PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my cultures, Part 1

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Se'dray-on
May 21st, 2002, 04:22 AM
Please help with my cultures. I need all the help I can get. Any suggestions and comments would be appreiciated.

TAKA - (Africans) Tall lanky bodies, wiry muscles. Clean shaven faces, long black hair. Dark tanned skin, nearly black. Quick and graceful. Mainly hunters. World renowned archers. The Taka have exceptional sight. Capital city is Shen al Callan. The Taka are closely allied with the Gideon. Their futures are tied together, what happens to one affects the other. The Taka reside in ancient forests. They live up among the tree tops. Many legends abound about the natural beauty of the Taka cities.
The Taka reside in the 5 Great Forests. They are called:

1 - Cirion, 1A = Shen al Callan(Union Capital), 1B = Fallen Dale
2 - Isildar, 2A = Coo'Van, 2B = Silvintine
3 - Luthien, 3A = Ishran, 3B = Meroon, 3C = Vilya
4 - Düren, 4A = Hithlain, 4B = Quenya
5 - Arvernin, 5A = Carimrie, 5B = Phial, 5C = Rhymes

The Taka Class system is not based on land ownership. Each Great Forest is ruled by a Laurelin, and each Province within the that Forest is ruled by a Thain, and each town within that Province is ruled by a Arwen. The Arwen answers to the Thain and the Thain answers to the Laurelin and the Laurelin answers to the King/Queen. The Palantir(Noble Class) must rule at least a town or city in a Province. Their power and influence is determined by their rank {Laurelin, Thain or Arwen} in the Political Ladder and the economic importance of their areas in their respective Ranks. The ranks are hereditary to a degree, but each new Ruling Palantir must be confirmed by the King/Queen. Each Taka Palantir rules jointly with their Gideon counterpart.

Tradition - Once a Male Taka comes of age (16) they must be able to shoot a 200 pound bow at least 300 yards. A Female a 150 pound to 200 yards.
---------------------------------------------
GIDEON - (Irish or Scottish) Short stocky, broad build. Light skinned and lots of facial hair. Short black or red hair. Extremely strong. Main weapon of choice is the War Axe, but they are familiar with spears, short knives and short bow. Main occupation is Hunting and Tracking. World's best Trackers. Nothing escapes the notice of a Gideon Tracker. Capital city is Shen al Callan (Union Capital). Gideon live on the forest floor beneath the cities of the Taka. The Gideon live in the trunks of the trees. All public buildings have stairs leading up to the Taka cities.
The Gideon reside in the 5 Great Forests. They are called:

1 - Cirion, 1A = Shen al Callan(Union Capital), 1B = Fallen Dale
2 - Isildar, 2A = Coo'Van, 2B = Silvintine
3 - Luthien, 3A = Ishran, 3B = Meroon, 3C = Vilya
4 - Düren, 4A = Hithlain, 4B = Quenya
5 - Arvernin, 5A = Carimrie, 5B = Phial, 5C = Rhymes

The Gideon Class system is not based on land ownership but on leadership. Each Great Forest is ruled by a Laurelin, and each Province within that Forest is ruled by a Thain, and each town within that Province is ruled by a Arwen. The Arwen answers to the Thain and the Thain answers to the Laurelin and the Laurelin answers to the King/Queen. The Palantir(Noble Class) must rule at least a town or city in a Province. Their power and influence is determined by their rank {Laurelin, Thain or Arwen} in the Political Ladder and the economic importance of their areas in their respective Ranks. The ranks are hereditary to a degree, but each new Ruling Palantir must be confirmed by the King/Queen. Each Gideon Palantir rules jointly with their Taka counterpart.

Tradition - Once a Gideon comes of age (16) they are sent out into the Forest to survive for one week with just a hunting knife and some flint.
=============================================
AMEIURIDAE - (Hawaiians, Australians) Various sizes, but no higher than 5'6, with skin that is darkly tanned. Their eyes are various shades of blue. Their hair can be dark or light brown. Both their clothing and hair is pretty tattered. They don't wear shoes. They sail in superior ships and are the premier traders of the World. The Ameiuridae call themselves the Lords of the Sea for a good reason.

The Ameiuridae have no true class system. Through hard work and great skill anybody can, in theory, advance to any Station. The Sea is a harsh taskmaster. There is no time for discussion or diplomacy. On their ship the Captain is Sovereign until such time as they join with the Quick, Swift or Fleet..

A Quick is 10 to 30 ships. The Sovereign with the most experience at Sea becomes the Group Sovereign. A Swift is 30 to 80 ships. The Sovereign with the most experience at Sea becomes the Sovereign Pilot.

