PDA

View Full Version : *** Best (and Worst) Films of 2005 ***

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Evil Agent
December 30th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Well, there was one of these for last year's films. Now that 2005 is over (in just over 24 hours), how about looking back at the best and worst films you saw this year.

I think the idea last time was to post your BEST 2, and WORST 2, and eventually to tally up a score. Of course, the rules are flexible.

For me this was a year of fantasy/sci-fi blockbusters... I'd say:

BEST (in order)
1. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
2. Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
4. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
5. King Kong
6. Batman Begins
7. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
8. Sin City

WORST (that I saw)
1. Kingdom of Heaven (despite having a weakness for epics, I just found this one sort of boring... I was very disappointed)
2. War of the Worlds (liked it a lot the first time, but on a second viewing the flaws stood out sharply)

WORST WORST (I never saw them, but they sound bad!)
1. Elektra
2. Alone in the Dark (particularly Tara *shudder* Reid)

Shehzad
December 30th, 2005, 08:56 PM
The movies that I enjoyed the most this year:

1. The Constant Gardener
2. Syriana
3. Serenity
4. Cinderella Man
5. Batman Begins
6. Sin City
7. King Kong
8. Star Wars III: RotS
9. The Wedding Crashers

The movies I enjoyed the least:

1. A History of Violence (I heard all the glowing reviews... and just... shook my head)
2. War of the Worlds
3. Mr & Mrs Smith

Luke_B
December 31st, 2005, 12:01 AM
I actually liked War of the Worlds, which I thought was much better than most of the blockbusters this year.

Otherwise it was really only The Life Aquatic of Steve Zissou that I thought was great film out of those I managed to catch this year.

I also found The Woodsman, Batman Begins, and Sin City interesting, but all a tad overrated. Land of the Dead was fine for what it was.

Worst movie, without a doubt, was Revenge of the Sith. Urgh!

Evil Agent
December 31st, 2005, 03:23 AM
To have Star Wars as my top film, I would have to be a pretty huge Star Wars fan, ... which I am, I guess. :)

(yes the movie was totally flawed, but was the best of the prequels, and had a lot of good emperor scenes!)

Leiali
December 31st, 2005, 11:21 AM
Shehzad - aren't you forgetting something? Film 2005 on BBC1 here had its readers vote and they voted Serenity as the best film of the year, followed by Batman Begins and then Sin City, fourth was Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

I didn't like Sin City much, though I appreciated the style, otherwise, I think I agreed with that, though my list would look like this:

Serenity
Batman Begins
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
Sideways

Sideways was 9 on the viewers list. I don't have anything to add to that list as I am not much of a cinema goer!

Tarn
December 31st, 2005, 11:31 AM
I thought it was a superb year for film (other than an utterly, utterly rubbish summer period).

My 10 Favourite Films of 2005:
Note: Ask me again tomorrow and I'll give you a different list

10. The Sea Inside
Haunting, sentimental, almost ludicrously emotional film about a paralysed Spanish guy fighting for his right to die. Superb performances make the film.

9. Star Wars Ep3
All the cheese, fun, imagination, excitement and humour I expect from a Star Wars film, coupled with an unexpected dose of nastiness and political savvy.

8. King Kong
6 more months to tighten the edit and perfect the visual effects, and this would probably have been my favourite movie of all time. As it is, it's just #8 of my 2005 list, and doesn't even hit my All-Time 10.

7. The Machinist
Amazing performance from Christian Bale (obviously), and very creepy stuff overall. Crafts a brilliant sense of paranoia. Oh yeah, and it also has Michael Ironside in it, which makes it an instant classic in my book.

6. The Descent
Best British film over the year. Scariest film I've ever seen. Great sense of humour.

5. A Very Long Engagement
Amelie with a limp, in detective mode. Amazing visuals, touching and beautiful story, brilliantly quirky set-pieces.

4. Sin City
Hard boiled noir, artistically innovative, technically spiffy, great music, good performances, brilliant dialogue (if you like that kinda thing), hilariously dark sense of humour (if you like that kinda thing).

3. Serenity
OK, so I'm a fan. But I genuinely think this is a great film, and the best 'space scifi' we've had for years and years (yes, far better than any of the Star Wars prequels).

2. Batman Begins
If I'm feeling geeky, this is the best film of the year by a long, long way. My two favourite superheroes have always been Spider-Man and Batman (well, if we're not including Rorschach). Spider-Man because he's a completely ordinary guy who accidentally ends up with superpowers...but still has all the problems of an ordinary guy. And Batman because he's a normal human being, no powers at all, and yet still does what he does.

1. Sideways
I keep coming back to this one. While it doesn't tickle my geek bone like Batman Begins, it's an absolutely sublime bit of character drama/comedy. Great performances, brilliant script, laid back filmmaking and music. My biggest and most pleasant surprise of the year. Can't wait to see Thomas Hayden Church in Spidey 3.

JonLaidlow
January 1st, 2006, 09:13 AM
I'm a big fan of Serenity but I don't think it was a "film of the year". My wife scoffed at Serenity coming top on Film 05 as its probably another one of those internet campaign votes. Good film, yes, but better than everything else out this year? No. I'm right there with whoever said "The Life Aquatic" as my ultimate favourite. I'm a big fan of Star Wars III for finally getting most of it right. I also enjoyed the Producers and King Kong and would put those in my top ten too.

J

Snowdragon
January 2nd, 2006, 08:12 AM
Best I can remember seeing in 2005
(most foreign or arthouse movies are superior in general)

1. I (heart) Huckabees
3. The Aquatic Life
4. Look both ways
7. Maria Full of Grace
4. Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire
6. Sideways
2. Motorcycle Diaries
8. Touching the Void (maybe 2004)
9. In My Father's Den
10. Lilya 4Ever (mayber 2004)

Worst
(besides all the usual Hollywood rubbish like Legally Blonde)

1. Narnia- Lion etc (because I expected a lot more)
2. Little Fish (for the reason above)
3. King Kong (as above)
4-10 Nearly everything that shows at mainstream cinemas

My all time best is "Lord of the Rings" and I can't stand heavy handed (heavily-praised) films like "Mystic River"

Shehzad
January 2nd, 2006, 09:41 PM
Shehzad - aren't you forgetting something? Film 2005 on BBC1 here had its readers vote and they voted Serenity as the best film of the year, followed by Batman Begins and then Sin City, fourth was Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

*slaps forehead* D'oh!

Of course, Serenity slots in just below Syriana.