PDA

View Full Version : yet another name that book

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

oldfish
December 12th, 2005, 08:38 PM
[I think name that book would be a fun subcategory, by the way, if we can make such things.]

Old memories of a book popped in my head a couple of days ago, and they won't go away, so i guess i have to find it again. I just tried allscifi (neat, but not helpful this time) and google (useless), and now i turn to you. ;)

This may be a long shot because it's a scifi book that seemed to have little of the sci -- i remember multiple worlds and civilizations mentioned, but the action was all/mostly on one planet, and tended toward fantasy.

Setting: planet with people with various psionic powers, which seem to cause long-term insanity. Little empathic dragons called wirri (sp?) use music to keep them under control and/or serve as a sanity barometer. Also some larger dragonlike forms that i believe were intelligent. (Almost sounds like McCaffrey with the large and small dragons, but i know it's not Pern.)

Plot: something about older civilizations using this planet for something, and a melting disease that may have been manufactured, and the main character showing up on the planet to investigate his brother's death from said disease.

I'm thinking this was from the 1980s...it's been at least 15 years since i read it.

Thanks for any clues...