PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice (Language)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Lady of Waset
December 23rd, 2005, 04:35 PM
I'm a bit stuck here so I'm really counting on you guys. :-)

I have this world. Some time ago one country became completely conceiled from the other world by magic. This was a major event. Me (as the author) and the characters are going to be referring to this even quite often. I need a suitable descriptive word (one word!) to name this event. It can be a bit archaic, it can be a bit poetic.

I have come up with some variants but I don't really love any of them. The best ones so far are:

Enshrouding
Beclouding

OK, now that I've typed them they look even more stupid and over the top.

What do you think about these? Could you think of anything better? I will be forever grateful and mention you in the preface (if this wretched thing is ever finished :D ).

BLACK HAMMER
December 23rd, 2005, 07:09 PM
Give us more info.

JWREmmett
December 23rd, 2005, 07:09 PM
You're focusing based on the literal separation as an event.
You might consider the perspective of its cause or effect.

"The Cleansing"?

Expendable
December 23rd, 2005, 09:42 PM
I'm going to assume that both countries were aware of one another. And the one was aware the other had magic.

To the outside country, assuming the secret was kept from them, it would be The Destruction, either by their local deity or the magicians calling down their own destruction. Infact, there's probably several stories. And some who might suspect it's really a trick. But it could be used to come down hard on anyone showing magic ability - a single magic trick could call a howling mob down on the magician.

To the enshrouded nation, they'd give it other names. I'm guessing they did this because they felt threatened. So it would be The Hiding, The Cloaking, The Shield, The Great Wall. Or maybe The Masquerade. You can find other suggestions by looking in a thesaurus (http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=enshroud).

What might help is knowing how they concealed their country. Was it a wall of mountains? Swirling fog? An earthquake that created a gorge? Or is it an illusion?

MrBF1V3
December 24th, 2005, 12:21 AM
The question may be; how do the parties involved feel about it? Why was this necessary?

Maybe, the collection, the escapade, the escape, the great deception, the turn of the key, the final separation, the divertisement, the day of the curtain, the cold day in hell, ...

Well, you get the point.

B5

Michael B
December 24th, 2005, 01:38 AM
In "The Mists Of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley a process such as you have described takes place. One side totally ignores what is going on because they don't care about the split The other accepts the process because they initiated it, but don't give it a name. It is more a statement of fact like the changing from one season to another than something big like the liberation of a country or the fall of the Iron Curtain

Edward Knight
December 24th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Here are a few words that come to mind when I think of hiding something. I don't know if they are of any help.

Veil
Shroud
Cloak (nah, too Star Trek)
Mantle
Mask
Curtain
Illusion
Chimera
Inhibit
Eclipse
Shade

Of course you can add the "ing" to most of those.

Veiling
Shrouding
Cloaking (nah, still too Star Trek)
Mantling
Masking
Curtaining
Illusion
Chimera
Inhibiting
Eclipsing
Shading

Best I can do off the top of my head.

Edward Knight
December 24th, 2005, 11:23 AM
How about Sheathing or Encasement?

David Forbes
December 24th, 2005, 01:10 PM
The Separation
The Sundering
The Shrouding
The Veiling
The Severing

Lady of Waset
December 25th, 2005, 03:19 AM
WOW guys.

You are the best. Lots of excellent sugestions. :rolleyes: Really got me thinking.

Now on to the more detailed comments. :)