PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me find this movie?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Jirel of Joiry
December 4th, 2005, 08:25 PM
. Can anyon help me find this movie? I think it was about a man that crashed on a planet that looked a lot like Mars. He befriends an alien, the alien gives birth and dies, leaving the man to care for the kid, and I think there were some rebels or pirates in there somewhere.

tomdk
December 16th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Sounds like Enemy Mine, Dennis Quaid, Louis Gosset Jr., etc. ... old but gold as they say...

juzzza
December 16th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Yep, enemy mine and one of my fave Sci Fi movies...

I used to buy Turkish Delight and pretend it was those green balls the alien used to eat... awesome.

I read somewhere it was based on an older film about an American and Japanese soldier who had to learn to co-exist in order to survive... can anyone remember the name of that movie?

tomdk
December 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Wouldn't be "Hell in the Pacific" would it? Lee Marvin is class... (except when he sings).

Boll Weevil
December 16th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Yes enemy heart warming and a film with a message. It's pleasing to know that even species evolving from reptiles rather than mammals, developing light years away and by coincidence having equivalent technology, are just like us.

A message to take to the stars I think.

juzzza
December 16th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Yep that's it, 'Hell in the Pacific'... I saw it on the 100 Best War Films Ever, show a couple of months ago.

It was about culturally- programmed prejudices in two opposing societies and the conflict of putting aside your differences to survive. Then, actually finding common ground and eventually friendship, thus questioning everything you have learned from one's own society.

Doesn't matter if it's American/Japanese or Mammal/Reptile... makes for an interesting plot.

Didn't Marvin pee on the Japanese soldier in one scene?

I'd like to have seen the alien do that in Enemy Mine!

TBoycott
December 16th, 2005, 10:38 AM
i know it it is hell in the pacific :p

Jirel of Joiry
December 17th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the help. I looked it up on imdb and it was the the movie I remembered. Thanks again!