PDA

View Full Version : For fun: What is your muse like?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

onions
November 9th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Neil Gaiman described his muse at inkwell in 2002:

"Harassed (...) She never knows what she's going to have to come up
with next.
(...)
I think she has a slightly hunted look, actually.
On the stage I compared her to Steve King's muse, who, i said, spends
most of her time going "hey, Steve, you see that chair? you could do a
story about a chair THAT EATS PEOPLE!"
I think my muse has tangled hair and a butterfly mind..."

So what's your muse like?

I have to admit that Leonard Cohen is my muse at the moment - I've been listening to his music every blasted day now. I know it's excessive - and illogical - but for some reason it does help me write my alternative history-novel!

Regards,
onions

JamesL
November 9th, 2005, 08:11 AM
My muse has a split personality - some days he sits on my shoulder and a veritable spew of words fly from his mouth and the story rattles along at an alarming pace.

Other days he sits on my shoulder looking bored and from time to time whispering in my ear, "Admit it. You'd rather be playing video games."

:D

Snowie
November 9th, 2005, 10:51 AM
My muse is a very gloomy individual, given to sighing and making remarks such as "You know, Vinnie [she means Vincent Van Gogh] never saw penny one from his work whilst he was alive...did I mention that another artist, much better than you, was found hanging in a cold, lonely garret just this morning? Poor thing, she'd been dead for a week before anyone even noticed..." and so on and so forth. The worst is when she insists I read the best-seller lists, and squeals, "Ooooh! Another best-seller for Nora Roberts! *She* must be a wonderful writer, with all those books she writes, don't you think?!" HA

Worse, when I'm actually writing and painting, she tends to insinuate it's futile, because I hear smothered laughter, and then all my portraits start looking like my eldest [evil] sister, and my writing degenerates into long rants about how the poor main character has it tough in life...

I hate it when she prances back and forth along the top of the monitor, chanting, "You-can't-fire-me! You-can't-fire-me!"

onions
November 9th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Lol!
You guys don't have very effective muses, do you?
Why can't you fire them, are they "organised"?

:)
onions

Holbrook
November 9th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Lol!
You guys don't have very effective muses, do you?
Why can't you fire them, are they "organised"?

:)
onions

Because, bad muse is better than no muse at all..... :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Snowie
November 9th, 2005, 01:36 PM
These muses can't be fired because, unfortunately, they live in our minds. Mine's pretty effective, actually -- you ought to see how she handles the bullwhip she's always brandishing ["Get back to work! Get off that forum and get back to work!"]...

Oops, have to run...

Ow!

KatG
November 9th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Mine tends to fall asleep. I think it's the demands on the right brain and general sleep debt.

tielserrath
November 10th, 2005, 01:24 PM
...is that a word?

Don't have a muse. I'd settle for a husband, cos the washing up is piled in the sink, the fridge is empty and the temperature's dropping at night. Men always chuck a couple of packets of biscuits in the shopping trolley 'for emergencies'. In fact, I think I'd make a good wife because I spend all my free time writing so would have no problem with them being out at the pub, football etc... :)

JRMurdock
November 10th, 2005, 03:01 PM
My muse likes to talk faster than I can type dag-nab-it. Though I am trying to reign him in (does a muse have to be female?).

Currently my muse keeps trying to get me to the keyboard more than I have time for and spits out ideas at a maddening pace. Hopefully I can keep up with him.

onions
November 11th, 2005, 11:10 AM
My muse likes to talk faster than I can type dag-nab-it. Though I am trying to reign him in (does a muse have to be female?).

Currently my muse keeps trying to get me to the keyboard more than I have time for and spits out ideas at a maddening pace. Hopefully I can keep up with him.

It's nice when they're still young and enthusiastic, isn't it?

I think my muse is probably someone depressed, sporting a receding hairline, who smokes too much and keeps wanting me to kill off characters.