PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Recommendations

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Mhysa
December 9th, 2001, 06:49 PM
I'm looking for recommendations for games for PlayStation 2. Christmas present for my husband. Adult fantasy games and strategy type stuff.

Alucard
December 10th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Well, as far as adult games go, grand theft auto 3 is great (but beware, it is EXTREMELY violent) and metal gear solid 2 is another solid bet. Both are great games with adult themes and a good bit of strategy.

As for fantasy, squaresoft just announced that they will release final fantasy 10 in a limited supply on dec. 18th (this is assuming you live in america). This is probably the most anticipated ps2 game, so it will be very hard to get ahold of. You'll eaither have to be there at the crack of dawn or find a place that will let you pay in advance if you want to get this one before christmas (the normal release date isn't until late january). A game called ICO is both fantasy and strategy, but its rather short, so fifty bucks isnt really worth the length.

hope that helps.

Mhysa
December 10th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Alucard, thanks for your help. I forgot to mention that he asked for Devil May Cry. I think I'll skip on grand theft auto 3, the kids are usually around watching the games. What's Metal Gear solid 2 like? Can you give me a quick run down, if you have the time. Thanks

Alucard
December 12th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Devil may cry is really fun, though the learning curve is a bit steep. It's really difficult at first, which I actually like, but it has a tendency to turn some people off. All in all, I thought it was great, and your husband will probably really like it.

If the kids are around, avoiding grand theft auto 3 is a really smart move. It's the most immoral game I've ever played. Not to say that i didn't love it, it's one of the funnest games I've come across in a long time, but I'm not the most easily offended person, therefore, I'm probably not the best judge.

Metal gear solid 2 is really great. The game style is very unique in the fact that you are a spy, and you actually want to cause as little commotion as possible. Your forced to sneak around complex buildings in hopes of stopping terrorists. So running in with guns blazing isn't always the best technique. In many situations, it's better just to choke the guard and avoid them altogether to avoid him calling for backup. One of the most amazing elements of the game though, is how intelligent the enemies are. If you leave tracks in the snow, they'll spot your tracks and begin to follow them. If your casting a shadow across a walkway, they'll spot it and call for backup. They even hear your footsteps if you walk on metal grating, or can be frightened into remaining quiet if handled properly, and it makes the game feel very exciting and fleshed out. The weapons you use are very high tech and inventive, and in the end, they are simply a blast to play with. As for the story, the metal gear games are as close to playing a movie as anyone has come yet.It's very immersive, and the soundtrack only boosts the feeling. My only complaint is that the game isn't incredibly long (took me about fifteen hours), and that the plot, although interesting and full of great twists, wasn't thoroughly thought out. There's plot holes for sure, but none so serious that it dimishes the overall story, though they are definitely noticable (and since the story of the first metal gear solid was so well done, this aspect was a little bit of a let down). As for graphics, the game is simple beautiful and just oozes style. It's one of the best looking games out there. But as a gift, it's an excellent title and easily one of the best games for ps2 yet.

hope that helps...

(I play way too many video games)

Cauthon
December 13th, 2001, 02:19 AM
007 - Agent Under Fire
Extermination
Resident Evil - Code Veronica X

Sorry but I can think of no Strategy games worth getting on the PS2.

Cadfael
December 15th, 2001, 01:32 PM
The only game I have played to any extent on the PS2 is Grand Turismo 3, which is a racing game... sorry... I mean is THE racing game. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Mhysa
December 16th, 2001, 04:52 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for the recommendations. Grand Turismo 3 came with the game. I got him the steering wheel and pedals to go with it. I bought Metal Gear Solid 2 and I found Devil May Cry used for 30 bucks. I picked up the strategy guide for both of those games. I'm now out of money. You know, he said he was buying the PS2 for the kids, LOL.

Rob B
December 17th, 2001, 03:08 AM
I never thought I would recommend this one, but I played it over a friend's house this weekend.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3. This game is fun and addicitive.

Araw
December 17th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Tony Hawk is cool, I personally like EA sports NFL game. However not everyone likes football.

Alucard
December 18th, 2001, 07:43 AM
The tony hawk games are great, even if you hate skateboarding. Another great game that just came out for ps2 and x-box is max payne. If you have a nice pc, I'd reccomend getting it for that, but if not, a ps2 port will suffice. But it's certainly one of the coolest action games to come out in a long while.