PDA

View Full Version : Critique: Equal Time

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Hereford Eye
December 7th, 2005, 06:12 PM
I have posted one or two critiques in full critique mode. The recipients would be entirely justified wondering kind of work I turn out. As it happens, I have a first draft posted here: http://www.sffworld.com/community/story/1118p0.html
Have at it one and all. Give me your very best.

JWREmmett
December 7th, 2005, 10:33 PM
And actually fairy-stories deal largely, or (the better ones) mainly, with simple or fundamental things,
untouched by Fantasy, but these simplicities are made all the more luminous by their setting…
—J. R. R. Tolkien

Rocket Sheep
December 8th, 2005, 04:12 AM
It's in omniescent. :eek:

Sorry, I only read a little to see what Mr JWRE was talking about. I shall run away now. Please take deep relaxing breaths. You don't need to worry. There is no biased miopic pov lecture following. All is well.

Hereford Eye
December 8th, 2005, 07:56 AM
It's in omniescent.
I only did that in the first draft in your honor. I intend to use 2d person expansive in the final draft. :p
Besides, Katherine the Great told me it was okay:
But if you just think you've picked the wrong viewpoint format and all the cool kids use other formats, then seriously, I'm getting the ants. Third person omniscient format is probably more popular than it's ever been since the days when it was the only format around, and I'm getting real tired of people asking, can I use this pov or is it awful.
You don't want to get her started again, do you? :)

KatG
December 8th, 2005, 09:07 PM
I just finished Mr. Bakker's "The Darkness that Comes Before" and now I'm reading Mr. Radthorne's "The Road to Kotaishi, Part 2." Both are in 3p omniscient.

But I would never set the ants on Sheepie. I don't have a death wish. :)

A. Lynn
December 14th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I am still in the middle of reading the story but want to let you know:

I like the it so far. I can see some things that still need to be hammered out.
Despite that some have critiqued that you've already made it cliche using the tired "Elph/elf" thing and etc... I actually <i>lust</i> for other's so-called "take" on the typical fantasy species and am curious about your Elph culture. You mention so many and say they are so different but I as the reader am curious just how different are they, anyway?

But: During the point where they are gathering in the White Elph's council place beneath the pines, you go into a lot of detail about how the place is made and how they take care of it etc.... at this point in the story it's good to mention what it looks like and a little bit of historical importance (i.e. you mention that it's no longer big enough to handle all the Elph) and I don't really want to know what the place is made out of, I want to know what the council has to say about this big news! Thought that was too much detail at a misappropiate time. Killed the feeling of possible impending doom.

Note: You are not the first, nor will you be the last, to use the name "Dragonback Mountains." May want to consider something different, as much as appetizing as the name is (I love dragons).

I will read the rest of it when I get time. Keep writing