View Full Version : Writer's Block Cure: Question

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

virangelus
January 16th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I suppose I'm weak-hearted but after suffering how long from Writer's Block and being frustrated with myself, I'm almost willing to try anything new. But this guy keeps getting a lot of rants and reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312053940/ref=cm_lm_fullview_prodimg_13/104-4530491-9287939?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

50 darn dollars *gasps and faints*

Is he really worth all the reviews and money that people say he is? Has anybody heard of his stuff before or looked into it?

kater
January 16th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I haven't looked into it but for $50 I'd want he guy to write my novels for me :D I think it's another example of great self-promotion, there's only one actual customer review and that's by one of his friends so unless you are really, really tried-everything-else stuck then I'd avoid it like the plague. Try these threads instead, see if you can find some help:

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11171&highlight=Writers+block

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10975&highlight=Writer%27s+Block

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10489&page=1&highlight=Writer%27s+Block

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9776&page=1&highlight=Writer%27s+Block

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8624&page=1&highlight=Writer%27s+Block

KatG
January 16th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I don't know who the guy is, but he has a quote from Lawrence Block, who is a bestselling thriller writer and has written very entertaining writing guides of his own. Of course, it could be a fake quote; I don't know. Fifty dollars is quite a lot for a short nf guide book. Maybe it's because it's out of print or something. But I wouldn't pay that much for a writer's guide.

Rocket Sheep
January 16th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Hey! Reading about writers block is just an excuse to stop writing. Get back to your writing NOW!

Rocket Sheep
January 16th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Just trying to help.

Maybe you've stalled because you're not happy with the quality you're producing or you need to take your ms in a new direction? Stalling on an ms is usually a good sign that it's lost the wow factor and it has to have the wow factor these days. Get more skills or start frantically scribbling De Bono bubbles until you find the new direction. Get all your friends to help you with the De Bono bubbles. I get all my rudest stories that way.

Acaptus
January 16th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I would suggest reading The Midnight Disease (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618485414/qid=1137456842/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-3933082-4195030?n=507846&s=books&v=glance). It's a book that explains certain relationships between writer's block (and hypergraphia) and psychological and neurological states. The book doesn't presume to cure writer's block, but it is a very interesting read, and after I was finished I was gifted with ideas that allowed me to overcome my own block. At least temporarily.

Expendable
January 17th, 2006, 12:31 AM
The book came out in 1991 - check your library and local used book stores. Could save you $50.

onions
January 17th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I don't know if this is going to help, virangelus, or make it worse -

But I suffered from writer's block for TEN whole years.
Ten years of sitting infront of a sheet of paper and not being able to think of a single worthwhile subject to put on it.

What brought it back?
I'm not sure. I had one of those daydreams I enjoy so much and I decided that, just for the fun of it, nothing serious, I'd write that daydream down. Just to get a kick out of it myself.
No pressure.
And then it turned into a passable story.
And then it wanted to be the first chapter of a novel, too.

And then suddenly all those other story ideas started crowding round, fighting for my attention. :)

I think the only advice I could construe out of this is to take the pressure out of writing something...and put the fun back into it.

All the best,
onions

KatG
January 17th, 2006, 10:04 AM
There are a lot of different types of writers block, as has come up before in the quoted threads, but the two most common, assuming you don't have the time to write problem, are:

1) A project isn't working or gelling and so you can't get anywhere with it. Solutions range from doing exercises to try to develop characters or plot, scrapping the project and doing something else, doing two projects at once to give yourself temporary breaks, putting the project aside temporarily, skipping to another part of the text that doesn't block you, etc., to getting readers or professional editorial assistance to try and identify and solve problems.

2) You're psyching yourself out. This is probably the most common form of writers' block. Again, solutions range from doing exercises to writing other things where you put less pressure on yourself, etc. One way that's helped some folk is to try and do a story with a collaborator. There are many potential problems to working with a collaborator, but if you do a story just for fun, batting the text back and forth between you and not doing anything too elaborate, it can be similar to these message board conversations, where you are not editing yourself or criticizing yourself or psyching yourself out, because it's just casual and playtime. Another possibility is to take a writing class, where you're forced to work on writing, preferably one of those right-brain creativity sort of classes where they aren't going to tell you exactly how you should write.

Writing is not, let's face it, that much fun. It's brain work, though when it's going well, it's a lot of fun. But our interest in it, our excitement over creating, is what provides the driving force. If that driving force is not there, then you're liable to have a block and so you may need to identify why the driving force is not there. Consider why you wanted to write fiction in the first place, and why that's not helping now, and you may find the problem.

Uplifted1
January 17th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Don't feel bad. When writer's block hits me, it hits hard! So then I use my own technique of resolving it.(unless someone has already named it!)

You take the writer's block and you imagine it is curled up into a ball. You imagine to hold this ball in your hand, look at it and say,"I will play with this ball for x amount of days. After that, I'm through playing with you and I want my mind to look around my surroundings." You allow your writer's block to play;let it have free reign for awhile and then you imagine to throw the ball away and let your mind roam free...completely free.You keep the images in your mind as you write, as you find ways to connect it to your story.

(I call it the 'Playground Effect' because you control the block,not vice versa.)

I hope this helps.

Uplifted1