PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been published?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

tracyt1800
November 11th, 2005, 09:52 AM
The Have you ever written a book? (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12080) thread made me think of this.

Adn how about some details?

Novel, novella, short stories, etc? Did you get paid, get free copies of the magazine, get something else? Self-publish or go through a publishing house or established magazine or newspaper?

I have not been published for any fictional works. I did work at a college newspaper about XX years ago (yes, double digits) and was published pretty much every day for about 3 years. And I was paid (minimum wage for 4 hrs a day max despite working 6 to 10 hrs per day). But ... that's not what I was talking about.

However, I'm planning to mail off my first short story next week after I get one final critique.

Tracy

BLACK HAMMER
November 11th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Learn how to market your own book online. Whats so great about the big publishing companies anyway. The internet will show you what they have been doing for years.

tracyt1800
November 11th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Learn how to market your own book online. Whats so great about the big publishing companies anyway. The internet will show you what they have been doing for years.

OK ... so have you been self-published?

JamesL
November 11th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I have been published...I had a short, very bad poem published in an anthology when I was at school lol... :D

Seriously, my only 'proper' published work is my short story "Musings of a Vampire", which appeared in Nocturne 1.5 - a British horror magazine. :)

I'm currently awaiting my contributor's copy and my fee. ;)

BLACK HAMMER
November 11th, 2005, 02:29 PM
OK ... so have you been self-published?

Yes. TOTAL CREATIVE CONTROL!
Are you looking to make millions on your stories? If not, post them on this site and I will read them.

Rocket Sheep
November 12th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Just some mag stuff and five books, scuse me for bleating my own baaa!

It's a mixture, children's, comedy, sf, and non-fic...

Dec 2005 Becoming a Children's Writer (marketing has started)
Aug 2004 Lost Property - Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine Issue 14
Jul 2004 The Beast of Moogill - Blake Education
Jun 2004 Failed First Contact Attempt 957 - Antipodean SF
Jun 2004 10 Ways to Tell If Your Star Trek Costume is Too Small - Visions Magazine
Dec 2003 Jericho's Gate - Antipodean SF Awards Issue
Oct 2003 A Red Hot Pet - Blake Education
Aug 2003 Diary of a French Eel - Hullabaloo
Apr 2003 Diary of a New Zealand Sheep - Hullabaloo
Apr 2003 Calf Day - Hullabaloo
Apr 2003 News-Zealand - Hullabaloo
Apr 2003 To Eat or Not to Eat Kiwi - Hullabaloo
Oct 2002 Take Me to Your Leader - Blake Education
Jun 2002 Interface Shadow - Antipodean SF
May 2002 Jericho's Gate - Antipodean SF
Dec 2001 Her Good Man - Reader's World
Sep 2001 Empty Spaces - Scifidimensions
Oct 2000 Honestly Ernest! and Ernest's Mice Mischief - Nelson ITP

Holbrook
November 12th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Can't compare with the sheep, but;

Seven Threads co-author with Hereford Eye published by EQ books. review Here (http://www.sfsite.com/09a/st183.htm)

Short story "Death Won't be Cheated" will be published in Event Horizon issue 3 in May 2006

You might have "TOTAL CREATIVE CONTROL" as Black Hammer says, when self-publishing or e-publishing without any editorial input. But you also don't have your ideas challenged or anyone pushing you to "do it better."

Another pair of eyes and a sharp mind behind them help you improve your work more than anything.

Mathain
November 12th, 2005, 03:35 AM

Yes, learn how to market your own book online... when you've had it put out by a genuine publisher.

Do not self-publish. Do not vanity publish.

I cannot stress that enough.

Writers *need* editors.

BLACK HAMMER
November 12th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Yes, learn how to market your own book online... when you've had it put out by a genuine publisher.

Do not self-publish. Do not vanity publish.

I cannot stress that enough.

Writers *need* editors.

I agree writers need editors. You can find them online. Plus all the right steps to self-publish

David Forbes
November 12th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I had a mainstream short story published called "The Third Law" and was paid $200.

I am currently under contract with HarperCollins for a three-novel fantasy series. The first book, THE AMBER WIZARD, will hit stores on April 1, 2006. Yes, I was paid a pretty decent advance. The other books will follow at one year intervals.

I also have a young adult novel called FOREVERNESS out at a few places. My agent also said that he is working on a three-book deal in Germany for my series.

I am not a fan of self-publishing. Very few people take it seriously because absolutely anything can be published via vanity presses. The name escapes me at the moment, but a group of professional SF/F writers took turns writing random garbage and sent it to one of the larger self-publishers, who accepted the mess and actually put the thing out.

I love writing but I also want to be paid for it, with the goal of making a living at it full-time. I'm well on my way to that now, but that is pretty much impossible if you self-publish. And the editorial input I've gotten has been very helpful. I certainly don't feel like I've lost any creative control.