Dawnstorm
November 25th, 2005, 06:34 AM
C A D
P 0 24
E 4 8
M 18 18

Name: Caprice

Sex: male Age: 17

Physical appearance: ~1.75 m, slim, blond wavey hair, bably-blue eyes.

Power: Caprice is a mental Vortex. His presence confuses people and has them do things. When he's gone they wonder what the **** they've been up to.

Attack options: Can make all opponents with a mental defense lower than his mental attack attack a random ally. These opponents cannot defend.

If attacked: Caprice is so annoying that all opponents attacking him will chase him in a blind rage, until he's utterly exhausted. (Must deplete physical defense before attacking either energy, or mental).

Weakness: Refuses to fight physically (starts with zero physical attack!); little stamina; Mentally unstable

When the dice are rolled:
If the dice's sum is odd, the sum is deducted from the attack level and added to the defense level (values cannot go below 1, or above 24).
If the dice's sum is even, the sum is deducted from the defense level and added to the attack level (values cannot go below 1, or above 24).
If the sum is exactly 2, Caprice throws a tantrum, reducing the mental defense of all allies is reduced by 5.
If the sum is exactly 12, Caprice takes the day off. He can't attack nor be attacked. When he returns, he's rested (all values reset to default level.)

That one needs some balancing, I think. He's got the potential to be overpowered, useless, or even harmful.

Expendable
November 28th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Hmmm. What about side kicks and henchmen? Or Evil Assistants?

Evita, Evil Assistant
V A D
P 2 2
E 2 2
M 6 6

Sex: Female, early twenties.

Physical appearance: ~1.6m, slim, long straight raven hair, green eyes. Wears tight leather clothing. Carries a leather bullwhip and secret throwing knives.

Power: Sarcasm.

Attack options: Whip 1d6 damage. Throwing knives (expert) 1d6 damage.

If attacked: Attempts seduction if attacker's M<6, +1 for each point difference. Will use whip to subdue.

Weakness: Villians (and heros) with Bad Reputations.

Roll doubles, switches to the other side.

Expendable
November 28th, 2005, 02:48 AM
What if your powers come from the deck? To be able to shapeshift, you have to have the shapeshifting card. To project electricity, you have to have the electricity card. To amplify your power, you have to have the amp card.

How does that sound?

Expendable
November 28th, 2005, 12:03 PM
We have to have some way of limiting things - so we put a cost on each card. You can only have cards in your gaming deck that add up to 200 points or $2.00, however you want to set it up.

The more powerful a card is, the more it costs - and the harder to beat. If you want a more expensive card, you can used a disadvantage card that's negative points, minus 10% or -20. Like a code of honor, will not kill, bad reputation, stuff like that.

You start with a body card - normal which gives some physical advantages (and cheap), mutant which either has great energy or great physical or some of both, alien etc.

Then you add powers/gadgets and disadvantages until you reach your limit. Then you have to do a writeup about who and what your super is.

Expendable
November 28th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Ok, how about this - two modes of play. Basic and Advanced.

In Basic Play, you have a character card and a deck of Action cards. Action cards have Attack/Defence options. You can pick three cards from your action deck. The cards in your hand are what you're going to fight with. If in battle one of your attack/defend cards is taken out, it goes into the discard pile. Before the next turn starts, you can pick out new cards.

In Advance Play, we replace the character card with a mode deck that have a better enhansing affects on the action cards.

Mode cards can be Social, showing your afflications and connections ; Drives that represent your will or fighting spirit; Flaws that hinder your player but allows them to add more cards to their deck; Skill cards; and Maneuvers cards that are special tricks or techniques you've mastered.

MrBF1V3
November 28th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Wow, I step out for a few days, and you've been busy, first, a few more cards.

H ..A ..D
P ..15 ..15
E ..5 ..10
M ..7 ..7

Name: Alchemy
Sex: F Age: 20
Physical appearance: average size, brown hair, green eyes.
Power: She has the ability to change any material into any other material. Can also feel what something is made of. Among her favorite moves is to turn the ground below an opponents feet into water.
Attack options; a Physical attack, which can take almost any form.
If attacked; a Physical attack on her will backfire, the attack will lose Ĺ of itís effect, and she will automatically attack back during that turn, even if her card had not been chosen.
Weakness: Cannot touch anyone without disastrous results.
When the dice are rolled: If doubles are rolled three times in a row, her card is reset to original levels.

H ..A ..D
P ..15 ..15
E ..5 ..9
M ..8 ..9

Name: Mountain
Sex: F Age: 21
Physical appearance: Eight feet tall, brown eyes, black hair, quite muscular. Likes to wear tight jeans and T-shirts.
Power: Very, very strong.
Attack options; Physical attack. Likes to pick up opponents and slam them into the ground head first.
If attacked; She will attack the attacker in the next turn.
Weakness: Temper.

V ..A ..D
P ..5 ..24
E ..5 ..18
M ..5 ..18

Name: Blue Jade
Sex: M, sort of. Age: 34
Physical appearance: He has a mutated, superhard, blueish crystalline body.
Power: His body is pretty much impervious to harm, it reflects most types of energy, and he is totally insane. He gains power by absorbing people into himself.
Attack options: Can absorb another player with a Physical + Energy Defense level of 13 or less. That cards Attack and Defense numbers are added to his. With every turn the Attack numbers are lowered by 1, with every attack, the number subtracted is 2. When Attack levels drop below 5, Blue Jade will discard the absorbed player into the discard pile, and will absorb the player (card) with the lowest Physical & Energy Defense level, from either side.
If there is no one he can absorb, Blue Jade remains dormant until there is.
If attacked; The numbers of the absorbed player are deleted first.
Weakness: Cannot attack until he has absorbed another player.
When the dice are rolled: If the number on the dice is a double four, he can absorb or trade for any card which is attacking him during that turn.

