View Full Version : Superhero game

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

MrBF1V3
December 6th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Ex- Perhaps advanced play would be adding a number of new cards into the deck, these cards contain objects: hammer fist, mental sheild helmet, etc which can be used by almost any of the character cards. They are shuffled in, and instead of 8 cards, each player gets 10, if he/she gets any object cards they can add them to their character cards as they want. ... Just a thought.

More cards:

H ..A ..D
P ..12 ..12
E ..5 ..10
M ..9 ..12

Name: Wildcat
Sex: M Age: 22
Physical appearance: Covered with short yellow fur, and has claws.
Power: Has animal abilities, extra strength, extra endurance and heightened senses, as well as a bad attitude.
Attack options; He likes to run and jump on his opponents, then withdraw to see whether they try to get away. Will start with a physical attack, cannot attack two turns in a row.
If attacked; Will try to ignore attacks, until heís in trouble.
Weakness: Doesnít think, just acts. Also, doesnít like to look bad.
When the dice are rolled: If itís double two he will go into a rage, causing 2 points damage to the Physical Defense level of every opponent card still in play.

V ..A ..D
P ..5 ..6
E ..9 ..9
M ..9 ..9

Name: Darkness
Sex: F Age: 23
Physical appearance: Tall, dark and to die for. Black hair and bright green eyes. Tends to wear black or dark blue.
Power: Can take the light out of any area, plunging it into complete darkness, and can see in that darkness to attack, or steal.
Attack options; Her attack takes strength away from her adversaries. Take points directly away from the attack points of her opponents. Her attack will be either Energy or Mental, whichever is strongest in the opponent she is facing.
If attacked; Darkness will hide in her darkness.
Weakness: Burgundy, and well-dressed men.
When the dice are rolled: If itís a 7 or 9 total, and she is being attacked, she throws up a curtain of darkness, any attack made any of her opponents during this turn is limited to 2 points. If a 3 and 4 are showing, darkness changes sides.

H ..A ..D
P ..15 ..10
E ..10 ..5
M ..6 ..10

Name: Sky Rider
Sex: M Age: 45
Physical appearance: Looks like a biker.
Power: Can levitate large objects, flies on an old harley frame.
Attack options; will often hit someone with his bike frame, or will levitate then drop them from high places.
If attacked; is mobile, and very hard to catch, any attack will not be more than 5 points successful. (A 10 point attack will only take 5 points away).
Weakness: Can only lift things from above. If something heavy comes down on him, too bad.
When the dice are rolled: If the number rolled is odd, Skyrider can go pick up the top card of the reserve pile and add it to the playing field, without taking one away.

I'm still questioning that last part, perhaps there should be an upper limit to the number of character cards in play?

Also, I typed up one of the segments from the story I tried to write with these superheroes and posted it here: http://www.sffworld.com/community/story/1112p0.html
Hope you enjoy it.

B5

Expendable
December 7th, 2005, 03:03 PM
You know, where are these fights taking place? Not in some sports arena but on the street, right? So why not have cards for various hazards like down powerlines, oil slicks, open manholes, stuff like that?

Redforce
December 9th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Just a suggestion...
You could get a deck of standard playing cards to add an element of randomness to the game instead of dice. The advantage of cards is that you have more control over the results since you have a hand of them, so you are more aware of your tactical options.
If you add another attack / defense category and call it Mystical, you can then have a nice correlation between the categories and the suits- for instance:
Clubs - Physical, Spades - Energy, Heart - Mental, Diamond - Mystical.
(it also adds your Dr. Strange / Dr. Fate types to the game).
This also adds a nice symmetry to the attack types- black cards are 'physical', and red cards are 'mental / mystical'. The card Rank can determine the strength of the attack. You can add a 'trump' rule whereby if the card Suit matches the attack / defense type, you can play / draw another card and add the Rank. Face cards can be played to utilize the special attacks, and the special conditions you are invoking with the dice can be done by random draw.
You could even get two or more decks and mark them up with a Sharpie- like adding quotes, special actions, etc.
This will change the existing rules a good bit, for one thing it adds a lot more cards in play.

