PDA

View Full Version : I know somebody is going to kill me for asking this, but....

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Zsinj
January 3rd, 2006, 07:46 PM
...just what is the tv series Dr. Who about? I know this show has a big fan following on this website, and there's a bunch of excited hubub going around about the upcoming new movie or new series (I don't know which it is). I remember only vaguely watching Dr. Who when I was a little kid, but my mom said I absolutely loved it and watched it every night it came on. All I can remember about it is I think I remember it being about this dude who traveled through time and other dimensions in a telephone booth, and I remember the Dalek things that looked like evil versions of R2D2, but beyond that, I can't remember much of anything. I know I sound like a total dummy, but could someone please fill me in?

Bad Heartburn
January 3rd, 2006, 07:50 PM
I never watched the show, but I used to turn to it just to hear the theme song.

franjacobs
January 4th, 2006, 07:37 AM
man and his assistant (billie piper in this case) travels through tardis (telelphone box) for no reason that i know, and do stuff. they just arive on some world, do something, then go off again.

sounds crappy! btu its interesting enough. tho i am not a big fan, i do watch it from time to time. saw the xmas one. *shrug* that's it. just think of him as a timetraveller who does various stuff for no real reason.

Ouroboros
January 4th, 2006, 08:16 AM
From the FAQ section of 'Outpost Gallifrey', one of the better Doctor Who sites on the web:-

Who/what is Doctor Who?

It's the story of a wanderer in space and time known only as the Doctor, on the run from his homeworld and traveling in a dimensionally transcendental time machine (i.e. bigger on the inside than on the outside), the camouflage system of which became stuck in the shape of a London police public call box. The Doctor, who is in reality a Time Lord from the far-future civilization on the planet Gallifrey, now travels time and space fighting the forces of darkness, taking on traveling companions from places he visits who join him on his adventures. The Doctor's true name has never been revealed, thus the reason for the series' title, 'Doctor Who'.
Much of its success was due to its flexible nature: the Doctor's people have the power to regenerate their bodies during near-death experiences, allowing the central character to be recast with a new actor ... and a new personality completely.

(more at http://www.gallifreyone.com/whofaq.php)

If I were looking for reasons why Doctor Who has enjoyed such tremendous longevity (at least 26 seasons, not counting spin-offs and specials), I would put it partially down to the protean nature of the main character as described above: The ability to retain the central character while recasting and reinventing him again and again is a potent strength of the series.

Likewise, Doctor Who plotlines often made other series look abrupt and rushed. Instead of beginning and ending in the space of an hour, it has been the norm for plotlines in the past to span between six and fourteen episodes. Although, if your only experience of the series is in the US, then you might only have seen omnibus episodes, as this was thought to be the only way an american audience would watch the show.

Finally, the series has a knack for stumbling across the truly iconic. When the stair-hating Daleks first appeared on screen, for example, they elicited a tremendous response from the TV public.

In its current incarnation, Doctor Who is designed to be a little open-ended. Younger viewers new to the franchise can watch it and if all they get from it is that its some bloke and a girl travelling around time and space "doing stuff" and then going off somewhere else, then that's fine ... if they enjoy it! If you remember the older shows and a bit of the extremely long-running plotlines (such as: Did the Doctor have a hand in destroying his home planet?) then you get the satisfaction of seeing what is the latest chapter in a real SF phenomenon.

milamber_reborn
January 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM
It's the greatest show of all time. I used to watch it in the late 80s (aged 5) when it was nearing cancellation and read whatever novelisations I could find at the local library.

The original 26 seasons have been shown start to finish in many countries the past 2 years (minus all the stories the BBC threw away in a fit of madness), and many are available on DVD & VHS.

http://www.tv.com/doctor-who/show/355/summary.html?q=doctor+who

Evil Agent
January 5th, 2006, 12:10 AM
This thread makes me feel like I'm missing out! I never really saw Dr. Who, partly because I don't remember it being on much, and partly because I didn't really 'get' it. But I am a fan of Star Trek (and the Next Generation), and Red Dwarf, if that means anything. Maybe I should try and find some episodes.

milamber_reborn
January 5th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evil, if you love Red Dwarf then you already have the pre-requisite good taste to enjoy a budget British classic like Dr Who.

Make sure you watch the new season in a few months.

ArthurFrayn
January 9th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I saw the Tom Baker shows years ago and thought they were a hoot. Liked them a lot.

Evil Agent
January 10th, 2006, 02:24 AM
So... is the show humorous?

ArthurFrayn
January 10th, 2006, 04:33 PM
At least that incarnation, the fourth incarnation played by Tom Baker, was breezy and played with an ironic touch.It was easy to get a kick out of.