Tradition - An Ameiuridae come of age (16) must spend one week with the Ryder.
KANCHO - (Arabs) Have short black hair. Roughly 6 foot and lanky. They live in the Great Waste. Their society revolves around water. There is a big fresh water lake in the middle of the Great Waste and it's called Oasain<Oasis> and the Capital city is called Miragia<Mirage>. Every 1 in 3 children are chosen to be trained as fighters. They are the World's greatest fighters. From sunup to sundown they train with their weapons. Their society is highly disiplined and regimented.

The Kancho live in the Great Waste and along the edges. They live in Cities and they are called:
A - Miragia,
B - Meigoa,
C - Aldazar,
D - Reyian
E - Dayren,
F - Sha'Chol,
G - Sovin Core,
H - Hamai,
I - Shar'Tain,
J - Shaarin,
K - Mai Din,
L - Tarnelle,
M - Aethan

The Kancho Class system is based on who owns the most water. In theory the Throne owns all water, but in actuality whom ever finds the water owns it. The Jyn(Noble Class) are almost always a Warrior Family. Their status depends on how much water they own and how far back their warrior ancestery goes. In times of War, all the water all reverts back to the Crown for dispensement. Each city pays tribute to the Crown, but each is semi-independent of the others. In times of War they come together but in normal times they always fight amongst themselves.

Traditions - Once a Kancho comes of age(14) they must venture into the Waste and go for one week without water.
LA'QUIEN - (Native) Medium height, extremely smart, blue to green eyes and hair. Skin is naturally, lightly tanned. They are a nomadic people who follow the herd. They breed and ride the best horses. They have the best Calvery in the World. They live on a broad rolling plain.

Traditions - When a La'Quien comes of age (13) they must catch and tame a wild horse.
RYDER - (Aztecs or Himalayans) Short stocky people who rarely average over 5'3. Skin is coloured a copper tan. Hair is copper, red or light brown. They work with the metals of the Earth. Extremely resistant to heat. Preferred weapon of choice is the War Hammer. Live in and on the mountains of the World. The Capital city of the Ryder is Ryouin <Rock>.

Traditions - A Ryder come of age(15) must spend one week with the Ameiuridae.
STEYNE - (Swedish or Scandinavian) Tall stocky people who are rarely under 6'5. Skin is fair. They have long blond hair and almost always have beards. They live in the frozen North. They are exceptional fighters. Preferred weapons of choice are the Ax and Broad Sword.

The Steyne are a close knit tribal society. If one in the Tribe is in trouble others will immediately help.

Traditions - When a Steyne male comes of age (13) they must journey to the Black Caves and face their 3 worst fears to join the Tribal Warriors.
TROY - (Japanese, Chinese, Tibetan) Short skinny, highly intelligent, technologically advanced race. Skin is pale. Hair is black. They live in the lush jungles of the South. The Troy are a sneaky and manipulative people. They will scheme and plot for anything that will benefit them. The Troy may seem manipulative and controlling to outsiders but they have a strict code among themselves. They don't lie, cheat, steal... from other Troy. They have an extremely close-knit society.

The Troy don't have a Monarchy, they have an Imperial Seat, but that Seat is backed by the Tribunal Centuriate and that is backed by the Common Assembly. {Roman Style Government, during Imperial stage}

The Troy are an Imperial Nation. They have 3 subject nations. They are Aethannyn, Rygwen and the Aberlai.

Tradition - When a Troy comes of age (13) they are sent into the jungles to survive on their own for a full year.

Rob B
May 21st, 2002, 04:38 AM
Shannon had a good point in his response the first time you posted this:

It might help if you gave a little information on the world itself to help understand how the cultures relate to each other.

Also, you would probably get a better response if this were to be posted in the Writing Forums (http://www.sffworld.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Writing&number=5&DaysPrune=1000&LastLogin=), which is where I am moving it to and closing both this and the earlier identical post.

You should get a good response there, the folks who visit the writing forum regularly are pretty helpful.

Se'dray-on
May 21st, 2002, 04:58 AM
Fitz, thank you. I'm sorry, i didn't realize that i'd already posted it once before, i thought that it hadn't gotten through. As to some idea of my world, here:

My story is set on Earth in the year
10, 000. Magic is predominant but Science still plays a role. Sometime Magic and Science even interact and complement each other.

Computer Science is the main technology. Technological weapons are banned, it's an order of the religion. Nucleonics are expressly forbidden(This will be one type of plot device). Single shot weapons are allowed, but not repeating guns.

Medicine and Communication Technology is predominant. Science can evolve with out research into weapons.

Motorized transport is still available but not readily because of lack of proper roads and highways. Genetic Engineering is an old technology that is slowly being rediscovered.
Also, for reasons of plot line my entire world now has only one religion, a modified Christianity. God, Gaia and Lucifer were all Gods, but Lucifer tried to take over so God and Gaia teamed together and ousted Lucifer. Now every 10,000 years there is a titanic battle between good and evil to decide who has the predominant balance for the next 10,000 years.

