View Full Version : American Gothic out on DVD and a warning

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

AuntiePam
January 11th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Fans of this show have been waiting for a DVD release for years, and what do we get? The episodes are out of order, so you have to switch disks to watch as intended, and the disk quality is crap.

Two of the episodes in my set were fouled up. Got about halfway through and no more. Luckily, they weren't critical episodes.

I thought about returning the set, but some reviewers at Amazon are saying they've had three sets and none of them were problem-free.

So feh on Universal for releasing such a shoddy product.

AuntiePam
January 11th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Oh, and no extras, except for some deleted/extended scenes.

Hobbit
January 12th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I still have copies around on VHS tape when it was shown here in the UK. I quite liked it as a series, thought Gary Cole was a very underrated actor, though I was a little bored in places, and I have the sneaking suspicion I missed the end...

Is it worth mentioning that it was one of the first series produced by Shaun Cassidy, now making Invasion (which has just started here in the UK?).

Thanks for the heads up, though, Pam - I was thinking of importing the DVD (no Region 2 yet!) - might just wait for a while.

Hobbit

AuntiePam
January 12th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah, it was a great series. Good idea, waiting -- maybe they'll do it right for Region 2 players. The set includes 4 episodes that weren't shown in the original run, but were shown later on the SciFi channel. I hadn't seen those.

I'll tell you how it ends, if you want to know. :)

AuntiePam
January 12th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Oh, and Gary Cole has a new series. It's called Wanted and it's on TNT. Second season started a couple of months ago. He's the leader of a team of crime fighters. It's pretty good.

Hobbit
January 12th, 2006, 04:51 PM
LOL... thanks, Pam.

The missing episodes might explain why I did/didn't see the ending....

Appreciate the offer but think i might wait till I've watched them again. Sadly I think it's fairly unlikely they'll do a Region 2 version (not the market!) though I'll keep a look out. Just don't ask what they did with Season 1 of Lost between Region 1 & 2....

First season of Wanted is being promoted to start here soon...

I actually didn't think Gary was bad in the Babylon 5 spinoff, Crusade, though that only lasted about 13 episodes.... there goes my potential for cool. :D

Hobbit

Tarn
January 13th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Gary Cole is fantastic. He was amazing in American Gothic...very, very creepy and clever performance. While the show become a bit repetitive in the middle, the opening and closing episodes were fantastic - the final episode in particular I recall being rather gobsmacking.

I also liked him a lot in Crusade. I was given the Crusade DVD set for Christmas, and have been rather tentatively watching it. Curiously, it is a lot better than I remember, and vastly better than its reputation would suggest. Certainly, the opening 'War Zone' episode is godawful, but the rest I've watched have been pretty good - makes me think of a more thoughtful, mystical version of Star Trek Next Gen, curiously. Cole is an unusual and interesting lead, and it's good to see Lost's Daneil Dae Kim in an earlier role.

Of course, all it's actually done is got me more annoyed that it was cancelled before finding its feet.

Crusade, Firefly, American Gothic, Dark Skies...all of varying quality, but all with such promise and cut off before their time. :(

Hobbit
January 13th, 2006, 10:34 AM
LOL... that's at least two of us then, Tarn. :) Now I do need to see the end. :D

Hobbit

Leiali
January 14th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Oh, and Gary Cole has a new series. It's called Wanted and it's on TNT. Second season started a couple of months ago. He's the leader of a team of crime fighters. It's pretty good.

I saw it advertised on digital and thought it might be worth checking out, thanks for the heads up on it Auntie Pam. Does anyone remember 'Midnight caller', I think it was some time in the late eighties early nineties, and my sister and I used to love watching it. That was my introduction to Gary Cole as an actor, I remember thinking it was quality drama, but back then I thought Airwolf was too so I am not sure the teen me can be relied upon!

AuntiePam
January 14th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I think your teenage memory is fine. Cole was fine in Midnight Caller. :)

I haven't heard of Crusade. Glad you mentioned it.