PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars a D-20 game? AAAARGH!!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

saintjon
February 18th, 2002, 11:33 AM
I remember playing Star Wars once when I was in Grade 8 or so. In all the years since of playing games by TSR, FASA, White Wolf and the vaunted "D20" system, I've always looked back to Star Wars as the most beautifully designed system of RPG rules I've ever come across. So very streamlined and simple yet so much potential depth! So last week I was in the store with my friends and I spot a core rulebook for Star Wars. The cover looked different, so I figured (who can blame me?) that it was a re-printing of the game I was so impressed by all those years ago. So, thinking to show my friend the character sheet or something to demonstrate how well-done the rules system was. When I opened the book however there was a very D+D looking table staring back up at me. D+D??!! What the... I shut the book and, horrified, saw the "D-20" symbol, in stark contrast to the black of the rest of the cover and my heart sank. Cursing followed. I proceeded to explain to my friend how the old rules had worked in 5 minutes. By no stretch of the imagination could I have done so with the D-20 system. Granted, D-20 is much better than the AD+D second edition, but that 5 minute explanation alone is proof enough to me of which was the better game. I guess the closest thing to those rules is White Wolf, and they're still going strong (Exalted kicks ass) so it's not all bad but still, I was so let down...
Whatever, it's not like I game much these days anyway.

Shef
June 7th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Hey man, don't dis it until you try. The d20 system may be complicated but the Star Wars roleplaying game is better than even the vaunted Dungeons & Dragons. The d20 system allows an incredible amount of variety in an already enormous universe. Now I respect your opinion, but my mother always told me to speak my mind.

fluffy bunny
June 11th, 2002, 02:25 PM
What was wrong with the old Star Wars RPG system.
Why did West End Games have to lose the licence?

saintjon
August 23rd, 2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by fluffy bunny
What was wrong with the old Star Wars RPG system.
Why did West End Games have to lose the licence?

My point exactly!!! The old game was so sweet!