PDA

View Full Version : Some technical difficulties/questions.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Thurlor
November 25th, 2005, 11:16 PM
A couple of questions have plagues me as I create the universe for my story.

1) How pronounced are the effects of 'time dilation'? For example; Star System A is located near the galactic core whilst Star System B is out on the rim. Now, if I remember right SSB would be moving faster than SSA. Would that mean that time progresses slower for SSB than SSA? I hope that makes sense.

2) When dealing with stars close to us should I use their real names? Conversely, when dealing with distant stars, fiction seems to be to only way to go.

Thanks.

David Forbes
November 26th, 2005, 10:48 AM
1) time dilation with any noticeable effect occurs only as one approaches the speed of light. Since galactic rotation comes nowhere close to that, either close to the center or farther out, that is not a problem.

How are you planning to have these star systems communicate with one another? Because the travel between them (if not using some instantaneous FTL method), will definitely cause time dilation. I'm not sure you asked the right question, or maybe I misunderstood what you were getting at.

2) Sure, whatever you want as far as naming goes.

Thurlor
November 26th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I asked what I now realise was a stupid question. You are of course completely right. Time dilation only occurs at relativistic speeds. I already knew that :confused:

But this now makes me wonder what would happen if a ship was travelling at 90% light speed and it had and instantaneous communications device back to earth. Would we get their transmissions at just under half speed (and they get our's at just over double speed)?

Expendable
November 27th, 2005, 01:01 AM
The receiving ship would speed up the transmission thanks to time cues buried in the Earth transmission - and Earth would slow down the ship's transmission based on its embeded time cues, making the voices sound normal to the respective listeners. Fast enough processing systems and you could have what seems like a real-time conversation.