PDA

View Full Version : Ending....

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Holbrook
December 22nd, 2005, 01:46 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I am wiping the nose and bottom of my latest effort.

With the help of a dear friend, I have been nitpicking my way through it.

I think we caught most of the major errors with regards to flow, construction, grammar etc. The novel is a lot tighter and cleaner.

So once the submission letter is written in the quiet time between Christmas and New Year, it will be ready to go.

ONLY, I have a small problem. ROFL!

The story is solid, clear and clean up to the end of the main climax. It is what follows, the gentle ebbing of the story, the conclusion, or rather the scenes that draw this adventure to a close, the lowering of the curtain so to speak.

I have two endings. Both draw a line under the story, both leave enough for me to continue the tale should I be inclined. BUT, they take the characters in different directions.

I asked my test readers their opinion and their choices have come in split down the middle. (Does that statement make sense lol)

Anyway, that's my quandary. My gut tells me to go with the first, but the second is different...

choppy
December 22nd, 2005, 02:06 PM
You may want to put the project aside for the holidays, and then come back to it and make your decision then. Time often brings things into focus.

Are your test readers split down the middle because they don't like the other ending? Or do they simply prefer one over the other? If it's just a case of preference, then you're in luck. You're in a position to choose between two good options - and when you have to make a choice, those are the best ones to make.

And when in doubt, go with your gut.

Dawnstorm
December 22nd, 2005, 02:27 PM
I say, go with your gut.

Even if that means you end up with the weaker ending. :p

The original ending appears less constucted, and more open, both of which are good things.

The new ending enhances conceptual unity without downplaying what happened.

Or write a third one. Be evil. Give the ending to a certain agent...

Actually, I still think you should go with your gut.

Holbrook
December 22nd, 2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks Choppy...

Dawnstorm;

My gut says the first, mainly because it is a conclusion, but not the end, as in the "bad" guys are still out there, for all the world, innocent, of the crimes they set in motion.

The second ending is a bit clichéd, in the manner the two characters "vanish". I feel as if I want to pull it apart and find out how they managed it, does that make sense....

The third, oh yes, having him standing on a misty street corner, smoking his cigar and watching the lighted window of Sir Henry's study, mulling over what is happening inside lol...

I feel, if I ever did another story about these characters, it would be a pre-sequel detailing the events leading up to and about Coot's Pass.

That agent could become the main character in a number of stories...lol...

Sorry mulling over thoughts, as we are now approaching the last mile so to speak...

johnkarr
December 22nd, 2005, 07:23 PM
You may want to put the project aside for the holidays, and then come back to it and make your decision then. Time often brings things into focus.

And when in doubt, go with your gut.

Total agreement with the chop. Tough to set aside something you've been slaving over for so long, but distance is important. More than once I've looked over an abandoned story ("finished") at a later date and saw some shoring up that needed to be done. Then you can start a new battle over nit-picking or true improvement.

Gut is what created the story, I wouldn't rule against it until your editor insists ... and even then not without a good argument.

Good writing ....

Holbrook
December 23rd, 2005, 01:56 AM
The ending I will keep thinking on, the rest, well, it has been edited, hard, since August. The present edit is about the sixth of the whole manuscript. (each section was edited as it was completed, more than once) Time it was kicked out of the house, so to speak.

I will look at it again after it has clocked up a dozen or so rejections ;)

Seems my gut is the way most think I should go...

Expendable
December 23rd, 2005, 06:27 AM
One and Three sounds better. Going with your gut might be the way to go.

Dawnstorm
December 23rd, 2005, 08:01 AM
The second ending is a bit clichéd, in the manner the two characters "vanish". I feel as if I want to pull it apart and find out how they managed it, does that make sense....

Makes perfect sense. :)

(I don't want to say too much, as I want you to go with your gut reaction, really. But the difference is mainly one of continuity; the first ending has the novel release tension slowly and recaptiulates all the loose ends [well, most...] in one PoV; the second has the novel end mid-action with terrible ambiguity - then gives a two-part epilogue that hints on what has happened, distributing what's mostly interior monologue in the firt one across two specific scenes in the second one.)

The third, oh yes, having him standing on a misty street corner, smoking his cigar and watching the lighted window of Sir Henry's study, mulling over what is happening inside lol...

Hehe... I can see it...

I feel, if I ever did another story about these characters, it would be a pre-sequel detailing the events leading up to and about Coot's Pass.

That agent could become the main character in a number of stories...lol...

Sorry mulling over thoughts, as we are now approaching the last mile so to speak...

Coot's Pass; could be interesting... But what about the Candle-maker story? *evil grin*

Holbrook
December 23rd, 2005, 09:55 AM
Makes perfect sense. :)

(I don't want to say too much, as I want you to go with your gut reaction, really. But the difference is mainly one of continuity; the first ending has the novel release tension slowly and recaptiulates all the loose ends [well, most...] in one PoV; the second has the novel end mid-action with terrible ambiguity - then gives a two-part epilogue that hints on what has happened, distributing what's mostly interior monologue in the firt one across two specific scenes in the second one.)

I understand. I am tempted by the second one, but will leave if as the first for now. Plenty of time to think on that if any agent/editor asks for the whole manuscript lol.....

Hehe... I can see it...

I am really thinking of adding a couple of paragraphs, but will, again, think on it.

Coot's Pass; could be interesting... But what about the Candle-maker story? *evil grin*

To be honest I am "written out" at present. Once I have finished the corrections and sent Oracle out, I am going to spend most of January reading rather than writing. I have a few books I want to read before they get buried in dust! lol...

Dawnstorm
December 23rd, 2005, 10:47 AM
Choppy's right, isn't he? Taking a break might be the best decision, right now.

I mean, you've accomplished a novel! :D

Edit: Why is the big-grin smily green?