PDA

View Full Version : Imagination Run Wild....

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Thurlor
November 23rd, 2005, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't even dare to call myself a writer (yet), but I find that my ability to write anything at all is somewhat drowned out by my imagination.
Currently I'm in the process of creating a Universe, which seems to have taken over my life to an extent. I have maps, timelines, characters, family trees and a major plot. However, every time I sit down to start (on the prologue) I find something in my notes that needs revising, or new info to add.
Also I have soo many other ideas partially 'fleshed out' but I've got the same problem with them.
Anyway, my question is, should I just wait until it feels like all the background info is complete, or force myself to actually start putting it all into words?

Also I seem to find it extremely difficult to keep everything organised. I have hand written notes all over the place, as well as bits and pieces on the computer.

JWREmmett
November 23rd, 2005, 09:50 PM
You can either be well organized... or efficient--the two don't actually go together. You can write a story... or have many that are never told, despite having (more than?) sufficient material to work with.

Write!

Mathain
November 24th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Thurlor, a writer sits down and writes.

A gamemaster sits down and creates worlds.

Which would you like to be?

That's the best advice I can possibly give, learned after long and painful struggles of my own.

Thurlor
November 24th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Two very valid points, both of which seem to sadden me a little. :(

As to being a gamemaster, what exactly do you been by this Mathain? Yes, I really do enjoy the 'World Building', but I actually do want to put onto paper the many stories floating around 'up here'.

Currently, it's to depressing to think that I might be lacking in the ability to actually write what my imagination is giving me. My girlfriend has actually suggested she will write for me (she's quite darned good) whilst I plot, world build, etc. This just doesn't seem 'right' though.

On a slight side not, I once completed the 'Myers Briggs' personality test and rated as an INTP. When I read the description I was shocked at how well it described me. I'm wondering if there are many authors out the who are INTP.

Andrew J
November 24th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Two very valid points, both of which seem to sadden me a little. :(

As to being a gamemaster, what exactly do you been by this Mathain? Yes, I really do enjoy the 'World Building', but I actually do want to put onto paper the many stories floating around 'up here'.

Currently, it's to depressing to think that I might be lacking in the ability to actually write what my imagination is giving me. My girlfriend has actually suggested she will write for me (she's quite darned good) whilst I plot, world build, etc. This just doesn't seem 'right' though.

On a slight side not, I once completed the 'Myers Briggs' personality test and rated as an INTP. When I read the description I was shocked at how well it described me. I'm wondering if there are many authors out the who are INTP.

What is INTP?

Rantako
November 24th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Anyway, my question is, should I just wait until it feels like all the background info is complete, or force myself to actually start putting it all into words?

Force yourself to actually write it down! Although it might seem like a chore to start your story, once you get going you'll probably not want to stop. At least, that's what happened to me.

Background info is important too but without a story its meaningless.

Mathain
November 24th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I actually do want to put onto paper the many stories floating around 'up here'.

Then do so. Sit down. Write.

You don't have to know *everything* about the world that you're writing in. What you tend to do (I'd guess) is you quibble over the minutiae of creation, but you never actually get to the important part: WRITING THE GOSHDARN STORY! All the notebooks filled with world information and background and statistics on cities and races and cultures won't mean squat if there's never a story for people to READ.

I know this sounds harsh, like I'm picking on you, but I'm really not. The biggest breakthrough for me was when I quit creating a world and sat down to actually write. Figure things out as you go. But you HAVE to write the stories.

Do you dig it?

Expendable
November 25th, 2005, 09:23 AM
It took several tries by Thomas Edison for him to invent the lightbulb. When asked about it, he said, "I haven't failed 2,000 times. I've just found 2,000 ways how not to invent the lightbulb."

You've gotten a good start and have created your universe. Sure, there's more details you could add - and sometimes the best way to figure them out is when you start writing your stories. You know, that whole "necessity is the mother of invention" thing.

And don't listen to your internal editor who looks at your first draft and tells you it sucks. He's not on your side. It's a draft - they're not suppose to be perfect. It's only after editing and tuning your story's going to look right.

Like the others said, "Write!"

Thurlor
November 25th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I get what you mean.

Write, write, write, write. :D

I think I'm already feeling a bit of a creative urge tingling inside of me.

TheGhost
November 26th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Write, write, write. Best advice there is. At some point your characters have to do something stupid, say something funny, move forward in their lives. That's what readers want to experience, much more than a world, however interesting it may be.

BTW, KatG writes these sort of replies better than anyone else. Try searching the forum for some of her posts about the Creative and Editor hats. Also excellent advice.

Ghostie