View Full Version : Critique: Fantasy names

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bethelamon
November 18th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I'd appreciate some constructive criticisms for the names I have for the world I am currently building...
Any sound particularly cheesy or crap? Any you really like?

Note that alot of countries, cities etc have similar names. This isn't accidental. So Vennindorf (formerly Ereth Vennin) is the capital city of Vennimair, etc...

COUNTRIES/NATIONS/STATES
Lebbenia
D'artec
Nethriä
Miraland
Diranhad
Ardiegna
Tarinon
Garnesia
Hiranmair
Vennimair
Methin
Esgharad
Magretanion
Elsterin
Heradheim
Calanior
Dhainaith
Darenarc
Nemaria

CITIES
Diranec
Aramas
Antirol
Newport
Hoche
Altanesea
Numad
Bruin
Celdin
Vennindorf
Dhainaith
Lhaemad
Minaith
Diranec

SAINTS (Ancient god-like beings)
Uritheon
Thineon
Arceon
Miranar
Yedenain
Bethelamon
Cyroir
Caradhain
Arathain
Eldeleon

ANCIENT CITIES OF THE SAINTS
Ereth Dhain
Ereth Arc
Ereth Eln
Ereth Miran
Ereth Cairl
Ereth Garn
Ereth Cathion
Ereth Nemalas
Ereth Vennin
Ereth Hiran

MOUTAIN RANGES, RIVERS, FORESTS, SEAS, ETC...
Silver Mountains
Great Wall Mountains
Iron Peaks
Grey Hills
The Great Forest
The Forest of Shadows
Greenwoods
Blackwoods
Pinewoods
The Wild Woods
Northern Ocean
Southern Ocean
Eastern Sea
Nemarien Sea
Gulf of Mirathel
The Weathered Isle
Wastes of Unnock
Wild Lands
Plains of Gulden
Gulf of Toroch
The Little Duchies
The Red Sands
The Fields of Heminold
River Rheme
River Emiel
River Thold
Ennith Thold
Lake Enna
Mountains of Syme

U-Borat
November 19th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Newport needs to change. it sounds os modern compared to the rest. also, some of the oceans and mountain ranges are rather bland, like Suothern Ocean and northern Ocean. u might want to make them sound more exotic. im also not really a fan of cities having a similar name to their countriy. but if that is your preference, thats fine.

Mathain
November 19th, 2005, 06:41 AM
I agree, get rid of "Newport". It sticks out like a sore thumb.

I would also suggest reappraising your names for geographical features. How do you go from "Diranec" to "Eastern Ocean"? And why is it "East", anyway? Or "ocean"?

But my main complaint is that there seems to be no real coherence to the naming scheme, other than your city/country explanation. I don't get any sense of culture from these names, no ethnicity. They all appear too random and cobbled-together, despite the repetition of some internal bits within the words themselves.

My two cents.

Michael B
November 19th, 2005, 07:34 AM
naming scheme, other than your city/country explanation. I don't get any sense of culture from these names, no ethnicity. They all appear too random and cobbled-together, despite the repetition of some internal bits within the words themselves.
In fact there is such a distinct difference in the names of the countries/cities and the geological features that it almost grates.

Holbrook
November 19th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Actually I am wondering why you want constructive criticisms on what appear to be abstract names. For without knowledge of story that is set in this world the names don't mean anything.

You get a feel for a place when you read the story. The name either feels right or not to the reader

And to be honest is it anyone else's business what you call the towns/cities/countires etc in your world. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BLACK HAMMER
November 19th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Actually I am wondering why you want constructive criticisms on what appear to be abstract names. For without knowledge of story that is set in this world the names don't mean anything.

You get a feel for a place when you read the story. The name either feels right or not to the reader

And to be honest is it anyone else's business what you call the towns/cities/countires etc in your world. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I Agree Holbrook.

Bob Ross the Painter alway's said "It's your own little world, so do what you want to it." But, and its a big but. If you want to keep your reader wanting more, stay away from wacky names like "Gurfroidinhimgrel" I see it all the time with young writers. I use the KISS rule. "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID"

Annessadav
November 19th, 2005, 08:28 AM
two of your countries sound something like labia and estrogen...or maybe i'm just thinking strangely today. secondly- two of your cities are real cities i.e. Newport and Bruin. there were quite a few that i really liked though. I have a lot of trouble coming up with names, but most of yours sound original...other than the gret forest- that's a little cliche...just wondering- but have you taken the fantasy exam? keep it up though! try making maps of the worlds you're creating and see how the names fit together

Dawnstorm
November 19th, 2005, 09:41 AM
What I found interesting is that you have more countries than cities. ;)

Also, it would be easier to critique if we knew what city goes where; what languages are spoken where...

