SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

the masked poet
December 15th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Hey all,
I'm kind of only half excited about the announcement in Australia about the new movie The Da Vinci Code coming out next May. I'm afraid that it will turn out like some book to screen movies and be pretty...well crap. :(
Has anyone else heard anything about the coming movie?
What does everyone else think this screen adaption will turn out like?
I loved the book and am steeling myself for disappointment but am hoping it will turn out ok.

TMP

terminus est
December 15th, 2005, 07:51 PM
The book was already a shallow action thriller movie in novel form. It read like a movie novelization. I foresee no problems in accurately transferring it to the big screen.

SturgeonFreak15
December 27th, 2005, 10:43 PM
I never actually read the book, although I wanted to. I came here to ask if I SHOULD read the book. What do you guys think? I haven't heard of anything bad or good as far as the movie goes...

Speaker of nonsense

ArthurFrayn
December 28th, 2005, 12:02 AM
tDVC is an entertaining McBook with cheese.
It'll take you about 4 minutes to read.
Go for it. :D

Wulfa_Jones
December 28th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Not really that fussed. I enjoyed the book but I'm not one of it's fanatics. I'd read Holy Blood and Holy Grail a couple of years before hand and so the "big reveal" wasn't that much of a shock.

I'm not a fan of the Tom Hanks casting but otherwise I think the casting was spot on. Trailer wasn't very good - didn't excite me much. Might go and see it on the cinema but more likely to wait for the DVD!

The Full Octave
January 2nd, 2006, 07:39 PM
The book was a cheap airport novel that seemed to make the general public think they stumbled upon the revelation of the century. In essence the book was a poorly developed story who's format of a chapter a page gave a reader the sense of a fast moving story. The puzzles in it were solved easier than a join the dots puzzle despite the ludicrious scenerios. Avoid this book like the plague. It fuelled far too many fools to go on pilgrimmages to uncover its secrets. These people embarking on this hunt is like trying to find Hogwarts, the Discworld or a Dark Tower.

Apperently his other books follow similiar formats. I cant wait not to read them. :)

The movie will break box office records and Tom Hanks will make lots of money and Mel Gibson will be bitter about people other than him cashing in on the Church in Movies :)

SturgeonFreak15
January 2nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Hmm. So I got a "go for it", and a "don't waste your time". I wonder how all of this will end... I still don't know if I will read it or not.

Speaker of Nonsense

Expendable
January 2nd, 2006, 11:44 PM
If you read the book now, you'll be able to judge for yourself how well they translated the book to the movie when you see it.

You might like the book.

You might not - which means you'll probably not want to watch the movie.

Or you leave it as a complete surprise and wait for the movie.

If you still can't decide, flip a coin. Heads you read the book - tails you wait for the movie. Rim and you'll have to take the challice from MI5 and bring it to Antartica.

-Expendable.

The Full Octave
January 3rd, 2006, 04:14 AM
I suggest you avoid the entire franchise completely so when people start to talk on the only topic they know (i.e the shocking discoveries of the di vinci code) who can say you don't know anything about it and watch them collapse under the shock of it all :)

SturgeonFreak15
January 3rd, 2006, 07:10 PM
Um, ok. that is my response to all of that. "ok." Lol. no really, I think I will skip it. give myself more time to read the really good stuff...

Speaker of Nonsense.