View Full Version : Good Movies that Bomb

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Coconut Ent
December 14th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Dost thou know of any good movies that somehow didn't do well at the box office?

I thought Final Fantasy: Spirits Within was pretty good (even though my sister complained that the lips were slightly out of sync with the dialog), with an interesting premise.

I also liked The Island, it combined two cliched SF themes to get something I didn't expect.

I rather liked [/i]Kingdom of Heaven[/i].

I guess the real question of this thread is really:
What movies did you really, really like that bombed at the box office?

And what does this say about us?

Mojo is me
December 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM
I really do not pay a lot of attention to the box office. Somethings the critics rave about I hate--and one they hate I like. (Same situtation as with book reviews).

However, sometimes a movie may bomb for other reason that a bad story--for example, poor distribution; not enough marketing; being rleased with a horde of other movies and being lost in the shuffle, etc. etc.

Thank goodness almost everything comes out on DVD now so if you miss a movie you can catch the DVD.

Bridie
December 14th, 2005, 01:51 PM
i liked final fantasy: spirtits within, the graphics were awesome(very pretty) but that deffinetly didnt get advertised well otherwise i would have gone and seen it in the cinema instead of sitting at home watching it on dvd.

i dont mind ever so much if a movie i want to see isnt popular at the box office, it means that when i go see the movie the cinema wont be full of either, annoying small children(dont get me wrong i like kids, i am one my self really, but who would bring a baby of at least 18 months to see lotr 3?) Or annoying chavs who think its funny to throw popcorn and ring each other through the movie.

Quagmire
December 14th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Hudson Hawk :D

terminus est
December 14th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Brazil

The best movie ever made, and also, a huge tank at the box office, not even topping 10 million.

Boll Weevil
December 14th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Donnie Darko....huge DVD hit afterwards.

Shehzad
December 14th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Serenity.

'Nuff said.

Davis Ashura
December 14th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Serenity.

'Nuff said.

Agreed. But in today's world, I wouldn't count it out until the DVD receipts come in.

Leiali
December 20th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Well, in the Christmas spirit, I'd have to say It's a Wonderful Life - totally bombed when it came out and is now a classic. It's one of my favourite films ever.

juzzza
December 20th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I read somewhere that Serenity broke even at the Cinema, all DVD margins go straight to the profit pot... so don't see it as a flop at all, it also got some great reviews.

I second Hudson Hawk, loved it and will add:

Meet Joe Black
King Arthur
Jersey Girl