What that means, I guess, is I agree with Holbrook and Black Hammer. Not much one can say without context.

And I suggest you have at least one seven syllable name that every character pronounces differently and that causes lots of confusion. Make it the name of an emperor, so they can't use an abbreviation without sounding disrespectful. :p

Bethelamon
November 19th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Ok, here I will explain how all the names connect. Basically they are taken from the ancient times and the modern times - there was a period when the world fell into ruin, and a new world was built upon the ruins of the ancient cities. Some names, customs etc survived or changed, some nations were never heard of again. Alot of the modern day capital cities are built on the ruins of ancient cities, while some of the new nations have been built from scratch.
Some names do sound much more modern than others. This is intentional. For example, Calanior is an ancient country no longer around, Newport is a modern, recently-built city.
These are all taken from the maps I have made. It is much clearer on the maps.
First I will give the name of the city/country. The name in (brackets) is then the capital city of the country, or the country the city belongs to. The names in [square brackets] are cities, countries connected to this one. The bit in italic will show what the city/country was known as in the ancient days if it was known then. For example....
Diranec (Diranhad) [Tarinon, Aramas] Formerly Ereth Arc
Means the city of Diranec, formerly known as Ereth Arc, is the capital of Diranhad. Tarinon is a region of Diranhad, and Aramas is another city of Diranhad.
Don't worry, im not expecting you to look at this in detail and undestand it all, but just understand that I have put thought into the names and how they connect, and that they are not just random names off the top of my head thrown together.

Ancient Cities
Ereth Dhain (Dhainaith) [Minaith]
Minaith (Dhainaith) [Ereth Dhain]
Ereth Arc (Darenarc)
Ereth Eln (Calanior)
Ereth Miran
Ereth Cairl
Ereth Garn (Garnesia)
Ereth Cathion (Arden)
Ereth Nemalas (Nemaria) [Elsterin, Celdin]
Celdin (Nemaria) [Ereth Nemalas, Elsterin]
Ereth Vennin (Vennimair)
Ereth Hiran (Hiranmair)

[B]Ancient Countries/Regions
Dhainaith (Ereth Dhain) [Minaith]
Minaith (Ereth Dhain) [Dhainaith]
Darenarc (Ereth Arc)
Calanior (Ereth Eln)
Arden (Ereth Cathion)
Nemaria (Ereth Nemalas) [Elsterin, Celdin]
Elsterin (Ereth Nemalas) [Celdin]
Vennimair (Ereth Vennin)
Hiranmair (Ereth Hiran)
Esgharad

Modern cities
Diranec (Diranhad) [Tarinon, Aramas] Formerly Ereth Arc
Aramas (Diranhad) [Tarinon, Diranec]
Antirol (Miraland) Formerly Ereth Miran
Newport Formerly Ereth Eln
Hoche (Heradheim)
Altanasea (D’artec)
Numad (Nethria) [Lhaemad] Formerly Ereth Cathion
Lhaemad (Nethria) [Numad]
Celdin (Elsterin) [Ereth Nemalas, Nemaria]
Vennindorf (Vennimair) Formely Ereth Vennin
Ereth Garn (Garnesia)

[B]Modern Countries/Regions
Ardiegna
Diranhad (Diranec) [ Tarinon, Aramas] Formely Darenarc
Tarinon (Diranec) [Diranhad, Aramas]
Miraland (Antirol) [Bruin]
Heradheim (Hoche)
D’artec (Altanesea)
Nethria (Numad) [Lhaemad]
Magretanion [Nemaria]
Elsterin (Celdin) [Magretanion, Nemaria]
Esgharad
Vennimair (Vennindorf)
Garnesia (Ereth Garn)

About the changes you have suggested. Im still gonna stand by Newport, it is supposed to be a modern city.
I have searched for all these names, somebody says Bruin is a real city. I will do some research, some might change.
The names of forests, mountains etc are working names. Some, like the Great Forest, I realise are a bit unoriginal and will probably change sometime.

About ethnicity. These aren't names from all over the world, just from a europe-sized continent where the focus of my story takes place. So they dont vary much in style, I know. All the people of this continent speak the same language, so the names are not going to vary as much as say French and German names.

Someone just said there are more countries than cities... so far I just have the capital cities and a few other important ones. More will be added!

Mathain
November 19th, 2005, 11:20 PM
About ethnicity. These aren't names from all over the world, just from a europe-sized continent where the focus of my story takes place. So they dont vary much in style, I know. All the people of this continent speak the same language, so the names are not going to vary as much as say French and German names.

Having been to Europe a few times, I find this highly unlikely. Everyone on the continent speaks the same language? Why? How did that happen? If you look at Europe, there are a whole heck of a lot of cultures crammed into a small area. How did your world come to develop differently, especially if they do not have modern communications?