View Full Version : Writing Software

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Tyler Hawke
November 22nd, 2005, 06:24 AM
I've been thinking about purchasing some writing software like StroyCraft Pro to help organize my writing. I've got a fairly involved story taking shape and I feel it could use help/suggestions/organizing. I want to keep characters even and histories and such consistant.

Is StoryCraft worth the investment? Are there other software solutions I should check out?

Thanks

pcarney
November 22nd, 2005, 07:06 AM
The only software I use (other than the ubiquitous Word) is Keynote. Itís great for putting together outlines, or just as a place to store notes and such.
Plus, itís free, so that works for me.

http://www.tranglos.com/free/

tracyt1800
November 22nd, 2005, 08:54 AM
The only software I use (other than the ubiquitous Word) is Keynote. Itís great for putting together outlines, or just as a place to store notes and such.
Plus, itís free, so that works for me.

http://www.tranglos.com/free/

Can you imbed images in Keynote's RTF documents? I looked at that at one time but couldn't find any info on it. I ended up buying Microsoft OneNote 2003. I like it but it seems bulky some days. Maybe I just haven't organized it well.

The images were the reason I switched to OneNote. You can drop in a picture, annotate it, etc. Even drop in an entire web page to store (in case the website should go offline or something).

pcarney
November 22nd, 2005, 11:11 AM
Can you imbed images in Keynote's RTF documents? I looked at that at one time but couldn't find any info on it. I ended up buying Microsoft OneNote 2003. I like it but it seems bulky some days. Maybe I just haven't organized it well.

Not that I know of. I use it more like a notebook- jotting down notes on stories, putting together outlines and such.

tielserrath
November 22nd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Apart from a timeline table to remind me of my characters comparative ages and events I really don't find I need anything else. The lives of my half-dozen major characters are better-known to me than those of my own relatives.

If I need anything else I just open up a new word document. If I'm reviewing/editing I just use the reviewing toolbar.

what do you need all the fancy software for? :confused:

Holbrook
November 22nd, 2005, 01:12 PM
What do you need all the fancy software for? :confused:

I have often thought that. I do, though, keep a hard copy of research, outlines/plot lines etc and first draft, as well as a CD just in case the machine crashes...

Tyler Hawke
November 22nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
Here is the software in question:

http://www.storycraftpro.com/

My story is always growing and at times it gets pretty intensive. A lot of what I have written is the history and sketches that set up the present events. I understand that a lot of the history and such will get edited down but at times it seems chaotic to me. I didn't know if this software would help compartmentalize what I have.

I've been pretty good up to the moment but I'm getting the sense that inconsistancies will start to appear and get out of hand if I don't organize the story soon because it is taking better shape but it's also getting bigger.

I don't write beginning to end. It's all over as the story evolves. Some parts make it to the keep it pile, some goes into the "maybe" pile and others go into the trash.

tracyt1800
November 22nd, 2005, 01:51 PM

I used to keep mine in notebooks, too. Then I wouldn't have a notebook with me and a note would get lost. Or I'd have a have an idea that went with some other idea, but couldn't find it in the notebook. OneNote gave me searching capabilities that really helped me out.

Dropping entire webpages into a notes section gives me a static dump of data when researching.

And then there's the little issue that I'm a computer programmer. I can turn the lights on and off in my house while sitting at my desk at work. I have fancy software for just about everything. :) Well, except my coffee pot. I use a plain jane 4 cup Mr. Coffee for that.

pcarney
November 23rd, 2005, 06:52 AM

Keynote is pretty far from fancy. However, I'm sure there are many writers out there who use the very involved writing software that's available. And if it works for them, great. It looks to me like this type of software forces you to organize your thoughts, and helps you propel the story along. And that can be very helpful for some writers. Its all about what works.
Some writers need outlines, others need nothing. Some people can blast out 10 pages a night, others only write 1. Its just what works for each person. If writing in cuneiform on clay tablets in the back of a damp cave works for you, go for it!

Jadewtch
November 24th, 2005, 12:41 AM
I must be one of the only people left who still writes her first outline out on paper. :D