PDA

View Full Version : Baloney and Sir Stephen.....

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Holbrook
December 19th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Ok, it's the holiday season, and for a bit of fun, with a serious edge.

Typos!

A) What, in your own work, or others, have made you cringe?

B) What part in the creative process do typos play?

C) Has a typo actually altered the flow of your story for the better? (As in when weeding out the small demon of a thing, you have re-thought the passage it lay in)

Answer A) Well; I changed the name of a character from Sir Mathew to Sir Stephen, in a single paragraph in a 160,000 word novel... This novel also contained a lot of baloney.... for balcony. I also substituted a c for the r in the word, cork... Called beasts, breasts.... :eek: And this is the tip of the iceberg!!

Answer B) I think typos are a side affect of the creative process, mainly your fingers getting ahead of your mind and trying to outwit the spell-checker. (Re words that are spelt right, but totally out of context, or the wrong word in the wrong place)

Answer C) Yes, once or twice, and on occasion I have highlighted the passage and deleted it, as the typo was among a paragraph of verbal effluent

Dawnstorm
December 19th, 2005, 07:15 AM
A) Once I've written something like, "He turned her head." Instead of "He turned towards her," or something like that.

A favourite one: Read that on another board:

"OMG, I just saw a plain barley land." Aversion to monoculture? Nope, a typo:

"OMG, I just saw a plane barely land."

B) They send me off on a tangent. What could it mean, if this wasn't a typo?

C) Don't remember. I'm not all that prolific... :o

MrBF1V3
December 20th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Oftentimes I have difficulty spelling "the" right.

A. Cringe? Sometimes when I go back to read over something I've written, I have to wonder what kind of drugs I was on when I wrote it (and how I can get some more...). I still remember the time I replaced a thin doctor with a thing doctor. :rolleyes:

I have a knack for misplacing modifiers. I don't see anything wrong with it at the time. Later, I wonder how I can know so little about my native language.

B. Sometimes a simple typo can have creative uses. The Withone woods were so named because I missed the space bar in something totally unrelated. (I haven't finished that story yet, but I have my location.)

C. Sometimes a typo is an indicator that I'm getting too complicated, and I have been known to simplify a passage after a solid look, knowing that the reader doesn't always need to know how Joe Java's grandmother used to make cookies with red speckles, the same color as the blood spattered all over the barn--it just doesn't add anything to the overall story-- and leaves a bad taste in your mouth. :p

B5

onions
December 20th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Actually, I've never thought of my typos as particularly creative.

*tries to think*

Mostly, I just cross 'em out with sighs of disgust.

Kathryn
December 29th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Oftentimes I have difficulty spelling "the" right.

Joe Java's grandmother used to make cookies with red speckles, the same color as the blood spattered all over the barn--it just doesn't add anything to the overall story-- and leaves a bad taste in your mouth. :p

B5
I have found "the" unbelievably difficult to type at times.... and YUCK! waay bad taste in the mouth! :)

a) for cringe-- I look at all my writing and think This sounds like a 3rd grader trying to write, who am I kidding! :(

b) and c)I find most of my typos' highly irritating expecially when I am trying to get an idea down on paper and I mistype a word three times before I can move on to the next word. I know I should move on and leave the typo but I can't.