View Full Version : Greatest ever individual scene

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

CVLewis
December 19th, 2005, 06:36 PM
What would you rate as the greatest scene in a Science Fiction Film? My favorite which gets me at every viewing is the fantastic directorial cut in 2001 switching from the upthrusted bone to the similarly shaped spacecraft of the future. Everything about it perfect and breathtaking the contrast of apeman's roar & the silence of space, the scene changing handled beautifully in time and space. Close number 2 scene for me would be C. Heston & the S. of Liberty.

Evil Agent
December 19th, 2005, 09:24 PM
I don't really know why, but I think for me it might be the Dagobah swamp scenes in Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back. When Yoda lifts the ship out of the swamp. It's the best Yoda incarnation, it's dark and mysterious, it's about the force and the mentor and his pupil...Good stuff!

Surt
December 20th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Edit: I suck. A lot.

My favourite scene would probably be Charlton Heston and the Statue. Either that or the one with the 'Get your filthy paws off me you damn, dirty ape' line. The best line in cinematic history.

Evil Agent
December 20th, 2005, 02:22 AM
True Romance isn't Science Fiction though. Too bad Sci-Fi isn't in the thread's title, some confusion would probably be avoided.

Incidentally, I would consider my pick (from Empire Strikes Back) as both a Sci-Fi and a Fantasy film.

juzzza
December 20th, 2005, 02:48 AM
I think the opening sequence in Blade Runner, when you get a look at the city, is pretty awesome.

When Ripley stomps out driving the Cargo Suit to meet the Queen Alien in Aliens... that is pretty good.

The first time you see the Predator's face in Predator... yea man.

I think Dark City generally, is one long amazing scene.

Leiali
December 20th, 2005, 11:42 AM
The last scene in The Day the Earth Stood Still. Brilliant. Oh, and if I had to pick a scene from Blade Runner it would have to be Rutger Hauer's speech at the end to Harrison Ford. Absolutely classic.

terminus est
December 20th, 2005, 03:03 PM
The end of Brazil, where Lowry gets tortured to death by Michael Palin in a baby doll mask, but he never even felt the pain, he had escaped into his own delusional fantasy life, a life that had driven him throughout the whole movie. Completely brilliant, and one of the best endings of all time (tied with Aguirre: the Wrath of God, where Klaus Kinski floats on a raft alone, surrounded by monkeys, with death all around him).

CVLewis
December 21st, 2005, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=Evil Agent]True Romance isn't Science Fiction though. Too bad Sci-Fi isn't in the thread's title, some confusion would probably be avoided.

Fair point Evil Agent - can do, have done. (CVL - Frank actually)

ArthurFrayn
December 21st, 2005, 10:50 AM
The revealing of the Star Child at the end of 2001

Other than that-
some might regard it as hokey, and its hip to dislike everything by Steven Speilberg, but the revealing of the mother ship in Close Encounters can still impress me if I'm in the proper frame of mind.

NeonKnight
December 22nd, 2005, 09:30 AM
Great idea for a thread, thanks!

I really like almost every scene mentioned so far, and the others also sound like great scenes, but I have'nt seen some of those flicks yet!

2001 has some great, great moments, and the one with the flying spinning bone morphing into the space station is trully great. I also like the moment when we are first shown the enigmatic black slab in all its alien incomprehensible glory.

Another moment I love is the lines:

"Open the pod bay door Hal",

"I can't do that..." (damm can't remember the astronauts name)

Of course there are many great moments in "Empire" as well.

The Luke/Darth reveal was great the first time around.( if it was not pre-spoiled)

I have a lot more, I'm still deciding which is the greatest...