PDA

View Full Version : Title problems

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Jumbo Frendie
December 7th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Hello everyone im writing a book and i was wondering if the title mancers resembles to closely to ian irvines geomancer please tell me if you think it does.

Boll Weevil
December 7th, 2005, 05:00 PM
..or Neuromancer by William Gibson.

I think there might be another something mancer out there as well.

Dawnstorm
December 7th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Hello everyone im writing a book and i was wondering if the title mancers resembles to closely to ian irvines geomancer please tell me if you think it does.

The tiltle would be:

"Mancers"

Is this correct?

Q: Is this a proper name? If so, go with it, why not.

"Geomancers", I daresay, are "Earth-diviners". "-mancy" is a common suffix to denote "divination". If you use the word in roughly that meaning, be aware that in the English language "mancer" is not a standalone word, and you're probably better of using "Deviner".

For a few -mancies, look here (http://www.internetbutterflies.com/glossary.html). Interesting what you can devine from. Also interesting that they don't list necromancy (perhaps it's too impious?).

pcarney
December 8th, 2005, 07:47 AM
The tiltle would be:

"Mancers"

Is this correct?

Q: Is this a proper name? If so, go with it, why not.

"Geomancers", I daresay, are "Earth-diviners". "-mancy" is a common suffix to denote "divination". If you use the word in roughly that meaning, be aware that in the English language "mancer" is not a standalone word, and you're probably better of using "Deviner".

For a few -mancies, look here (http://www.internetbutterflies.com/glossary.html). Interesting what you can devine from. Also interesting that they don't list necromancy (perhaps it's too impious?).

Its seems that a lot of people use 'mancy' incorrectly. In the book I'm currently reading, the necromancer raises the dead- while he should just be using them for devination.

BLACK HAMMER
December 8th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Run with it. Your fine.

tracyt1800
December 8th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I agree. Go ahead and use it.

MrBF1V3
December 8th, 2005, 10:54 AM
I agree with my cohorts.

However, you may want to consider adding another word to the title, just to add to the -intrigue- factor. Something which in the end is descriptive, and tells your reader maybe a hint of what to expect inside, but doesn't really tell them outright.

For example: :rolleyes:
*Mancer High
*Roam Mancer
*Mancer Doug
*Cry Mancer
*Preying Mancer

Of course, all tongue in cheek, but you could come up with something cool and cryptic.

B5

JamesL
December 8th, 2005, 12:34 PM
..or Neuromancer by William Gibson.

I think there might be another something mancer out there as well.

There certainly is - the terrible Shadowmancer by G.P. Taylor, which became famous in the UK as it was originally self-published by the author and was later picked up by a major publisher (only god knows how) and published to much acclaim (and even more criticism).