View Full Version : Brainstroming

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Bardos
April 2nd, 2002, 08:43 AM
A subplot in my story is this: Kingdom A with a lot of intrigue, machinations, etc. Some embassabors have come from a neighbour kingdom B. One lord among them is 70 years old, but the sort of old man who has traveled a LOT in his life; a knowledgable and hard man. Now, this guy is dangerous (according to the people of the kingdom A); he influences the young prince who has recently come to power and is going to be king in a few days. "This is uotrageous! --People in kingdom B are barbarians, not civilized, as in kingdom A," think the people of kingdom A. So a lady from kingdom A, who has lost her husband in a recent war with kingdom B (but now there is peace among the kingdoms; a treaty), decides to end the lord's threat. She approaches him and talks with him, flirts with him. Then what? No poison; she wants to make it seem like an accident. (Info: The lords wife --a baronees of kingdom B-- is dead; she died in her sleep.)

So. What do you think? How could she (try to) kill him? (Will she do it? That I don't even know yet --and I have a very pushy lady here who wants to find out! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif)

What I want from you is some brainstroming. Ideas --whatever comes into your head. Remember it must be like and accident!

kassimir funk
April 2nd, 2002, 09:18 AM
Well.... she could always have the lord framed for doing something he didn't do. The insuing scandal could force him out of the country.

But if you want to kill him........
hmmmmmmmmmm.... there are about a billion different things that could happen "accidentally"

He could slip on some soapy stairs, have an accidnet while riding, or maybe.....
what if he were exposed to someone who was stricken with a horrible disease. A disease that he, at 70 yrs old, could not fight off.

I'm guessing that you want it to be a very clever death. I would somehow try to exploit the fact that he is 70.

Hope I'm bein helpful,

Da Funk

wastra
April 2nd, 2002, 09:27 AM
In the middle ages (assuming your story is set in a medeval setting) Dying during travels was so common it was hardly worth mentioning.

if he was 70, he would be very susceptible to death from anything ranging from cancer to the common cold- try pneumonia, for example. Maybe she takes him far from the castle on a night she expects rain, and hides his cloak. Or maybe she simply sees to it that his window is left open on aparticularly cold night when he is too drunk to wake up.

She could simply get him so excited that he has a heart attack- maybe she seduces him and convinces hi mto dance at a public function, causing a heart attack. If it happened in public (unless someone knew of her plans) there is no way to accuse her of murder- the guy just got a little to oexcited and his ticker shut down.

Hunting accidents are a little overused, but easy to manage. ust ahve her do somehting to spook his horse- burr in the saddle, or some poison, that causes it to throw hte old man, killing him.

She could accuse him of rape/some kind of crime, and have him hauled off to prison and hung. Even if the prince loved the guy, the locals would likely be crying for his head if they believed such accusations. If they were incited enough, the Prince would haveno choice but bow to their demands or face riots (a very common occurance in parts of medeval Europe).

Lastly, if there is a great deal of intrigue, try having her kill him, and frame yet another enemy for it, trying to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. If the guy has any other enemies, it should be easy to raise suspicions about them.

Be subtle, but be creative.

[This message has been edited by wastra (edited April 02, 2002).]

Bardos
April 2nd, 2002, 09:41 AM
Now that I look at his age again (I have so many characters that I loose track of, sorry http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/biggrin.gif) he's 62. But what Wastra said about the cold and Kassimir about the desease are still very, very, very inetresting, I think. My thoughts haven't traveled in that direction at all! Thanx guys; you're great!

Waiting eagerly for more!

Note also that the lady in question is 50 years old (I'm sure this time --I checked it out! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif).

wastra
April 2nd, 2002, 10:10 AM
Here's an idea;

She gets him so smitten with her, that he thinks of himself as a young man again (you would need to develop this over several chapters). Eventually, she finds some great soldier to come in and insult her (in disguise, of course) and goads the old man into "defending her honor" so to speak, knowing that there's no way he could beat the soldier in a fair fight.

It'll look fair, a simple duel that he lost (and unbeknownst to everyone else, he really never had hope of winning).

If you wanted her later to get caught, the soldier's true identity can be revealed, and some connection to her can be established.

mul
April 2nd, 2002, 10:28 AM
From a story telling point of view, I feel it would be much more interesting if she enamors herself to him - and then slowly and subtly undermines his sanity, credibility, and self-confidence. She does not have to kill him to destroy him - and you can make him love her for it all the while. Erode his stature amongst those who look up to him. Ultimately make him question his own judgement, and whom he can truly trust. Undermine his power, destroy the man. Even those who might suspect her treachery would be powerless to stop it. I think you would get more writing mileage out of an intrigue angle then a simple plot to knock-off the old codger. Best of luck regardless of your choice.

cassandra
April 5th, 2002, 05:26 AM
If he's 62, and a crafty old war horse, she's not going to put anything over on him, certaintly not by seduction. I doubt she could arrange anything to happen to the lord without implicating herself.
The best way for her to get to him is through his children, or grandchildren. She can manipulate either events or people to gain political ground against his family, or to possibly plot the death or defilement of his progeny.
Another thought: who said that the lord didn't do her a favor by offing her husband, sniveling whiny fop that he was? http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif
Recommended background viewing for ideas about politics & intrigue: Dangerous Liasons (if you can find the book in English, or if you can read French and can find the original, that might be even more interesting than the movie).

[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited April 05, 2002).]

Bardos
April 5th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Well, actually, she does have a hard time, Cassandra; and yet hasn't found a chance to do something. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif The idea about his children is interesting, thought; and, to tell the truth, I'm writing something close to it at the mo (the lady has gotten involved somehow with the lord's daughter's man). Btw, it wasn't the lord who killed her husband; it was the king of the other kingdom. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif
Thanx for you input, anyway.

cassandra
April 10th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Buh. I don't know I thought (assumed) Old Lord has killed husband of Revenge Lady. Must have gotten lost in all those kingdoms, lords, ladies, and kings. Sorry about that. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Se'dray-on
May 14th, 2002, 07:51 AM
One idea is to have her seduce the warlord's son. The old Lord is a well respected warrior but doesn't know how to identify with artistic son. Have the Lady seduce the son and slowly make his animosity to his father grow until he is so enraged he kills his father.

Just my humble opinion.