Hope this clears up a few things.

[This message has been edited by Se'dray-on (edited May 21, 2002).]

Rob B
May 21st, 2002, 05:36 AM
Computer Science is the main technology. Technological weapons are banned.
That right there is almost a contradiction.

LeMort
May 21st, 2002, 07:08 AM
I don't have a problem with your races although they do seem a bit stereotypical.

I presume this is for a story you are going to/currently writing? If so, remember that individuality is far more important than racial traits.

Also, if this *is* for a story, do you really need all this information? Isn't most of it unnecessary detail?

You mentioned that your setting is Earth in the far future (10,000AD or 10,000 years from now?). Since this is the case, the issue of plausibility becomes important.

In the real, modern world, with technological advancements and increasing globalisation, cultures are becoming more and more alike. Easy access to reliable, quick, and cheap transportation also means that the gene pools of each culture are experiencing an influx of new material from other races. Because of this, the difference between races is slowly becoming blurred, and exclusive racial/national traits are becoming diluted.

Now... Imagine that this continues for thousands of years to come. If I read a book with your setting I'd have a hard time accepting the diversity of both racial attributes and culture that you've described.

Then again, if there was a plausible explanation then I could be convinced.

Now, on to something else you mentioned about your setting...

Why do Lucifer, Gia, and God only battle every 10,000 years?

If they felt that strongly about things, surely they'd be going at it all the time?

Are they aloof godlings who regard the conflict like a game? Is that why they stick to the "no fighting for 10,000 years" rule?

[This message has been edited by LeMort (edited May 21, 2002).]

Se'dray-on
May 21st, 2002, 07:41 AM
LeMort, I need all of this information in order to build my world. I won't tell the reader all of the information but I need to know, regardless, for the purpose of building my world and the people on it.

I also realize that my cultures are a bit stereo typical, that's why I need help.

10,000 AD. Good and evil are constantly battling, but God and Lucifer have, a covanent,an agreement that every 10,000 years a titanic battle between their agents on Earth will determine the balance for the next 10,000 years. So in a way, it is a game, like the rules of Mortal Kombat(The Movies).

Nuclear war had desimated(sp?) the World. Cultures were trapped in primitive settings for a long time, they were able to revert back to individual races. Technology is advancing once more, but motorized transportation is not quick, or cheap, or used by the majority of the masses.

Thanks for the comments, they got me thinking, which they were supposed to do. I hope I've solved your problem with plausibility.

Rob B
May 21st, 2002, 08:11 AM
Sounds like a combination of Terry Brooks' Shannara and Jack Vance's Dying Earth.

LeMort
May 21st, 2002, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure if you've solved the problems I have with the plausability of your setting yet, but you're definately getting there! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

As far as your races being a little bit stereotypical goes, that's not a problem really because it help your potential readers identify with them, and besides, your story *is* set on earth, so the parallel between your imagined cultures and real world cultures is acceptable.

I noted that the Taka and Gideon live in extreme close proximity. In terms of space, they are literally a handful of feet away from each other. How did they manage to evolve into such unique cultures/races? I don't think physical of cultural evolution works like that. How often have you seen a country in which two cultures with such dissimilar racial attributes evolved together? As far as I know, it's never happened. Sure, I can accept the cultural differences (after all, this is fantasy) but I just can't accept the physical differences. It's just not possible. Also, a race can't revert back to its original attributes, and even if it was possible the Gideon and the Taka would be seperate by thousands of miles. In a post-apocalyptic world like you describe, how did they manage to migrate so far that their two cultures met and began to co-exist?

I've got a few more questions for you, if you don't mind putting up with my pestering... http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif

How did these lush jungles and forests spring up in the wake of a nuclear holocaust? The dirt that would have been thrown up into the atmosphere by such an event would block out the sun for hundreds of years. Foliage would be the first thing to go. And if that didn't kill it, the irradiated soil/atmosphere certainly would.

Deserts, I can accept. Rocky plains - certainly. Thriving, lush forests and jungles? Hmm...

You say that your gods/religions take christianity as an inspiration. Well... Would God really make a pact with Satan that would put the world and everything on it in jeapordy? Surely Gaia wouldn't want any part of that, and would be absolutely opposed to anything that would threaten the future of the earth? Wouldn't that make her an opponent of both Satan and God?

What form does technology take, and how did it manage to resurge? I mean, the oil reserves will probably be almost depleted in a few hundred years. By the time your story takes place. it'll be completely depleted. How did your cultures make that jump from being primitives to rediscovering advanced technologies? Without natural resources to fuel their early technological breakthroughs, those early technologies are effectively removed permenently out of their grasp, and without those technological chains in the link that connects primitive cultures with technological ones... Well, I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

If you can find answers to these kind of difficult questions then you'll have a really wonderful setting!