Feel free to comment,
B5

MrBF1V3
November 29th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Okay, I have a few comments:

Caprice; Looks pretty good. At first I thought the "0" in physical attack was a bit too low, (I mean, come on, my cat has an attack level of 3, and she's declawed.) You might want to raise it a point or two, and mention in the directions that he does not physically attack. If you have whoever he attacks attack someone else at random, we have to figure out a way to chose the random victim, or let Caprice decide who to hit. (And if it's Mountain, she will hit back. :) )

Evita; the sarcastic evil assistant. (I think I almost dated her in college.) I think we should add the damage estimates into her attack levels, perhaps give her a bit more defense, other than that, good idea. You may want to add a point incentive, when she changes sides she has good information, which gives the opposite side a 3 point advantage in attack points...something like that.

So far I'm trying to tie the extra powers into the dice, it adds an element of randomness, and keeps things simple, sort of. What you are proposing sounds like a good way to generate characters. Perhaps we can tie enhancements together with characters (If this character is also present then ...). It could be interesting. Maybe the advanced version uses another deck of cards for "enhancments".

I think I have enough cards to attempt a "beta test", there may be a few changes needed afterwards.

What do you think?
B5

Expendable
November 29th, 2005, 01:46 AM
I should give Evita a sarcasm attack against mental.

But you're right, you should have enough to start.

Dawnstorm
November 29th, 2005, 11:10 AM
At first I thought the "0" in physical attack was a bit too low, (I mean, come on, my cat has an attack level of 3, and she's declawed.) You might want to raise it a point or two, and mention in the directions that he does not physically attack.

I bet Caprice is scared of your cat. (Cat's have high mental defense!) ;) But we could add a point or two to attack, if you think it would look better. I suppose he could poke'em with a very long stick...

If you have whoever he attacks attack someone else at random, we have to figure out a way to chose the random victim, or let Caprice decide who to hit. (And if it's Mountain, she will hit back. :) )

See, that's why I thought random would be a good idea, because the strategic advantage is potentially very high, if Caprice could choose. Just imagine if Caprice had Alchemy attack Mountain. That's a chain reaction!

How to determine the random target? (Shuffle the potential targets and draw one; how does that sound?)

A few clarifications:

If Caprice forces anyone to attack, the attack is always physical (even if the PA is 0).

The dice only modify Caprice's mental stats. It would be too strong otherwise.

Regardless whether we add a point or two to Caprice's PA; the card should say that Caprice cannot initiate physical attacks (not even if his attack is raised by outside effects). He can be forced to physically attack by effects, though.

So far I'm trying to tie the extra powers into the dice, it adds an element of randomness, and keeps things simple, sort of. What you are proposing sounds like a good way to generate characters. Perhaps we can tie enhancements together with characters (If this character is also present then ...). It could be interesting. Maybe the advanced version uses another deck of cards for "enhancments".

I think I have enough cards to attempt a "beta test", there may be a few changes needed afterwards.

What do you think?
B5

Erm, this may be a stupid question, but what's the objective of the game? How do you win? (How about a chess analogy; there's a King to defeat - a Super-Hero or -Villain - and all other characters are mercenaries?) (Or are we just attempting to wipe out the opponents team? Are there missions?)

MrBF1V3
November 30th, 2005, 12:36 AM
There are no stupid questions, just stupid peo....

um, forget I said that.

So far the object of the game is to have the last card standing, but there might be some other possiblilities. Is there a way to play alternatives?

Unless otherwise stated, a card would attack from its strongest attack points, there are few situations I can think of where not doing so would be an advantage. If you give Caprice a 3 in physical attack, it means he can hold off cold germs, if the weather is nice. :p

I played a test game last night. Whew. (The short version) I drew Jolt, Esp, the Living Computer, Fury and Mountain for the hero side, and Evita, Widget, Blue Jade, Caprice and Kaboom for the bad guys. the game took eight turns to finish, which was about an hour and a half. The instructions for Fury and Caprice were complicated, and I think, could use some streamlining.

I found the need for a good-sized tracking sheet (a half page will not do), and a calculator. In the first turn, Blue Jade absorbed Evita and Kaboom disabled the entire hero side for one turn, and himself for three, by which time, he was out.

Esp and The Living Computer were helpful at the beginning, adding 2 points to attack and defense levels of their comrades. Widget took on Jolt, then started on Mountain-What I said earlier, I take it back, leave those levels where they are. Caprice was a difficult opponent, causing all kinds of mayhem. I made his attacks on a specific hero, then used the dice to determine which one his victim attacked. (1 through 5, excluding the number of the hero Cap attacked, usually showed up on one die or the other..) This backfired when Mountain attacked Fury.

Blue Jade was also complicated, and terribly powerful. (In his segment in the story I worked on, he was really, really bad.) Evita was used up by turn five, then BJ absorbed Caprice, his points weren't enough to fend off Fury, who had taken a beating in the physical and mental areas, but had 26-26 in the energy levels.

I played where all attacks are completed, and counted as if they happened at the exact same time. I want to make more ways for the reserve cards to either be called in, or rotated in. (And next time I print the cards, I'm going to increase the size of the numbers, and put them in bold print.) The 'when the dice are rolled' rules played a significant part in about two turns, maybe this could be more.

So, I am working on a few clarifications for the rules, (I'll edit the post), and some updating on some cards, especially Fury (I'll edit there too). And I hope to fabricate a few more cards over the next couple of days.

Okay?

B5