PDA

View Full Version : How are they going to dodge the preachiness for the Narnia films?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Zsinj
November 26th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I must admit I'm quite looking forward to the first Narnia film coming out this December, even though I despise the books. And the main reason I hate the books so much, or what I've read and heard about them is (as I've expressed here many times) they're so damn preachy. So how are they gonna dodge the preachiness from the books in adapting them into movies? This should be no problem for TLW&W because I've heard that's one of the least preachy of the books, but how are they going to do this with the other books in the series that are too much on the preachy side? I mean, I would assume that the general public wouldn't want to be patronized and preached at at the movies. :(

trentdick2882
November 26th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Umm, have you seen "The Passion of the Christ"?

terminus est
November 26th, 2005, 09:37 PM
In today's climate of increased religious fanaticism, I bet they'll try to capitalize on the religious aspects and blow them out of proportion.

Kanin
November 27th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I must admit I'm quite looking forward to the first Narnia film coming out this December, even though I despise the books. And the main reason I hate the books so much, or what I've read and heard about them is (as I've expressed here many times) they're so damn preachy. So how are they gonna dodge the preachiness from the books in adapting them into movies? This should be no problem for TLW&W because I've heard that's one of the least preachy of the books, but how are they going to do this with the other books in the series that are too much on the preachy side? I mean, I would assume that the general public wouldn't want to be patronized and preached at at the movies. :(

You're hate of Christianity and it's "preachiness" is well know on this board, Zsinj. However, here's an easy solution for you. It's really, really simple.

Don't go see the film.

See. That was easy.

Zsinj
November 27th, 2005, 03:31 PM
You're hate of Christianity and it's "preachiness" is well know on this board, Zsinj.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Since when did I say I hated Christianity?!!! I've said many times myself that I'm a Christian. What I don't like is it's extremism, fanaticism, and fundamentalism. We had this argument along time ago, Kanin, and I don't wish to get into it again! Get your facts straight! :mad:

Ickle Lulu
November 28th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I read all of the books before anyone told me of the religious side of the stories, and didn't find anything remotely "preachy" about them. So they're about good vs evil - rave on, about 70% of books these days are about that!

First and foremost, the Narnia books are good, imagination-stirring stuff for a new generation of kids who have very little imagination.........

Personally i think the Film is a good idea because it will encourage those children to actually read the books.....and there can be no harm in that!

:)

daigoro
November 28th, 2005, 12:22 PM
A trailer and a bunch of pictures from the movie has now been posted in the News section if anyone is interested.
http://www.sffworld.com/news/225.html

ArthurFrayn
November 28th, 2005, 08:51 PM
I read all of the books before anyone told me of the religious side of the stories, and didn't find anything remotely "preachy" about them. So they're about good vs evil - rave on, about 70% of books these days are about tha

Yeah, they are Christian allegory, but I'd hardly call the Narnia books preachy.
Read That Hideous Strength,the last book in his space trilogy if you want to see preachy.;)

terminus est
November 28th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I read all of the books before anyone told me of the religious side of the stories, and didn't find anything remotely "preachy" about them. So they're about good vs evil - rave on, about 70% of books these days are about that!

First and foremost, the Narnia books are good, imagination-stirring stuff for a new generation of kids who have very little imagination.........

Personally i think the Film is a good idea because it will encourage those children to actually read the books.....and there can be no harm in that!

:)

Someone had to tell you about the religious side? I thought it was very plainly evident. Especially The Last Battle. That one is blatantly about Christianity. Hell, I think they all are, but that one and The Magician's Nephew the most.

Evil Agent
November 28th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Zsinj, what I don't understand is how you 'hate' the books, when it doesn't sound like you've read them. How much have you read?

Even the later books are still good stories. They usually have a couple little moral lessons in them, of a Christian nature, but there is not really any overt preaching. No character ever preaches about the Christian God or faith, they only talk of Aslan, the King of Narnia. The only real element (SPOILER) is that Aslan is implied to be Jesus in another form, in another world. That's truly about the extent of it, with a couple little old fashioned things thrown in (like disapproval of girls in participating in battle). You seem to have imagined/assumed a lot of things about the books, if you haven't read them all.