Expendable
December 9th, 2005, 09:28 PM
You can pick up blank playing cards (http://thehouseofcards.com/cards_personalized.html) - even card sets that you can print off on your printer. There's even a program for making your own Magic: The Gathering cards (http://mtglair.de/editor.shtml).

MrBF1V3
December 10th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Ex-Very astute. Few superhero battles take place in arenas. And really, what would people think if Superman(TM) took over the stadium three minutes before halftime just so he could crush a giant robot? So, maybe, how about adding "situation cards" as well as object cards.

Something along the lines of:
Innocent Bystander--Any attack made by your opponents during the turn this card is played, is decreased by half. If the dice show a four or a five, an attacking card from your side accidently killed the bystander, and is immediately served with a law suit, taken out of play and put on the bottom of the reserve pile. This card may be saved until needed, or sold, or traded.

Redforce- Hi. Welcome. Interesting suggestion, using regular playing cards. I wish I'd thought of that, however, at this point I think we should exhaust the possibilities using dice before trying something else. I'm learning that it's easy to invent a complicated game, but it is not so easy to play one.

Also, levels for Mystical. I'm still thinking about that one. On the one hand, it would add more possibilities. A mystic attack can set back some of the strongest cards, making the playing field a bit more even. On the other, it seems like most of the time mystical powers manifest themselves by effecting either the physical world (in some way), or an opponent's mental state, and I have those covered.

So, second opinion?

B5

Dawnstorm
December 10th, 2005, 06:55 AM
I think the point of having Mystical attack/defense was tied to the use of playing cards (so you have now 4 stats; devided into 2/2; like hearts+diamons/clubs+spades: so you could, for example, draw the Queen of Energy; or the 4 of Physicals, or the 7 of Mentals, or the Ace of Mystics...)

Using Playingcards is an interesting idea, and if we'd use them another stat would definitely make sense to give the "colours" of the playing cards meaning.

C ..A ..D
P ..7 ..12
E ..4 ..16
M ..5 ..10

Name: Burrows
Sex: M Age: 3
Physical appearance: Like a regular armadillo, but with a reflecting "armor" (mirror-effect), and as yet unused ports for various neuro-physical enhancements.

Power: Mirror-armor. Possibility to be upgraded.

Attack options: Instead of attacking, Burrows can tunnel under the anemies and let one fall into a hole for 1 Physical damage. That opponent's attack is aborted, and s/he cannot defend.

If attacked: Curls up in a ball. Physical attacks are reduced by 1/2 and add 1 trauma damge to mental. Energy attacks of the light-type (lasers, mostly) are delflected (reduced to 0 and hit the attacker for 1/2 of the original damage).

When the dice are rolled: When the sum is 7 Burrows causes a minor Earthquake, dealing 3 physical damage to all opponents, and to himself.

Redforce
December 12th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Redforce- Hi. Welcome. Interesting suggestion, using regular playing cards. I wish I'd thought of that, however, at this point I think we should exhaust the possibilities using dice before trying something else. I'm learning that it's easy to invent a complicated game, but it is not so easy to play one.

Also, levels for Mystical. I'm still thinking about that one. On the one hand, it would add more possibilities. A mystic attack can set back some of the strongest cards, making the playing field a bit more even. On the other, it seems like most of the time mystical powers manifest themselves by effecting either the physical world (in some way), or an opponent's mental state, and I have those covered.

So, second opinion?

B5

Mr. B,
I thought you would say that, since it changes what you have a lot.

