first two maps I ever drew, they have many place names, but I think I've become better at drawing since then.
If you notice a stupid name, or a name that has already been used, please let me know. I have not googled all the names.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c347/generalbassist/?action=view&current=Theendlesssea.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c347/generalbassist/?action=view&current=Island.jpg

If any of you are interested in maps for your books or rpg's, please let me know. You can give me a sketch or just a description and I'll make you one for the price of one paperback book(fair price, don't you think?)

Miriamele
November 5th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Those older maps are really gorgeous, I love your style. The place names however are too small to read!

The price of a pb book seems a bit low, you should charge more for such a nice looking map. I might ask you to draw one for me--I have a map designed for my fantasy book, a book which has a nordic kind of feel, but the map I drew looks boring and plain. I don't have much artistic flair when it comes to drawing.

I am in the process of moving right now, and I'm not even sure where my book notes are, but if you are still hanging around sffworld in a month or two when I get myself organized maybe I'll ask you to do a map for me! :)

Generalbassist
November 6th, 2005, 02:14 AM
P.S The ships and single trees are not hand drawn, they are fonts.(forgot to mention)

I'll be here in a month:)

I charge little bevause I don't expect to make money from this, I just want my maps to be seen and used. And I like paperbacks :)
It didn't take me long to make them either, all the maps you see are made during the last month or so.

I started drawing on a map yesterday that looks to become much better than the other ones! Maybe I'll charge two paperbacks for that one:)

David Forbes
November 7th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I like your maps a lot. I've always enjoyed drawing maps and following the action across the maps in the books I read.

I posted the map to my first novel in another thread but don't want to thread fart here. If you'd like to see it let me know and I'll drop it in.