PDA

View Full Version : dedicated to writing

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Mathain
December 25th, 2005, 01:52 AM
In just a short while, it'll be Christmas and Hanukka, and like many of you I'll be celebrating with family. The usual gamut of gift-giving, dinners with relatives, bagging up mounds of wrapping paper that has collected in drifts in the corners of every room, washing countless dishes, duct taping the kids down after they've snagged too many red and green M&Ms... all the usual hullabaloo of the holidays.

Then, when it's all settled down, when the kids are tucked away with their piles of new dolls and teddy bears, I'll do what I do every year, every day. I'll retreat to the comfortable climes of the laptop, and I'll push away those stray thoughts of holiday cheer, and I'll begin writing.

I see writing as more than a passion, more than an occasional hobby. I approach writing as my second job, just like any other second job, except there's no holiday pay or weekends off or health insurance. I work harder at my second job than I do at my first, because I love doing it. Love and passion are what drive me to perform... but treating it as a job pushes me back into the seat every single day, even though everyday distractions try to keep me away.

For many would-be writers, it is the distractions that keep them from following their passion. It becomes all too easy to find excuses NOT to write - it's always the first thing to go when garden variety life rears its head. Putting in overtime at the day job? No time to write. Driveway needs snowblowing, sidewalk needs salting? There goes the strength to write. Fighting with the spouse over bills and the way the dog sheds too much and who's turn is it to mop the floor and dammit, those bathroom tiles aren't going to lay themselves? Bam, there goes writing.

But if you are serious about becoming a writer, you must steal the moments to write from the day, stealth-like if you must, a thief in the night snatching precious gem minutes from the monolithic Everyday Life. Wake half an hour early to scribble in a notebook while chugging your morning coffee. Be ruthless! Steal time from your day job - write on your lunch break, in boring meetings, between customers at the registers! If you are a writer, you will make the time to write, no matter what obstacles rise before you. Become a guerrilla writer if you must, but WRITE. Write hard, write fast, and never take a day off.

Embrace your passion. The more you write, the more often you write, the better you will become.

Merry holidays, SFF World writers!

Ward
December 25th, 2005, 02:55 PM
You're write!

I mean right :) Gotta love that dedication, something I'm trying for but its been hard.

Holbrook
December 28th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Embrace your passion. The more you write, the more often you write, the better you will become.

Yes, the more you write, the better you become. BUT beware embracing the passion, because it can and does become an obsession. Been there, done that. The desire and need to write, at one time for me, became so overpowering my personal life became ruled by it.

It was only when I neally died, did I see the foolishness. I had become so obsessed I had in some ways stopped living. I had sealed myself in a little made up world and missed out on a lot of life.

Lesson learned. I write when I am in the mood, have the time and strength (the latter being very important as I am now handicapped) And strangely the writting is stronger because of it.

pcarney
December 28th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Its odd- the more I become fixated on writing fiction, the harder I find it to actually sit down and do it. The words don't flow, and what I do write always reads like crap to me. However, if I take a step back and write 'lightly' it seems to flow much easier.

Perseverance is the key, though. As was said, actually sitting and writing (then deconstructing what you write) is the most important thing.

Jamza1986
December 28th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I've been writing seriously for over two years now, and one and a half and a quarter and many bits of novels later (:D) I feel I've matured. Writing for me is no longer the main goal, and no longer the one I seriously hope to ever make a living from. It is more an imaginative journey, its something I can do to express myself, and I love the feeling of accomplishment of having created something.

(I still can't spell though!!)

tyler vaughn
December 31st, 2005, 04:45 AM
I definitely agree with Holbrok with the obsession. The difference is that though I am obsessed with it I seldom make something that doesn't bore people within 2 lines of reading. :D
Perhaps what they said about practice makes perfect was true, after all.