About Mystical- yes, you are correct, and that's the way most supers games handle it- mystical is defined simply by what the final effect is. However, you could (by adding another layer of complication- perhaps optional rules?) allow defining an existing attack as Mystical- maybe that gives it extra power at the expense of something else (like having to roll to trigger a negative effect, or having it 'fizzle out' and have no effect).
I think I may be overcomplicatiing this, though...

MrBF1V3
December 14th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Having the dice as part of the play is intended to add that randomness to the game, so the same cards can be played any number of times, and the results are not the same.

I think a character' powers can be defined as mystical, and then added to the card by their results, then tied to the roll of the dice in some creative and interesting way. See the "card" for the Queen of Spades, on page 1.

But, yes, we want to aviod making things too complicated. Simple games tend to be played. Simple games with elements of randomness, and some amount of strategy involved, are played more.

'storm, interesting, an animal as a card. I guess after looking at pokemon (TM) cards I should have thought of that. I had a character named Digger in some of the early versions of my superhero story, but I dropped him, he wasn't very interesting. Let's give this one a shot.

B5

MrBF1V3
December 21st, 2005, 12:41 AM
I have a few more cards, and then I'm out of the original characters.

H ..A ..D
P ..12 ..10
E ..8 ..10
M ..6 .. 8

Name: Blades
Sex: F Age: 16
Physical appearance: Dark hair, green eyes, tends to wear long jackets and carry knives.
Power: She can control the trajectory of anything she throws, usually knives, and bounce objects off of the ground by stomping.
Attack options: Physical attack, throwing knives or energy attack, stomping.
If attacked: She will repel anything thrown at her if itís a physical object. The effectiveness of Physical attacks are decreased by half.
Weakness: If she didnít throw an object, she cannot really control it.
When the dice are rolled: If an 8 is rolled and she is attacking, her attack misses, and has no effect.

V ..A ..D
P ..8 ..10
E ..5 ..5
M ..18 ..18

Name: Freeze Tag
Sex: M Age: 20
Physical appearance: Short, rotund, wears jean jackets and sticks out of sight.
Power: His touch causes an opponent to be unable to move.
Attack options: When he attacks there is no decrease in defense points, but the opponent will be unable to move, or attack, for two turns.
If attacked: If it is a physical attack, it will decrease his defense points, but the attacker will not be able to attack for the next turn.
Weakness: He cannot freeze who he cannot touch.
When the dice are rolled: If either die shows a 2, 5 or 7, Freeze Tag goes to the bottom of the reserve stack, and the top card takes his place.

H ..A ..D
P ..10 ..15
E ..8 ..10
M ..8 .. 8

Name: Speed
Sex: M Age: 17
Physical appearance: Thin, hyperactive, and wears bright colors.
Power: He can run very fast by becoming out of phase with the matter of the world.
Attack options; A running attack, can show up, get a few hits in and leave before anyone can react.
If attacked: If he is attacking (running), then the attack has no effect.
Weakness: Canít carry anything heavy when he runs.
When the dice are rolled: If the number is odd, he can trade any of his allies for the next card in the reserve stack.

V ..A ..D
P ..5 ..5
E ..5 ..10
M ..13 ..13

Name: Lotus
Sex: F Age: appears 7, but is much older.
Physical appearance: Wears oriental silk clothing and floats above the ground.
Power: Superior mental control. Can glimpse the future, slow time, and generate illusions. Add 2 points to her allies Mental Defense levels when she is in play.
Attack options: Her mental attack can be devastating.
If attacked: If she is attacked more than once, she will withdraw to the bottom of the reserve stack, and the top card will take her place.
Weakness: She is not very strong, and tends to desert her allies.
When the dice are rolled: The number of the dice is added to her attack level if she is attacking, and added to the defense level being attacked, if she is being attacked.

I'm working on some kind of tracking sheet, mostly to keep track of the levels of your characters and to mark who is attacking each turn, and who is prohibited from attacking. (Then I'll have to write instructions on how to use the tracking sheets--sheesh.)

Anything else anyone would like to add?

B5