PDA

View Full Version : How do your stories come to you?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Kathryn
December 28th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Forgive me if this has already been discussed. I tried doing a search and couldn't find a thread on this.

How do your stories come to you?
I have read that for Robert Jordan the story plot came to him complete in a moment's time, he just has to write it down. (easier said than done!)
I have read that Steven King dreams his books more or less.

Does your story come from a moment of inspiration, whole and complete? Or do you sit down and say, "Hum, I am going to write something about an apprenticing magician."? Do you mull over an idea for years like CS Lewis (Narnia) and Tolkien have done, before you even write down a word.

Once you have your story in your head, can you sit down and feverously write all night or do you laboriously write it over days, months, years? Do you outline first?

I am just curios. Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back!

aurora_ice
December 28th, 2005, 08:38 PM
For the story i posted on this site, the inspiration just came kind of out of nowhere. it came to me, and i was like, "i think i should write this down before i forget it," and did. i dont think i could have written it over a period of time because i have a short attention span, but that's just me lol

Expendable
December 28th, 2005, 10:56 PM
There are moments of inspiration where everything just suddenly comes together. Characters, story line, plots - it's wonderful.

You then spend the next few minutes trying to write as much as you can down - or speaking into a cassette recorder hoping everyone in earshot doesn't think you've gone completely off your rocker or off to lolly.

But sometimes inspiration doesn't come. So sometimes we have to work an idea. Some writers do the object game where you take any three objects and work them into a story. There's even a card game called "Once Apon A Time" which is all about telling a story using elements found on the cards in your hand.

tracyt1800
December 29th, 2005, 08:41 AM
I get small bursts of inspiration. An story element, a character, a subplot (that with work might be a full plot), etc. Then I have to sit and ponder them. I do a lot of that while shopping, doing work around the house, etc. Then the ideas start to really gel.

Michael B
December 29th, 2005, 12:50 PM
My stories tend to come in two halves because most of them require two elements. Usually the first half comes from nowhere; driving to work or lying in bed in the morning are often good locations although not the only ones. A lot of the them get binned at this stage.

The second usally appears from cerebral activity trying to get the half one to work or to plug a hole in it. If the story still doesn't work it might be binned or if fortunate just archived. Then I start thinking about the next one.

dvdrom
December 29th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Stoires come from the earth. I thought everyone knew that. There like fossils that you discover, uncover, dust away the debris and reveal to the world. Sometime that fossil is small, a tiny thing. Othertimes its a mammoth - huge and hairy and very long. Just think Epic Fantasy and you'll get the pic! ;)

Kathryn
December 29th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Stoires come from the earth. I thought everyone knew that. There like fossils that you discover, uncover, dust away the debris and reveal to the world. Sometime that fossil is small, a tiny thing. Othertimes its a mammoth - huge and hairy and very long. Just think Epic Fantasy and you'll get the pic! ;)
I like that!
It explains why it feels like something not of my own making. I don't create the story, just write down what I find in my soul. I usually discover it is a huge hairy thing! :eek:

Kat

dvdrom
December 29th, 2005, 02:29 PM
I like that!
It explains why it feels like something not of my own making. I don't create the story, just write down what I find in my soul. I usually discover it is a huge hairy thing! :eek:

Kat

Actually, i have to own up - the fossil metaphor isn't mine. Stephen King said it, but the huge hairy thing? Well, i made that up. But i think you're right - stories feel like they're a discovery. bit odd, isn't it?

BLACK HAMMER
December 29th, 2005, 05:49 PM
A good bottle of scotch sets me off on the right direction.

dvdrom
December 30th, 2005, 09:14 AM
here, here! I'll drink to that!