PDA

View Full Version : 1960s Scifi book? Anyone recognise this precis?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Bob Lock
January 6th, 2006, 12:45 PM
:eek:

Here is a toughie for you. I first got addicted to Sci-Fi stories around 1964-65 one of my first reads was "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester circa 1956, perhaps one of the first cyber-punk genre of stories. The other book I don't remember the title of or the author so I thought I'd pick your guys' brains. Here is an idea of how the story goes:
A criminal is sentenced to "death" in the future. However, "death" in this time means being stored in a cryogenic pod until such time a humane way to punish criminals is found. However, due to either a worldwide war or catastrophe it means that the pod is buried and he is preserved for a great number of years.

During this time an automated space-shuttle service has been commutting to another planet where it robotically collects human type beings to return them to Earth. When everything was fine with the system there was no problem, but after the war Earth and humanity degenerates into a new "Dark Age" where food is at a premium. Needless to say, the shuttles are now providing a source of food for the survivors. The criminal gets reawakened into this nightmare and helps a young woman escape from the latest shuttle flight and the story revolves around their attempts to survive.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Hope it does, I'd really like to know the stories name and the author.

Many thanks

Bob

Bob Lock
January 12th, 2006, 09:16 AM
No-one out there with any notion of the author or story? :eek:

Bob

Boll Weevil
January 12th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Intrigued I did a bit of a search the only near hit I got was a novella/short story from the 50s called "Delayed in Transit" by Floyd Wallace..I couldn't find a summary. But the time and name look about right. It has being included in a number of old anthologies. Good luck.

Bob Lock
January 13th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Thanks Boll Weevil for the reply. I did a search too after your mention of Wallace. It shows up quite a lot on the net but unfortunately I haven't been able to find any example of the story, so I'm still unsure if this is the one or not. I'll keep on trying though; btw I think it's called Delay in Transit

Many thanks,
Bob :)

ps: If anyone has Delay in Transit I would appreciate a summary of the story.