PDA

View Full Version : Wheel of Time RPG...ooops!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

matthewajg
November 5th, 2001, 03:55 AM
Has anyone out there purchased/browsed the new Wheel of Time RPG from Wizards of the Coast? The artwork is stunning, one of the many improvements Wizards has brought to the old TSR role-playing game systems. The books is quite thorough and gives a wealth of details for anyone interested in playing a campaign set in Jordan's world...however, in reading the text, I came across a One Power Weave which (if I remember my Jordan) is not possible by the rules of Jordan's channeling. In the books, Morraine and others explicitly say that a channeler cannot use the the One Power to fly...yet there is a weave described in the new RPG that emulates the classic D&D spell of the same name. Supposedly Jordan himself approved all of the content of the book, even writing a forward for it...so am I wrong, or is this a glaring discrepancy?

Dominus
November 5th, 2001, 08:56 AM
In one book (can't remember which one), Jordan says that in the Age of Legends, people who could channel could fly, but the knowledge of this was lost to the Aes Sedai. So it is possible.

matthewajg
November 5th, 2001, 09:18 AM
I believe that Jordan wrote, through one of the Aes Sedai speaking, that it is impossible for a channeler to use the One Power to make 'themselves' fly...as opposed to using flows of air to levitate objects/other people. Flying, per sey, was never mentioned as a lost Talent or Weave...it was said to be impossible...then again, they said Healing a stilled Aes Sedai was impossible, and look at how that turned out.
Does anyone else remeber reading the bit about flying being impossible?

Old_Wolf
January 11th, 2002, 06:02 AM
I believe that it was said Aes Sedai used to fly in the Age of Legends, but they've lost the ability since. We'll probably see it in Book 12 or 13. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif

-Old_Wolf

Dominus
January 13th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Well, I just finished the series and in book 7?, they say that is impossible to levitate yourself very far, but that you can do it to other people. Just some weird thing.

Respondi

milamber_reborn
February 17th, 2002, 02:09 AM
In Rhuidean we found out that they have those flying creatures for transport? Or was that for non-aes Sedai only?

saintjon
February 18th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Personally I could care less. Who needs to fly when you can Travel anyway? Also, I've stated my doubts elsewhere of how well I think D20 rules could represent the One Power. They shoud have given the license to White Wolf, if you ask me.