PDA

View Full Version : Event Horizon from Mam Tor Publishing.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Liam Sharp
December 2nd, 2005, 11:15 AM
I was just curious whether anybody had picked up the first 2 books of Event Horizon, and what they liked in there? Being an anthology it's interesting to see how broad the appeal of certain of the characters is. And we have some work in there that seems to be very love or hate, depending on who's looking at it!
I'm a sucker for stuff that's a little indulgent, for want of a better word, work that you have to penetrate and maybe read a few times, like Ali Pow3rs' writing, or Emma Simcock-Tooth's incredible oil paintings (a lot of people thought they were photoshop!)
Anyway, I'd love to get your views! Tell us what you thought!

Very best,

Liam.

Liam Sharp
December 17th, 2005, 07:08 AM
OK, nobody picked it up yet? :(

There's a GREAT review by Kater up on sffworld, and I'm happy to answer any questions anybody might have about the book. Really, it's worth checking out. So many of the creators are unsung heroes of the industry, and it has broad appeal - especially to sci-fi and fantasy fans as that's the heart of the project.

You can see full story previews at the site: www.mamtor.com

I feel almost like I'm verging on dangerous spamming ground here! LOL! (Sorry guys!) But I can't express my excitment about what we're doing enough!

Here's a couple of pics from it:

http://www.mamtor.com/images/covers/eh2.jpg

http://www.mamtor.com/images/large/monkey.jpg

Cheers all.

Liam.

juzzza
December 23rd, 2005, 03:35 AM
I've picked up both issues, but I'd say my timing is pretty bad what with Christmas and all... as soon as they arrive, I'll let you know what I think.

Cheers

JT

juzzza
December 24th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Bloody Hell Liam!!!

That was quick, I have no idea how you managed that, but both issues arrived this morning!

Thanks, they look great and I'll post again when I've read them.

Liam Sharp
December 27th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Bloody Hell Liam!!!

That was quick, I have no idea how you managed that, but both issues arrived this morning!

Heh! it's that Mam Tor magik... ;)

Hope you enjoy!

Take care,

Liam.

juzzza
January 3rd, 2006, 09:07 AM
Liam,

Brilliant!

I read them back to back the day they arrived (well, the day and then into night!)

Beautifully illustrated, well written and your own contributions were excellent, the offering in issue 1, being my favorite.

It was also nice to see Bisley get a feature! Blast from the past and hopefully the future.

I would recommend Event Horizon to any comic fan and any fantasy/New weird fan and anyone in-between.

By the way, I just finished King Rat by Mieville and I am sure it mentions in there that you have illustrated for some of Mieville's work! Can you tell us a little about what you have done and how it came about?

Liam Sharp
January 3rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Hey Juzzza, a man of taste indeed! :)

Yes, I became a big fan of China's after stumbling across Perdido Street Station at an airport bookshop. I went on to read The Scar, and then found out he was at the San Diego comicon I was attending. So I did the thing, lined up with Iron Council to get it signed, say hi, and give him a bunch of my work.
Anyway, to cut it short, about two months later he called me up out of the blue, said sorry he hadn't been more attentive when we met as he'd known my work also for years. Since then we kind of just hit it off, and after the idea came up for doing a story for Waiting For Jake in comic form it became my pleasure to take on the illustration chores. You can find it in that book now. It's 11 pages written by China, drawn by me, and it's called On The Way To The Front.

By the way, Roger M.Cormack and Ralph Raims are both me. I used pseudonyms to avoid being judged in my written work by the comic fraternity. Just to keep it seperate really, at the start at least!

Thanks again!

Liam.

juzzza
January 3rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
That's tremendous!

I have 'looking for Jake' at home and am about halfway through. I have just finished 'The Familiar', which is my personal favorite so far. I haven't been that impressed with the other stories in the collection, although the account of the mis-sent papers on 'angry streets' is a stroke of genius.

I shall read 'On the way to the front' with interest, now!

Great job on the illustrations and the fiction, it must be hard or at least nerve-wracking when you step from one medium to the other and hope to get judged based on merit rather than pre-conceptions... fair play to you.

I will be picking up future copies of EH.

Holbrook
January 3rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
I will be picking up future copies of EH.

That's good to know ;)

Liam Sharp
January 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Great job on the illustrations and the fiction, it must be hard or at least nerve-wracking when you step from one medium to the other and hope to get judged based on merit rather than pre-conceptions... fair play to you.

Thanks mate. You're right, it was scary as hell - and ultimately I did it because I was let down by some other creator and had to make the page count up. I knew I had this other work, and I wanted the book to have written fiction in it, so... it became reality! Hell, if you're putting your self, your reputation and your balls on the line, you might as well go for it properly! And I'm delighted I did it now, particularly after reading so many kind words as there's been about Machivarius Point - mostly on this site actually! I can't get comic people to read it! LOL!

Thanks again,

Liam.