PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

AdRobinson
November 14th, 2005, 04:17 PM
I hope you can help me. I'm writing a synopsis for a book and, while jotting down my ideas, a short story that I read about ten years ago popped into my head. I have been trying to hunt it down but I can't remember the name, author or book it came from. It is, however, a famous book by a famous author.

The premise of the story is something like this: Scientists discover the secret of dimensional space travel and send a load of 'astronauts' through the gateways. A few of them return but they commit suicide before the authorities have chance to find out what they experinced. A team of psychologists are put together to try and stop them killing themselves but they don't last very long. The story is told by one of the head doctors assigned to the latest case.

Now, I was sure it was a story in Burning Chrome by William Gibson but I've had a flick through and I can't find a match. I remember reading Asimov, Neal Stephenson, Jeff Noon, Michael Marshall Smith back then among others. Can you shed any light on this? It is eating me up inside.

Many thanks in advance,
Adrian

nhall
November 14th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Hmm. Sounds a little bit like the premise to Event Horizon... But other than that movie, it does sound a bit familiar. I'll do some checking for you.

Cheers,
Nick