course human, that have a society mimicking that of medieval Europe,
complete with the dominance of religion, a noble class, etc. Some of
space travellers arrive on the planet and disguise themselves as
locals, integrating themselves into the society of this planet to make
close observations of them. A team of scientists orbiting the planet
make observations from space, as well as accepting reports from the
ground-based workers. These workers are explicitly instructed to not
interfere with local affairs.

Of course, in the end, one of the ground-based people makes a good friend on the planet (he is a lord, and befriends some warrior-lord), I think falls in love, and decides to tell his superiors to piss off. Some sort of pseudo-holy war arrises and he reveals himself to the
populace, and there is a big fight in which the head priest of the
planet's religion is hit by a laser beam, or some such thing, and falls
to his death. I forget what happens after that

I think the guy that went against orders felt people were needlessly suffering and decided to try to advance them on his own. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It has been driving me nuts for
over 10 years. I cannot figure it out. I have tried imdb numerous
times, but to no avail. Please respond if you have any ideas.

Vooloc
November 26th, 2005, 12:59 PM
sounds like any number of episodes of Star Trek to me

ArthurFrayn
December 1st, 2005, 11:37 AM
Did you recognize any of the actors? And if you don't remember their names do you remember them being in other films that you know the title of? Then it's just process of elimination.That's the key way to find obscure things on the imdb.

clong
December 1st, 2005, 02:00 PM
Sounds very much like the Strugatsky novel Hard to be A God. There was a German version directed by Peter Fleischmann that was released in 1990 (see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097292/ ). Not sure if this would ever have shown on HBO, though.

There are three stills from the film available near the bottom of this (http://www.rusf.ru/abs/english/e-movies.htm) page.

AuntiePam
December 3rd, 2005, 09:08 PM
Found this while googling -- could it be the one?

The High Crusade (1994)
Cast: Patrick Fraley, Susan Silo, Hans Schoedel

Movie Synopsis

John Rhys-Davies, Rick Overton and Michael Des Barres star in this science fiction fantasy about a band of British knights at the time of the crusades, who are readying themselves to march on Jerusalem. Suddenly, an alien spacecraft lands outside their camp. The knights impulsively attack and invade the ship, and then command their interstellar hostages to fly them to the Holy Land! However, once airborne the aliens instead head for home with the knights in tow, where they'll have to do battle against an entire planet instead of an entire city.

terminus est
December 4th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Stargate

Or at least it sounds like it to me.

patarroyo
February 13th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Sounds very much like the Strugatsky novel Hard to be A God. There was a German version directed by Peter Fleischmann that was released in 1990 (see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097292/ ). Not sure if this would ever have shown on HBO, though.

There are three stills from the film available near the bottom of this (http://www.rusf.ru/abs/english/e-movies.htm) page.

Thank you so much! That is it. This goes a long way to explaining my difficulty finding it- it's a German film, and I was thinking English films. I also saw it while living in South America, and it was either dubbed or subtitled in Spanish on HBO-Ole, so that made things even less clear. I've been trying to figure this out for over 10 years now, so this is a major thrill! Thanks again to all of you for your help.