PDA

View Full Version : why is Darth Vader taking orders from Tarkin ?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Vooloc
November 26th, 2005, 02:03 PM
just something ive always wondered, if Darth Vader is the Emperors main man, the second Sith Lord, you would think he would be the second dude in charge of the galaxy wouldnt you ?
maybe not so much straight after Revenge of the Sith when hes a bit young but by the time A New Hope is set, 20 years later, he would be 40 something ? and been kicking jedi ass all over the galaxy for ages, why is he taking orders from some crusty old bastard like Moff Tarkin ?

Zsinj
November 26th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Being a big Star Wars fan myself, naturally I've asked this question before too. The answer I got was that since Tarkin was the head honcho on the Death Star, and Vader was there to observe the progress of the battle station, the Emperor ordered Vader to put up with Tarkin's rules while he was on the Death Star, but that explanation doesn't make all that much sense to me.

Vooloc
November 27th, 2005, 02:06 AM
i do actually know the answer, ill explain.
its because when Georgie was making the original Star Wars, he didnt know how well it was going to go, didnt know if there would be sequals made, so therfore he had to have a main bad guy to kill off at the end (Tarkin) but still keep Vader alive just in case the sequals were made.
personally i think he could have done it differently and still kept Vader as the head honcho (without mentioning the Emperor)

Tarn
November 27th, 2005, 07:00 AM
I've always taken it to be a nice indication that Vader/Anakin didn't get what he expected. He turned to the Dark Side to get infinite power...and ends up being a henchman. Indicates he was used by Palpatine...sure, his injuries on Mustafar reduced his power, but I think it all ties into the morals of the story quite nicely.

Then, of course, Tarkin gets killed and Luke shows up out of nowhere, and Vader suddenly realises he's not where he expected to be, hence he hatches the plan to remove the Emperor if Luke joins him.

BlackCauldron
December 1st, 2005, 12:48 PM
I tend to agree with zsinj. Tarkin was the operational commander of the Death Star, which was a massive and complicated battle station. Darth Vader was there to ensure it's proper function, but really didn't know how to keep it running. It's like when an "efficiency director" comes to your office for a month or two. They are technically "above" the boss of the office, but the boss is still calling the day-to-day shots.

Boll Weevil
December 1st, 2005, 01:07 PM
Nah "release him Vader" was an order. It was just a goof entirely attributable to mission drift on Lucas's part, and a growing mythology over the last thirty years.

Vooloc
December 2nd, 2005, 12:32 AM
i was just thinking the exact same thing, "Release him Vader" would not come from a subordinate.
and there is also the part where Tarkin questions Vaders idea on letting the Millenium Falcon go. was it that part ?