Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Holbrook
January 17th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Ok, any other crazy Brit watching this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/lifeonmars/

At first I thought it would not work, but it is clever, slick and often funny. I have also found myself cringing, as in 1973 I was a brash 18 year old, who thought they were hip, with it and soooo cool.... ROFL!

Memories of the Sweeny mixed with modern cop shows with the added spice of the scenes where you get the hint that the character is just "in his mind" i.e. in a Coma. The blend is well done and the pace is good. It also has its tongue firmly in its cheek.

Leiali
January 17th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I'm watching it and it is such good fun!! I didn't think it would work either but it does. Great stuff!

Tarn
January 17th, 2006, 11:22 AM
I saw the first episode and was generally entertained. It was certainly better shot and put together than your average British TV show, and the coma aspect was handled in a very curious way. Haven't got round to seeing the second episode yet, and I'm not entirely sure how they can prolong it for an entire series.

retrojetter
January 19th, 2006, 08:15 AM
I think its brilliant. Much more entertaining and addictive than Invasion is proving to be.
Its got the right combination of quality that you'd expect from a BBC drama (sadly thin on the ground nowadays) and the sort of cheesy action that I can remember from old tv shows like The Professionals.
I too have wondered how they're going to drag it out for a whole series but I must confess that thats part of the attraction. I cant wait to see what twists and turns it has in store.
I'm sure I've heard rumours that a second series is in the offing but I cant think where I've heard/read about it. Can anyone else substantiate?

Wulfa_Jones
January 19th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I'm loving the show, I have to record because I'm busy on a Monday night and I've only just got around to watching the second episode tonight.

I liked the contrast in the 1st episode between the 2 different styles of policing - the interview scenes are particularly interesting. In the 2006 the suspect has his Solicitor, social worker and physiologist with him in a brightly lit room full of security cameras. In 1974 the witness is held in a storage room ("the walls are thicker"), on her own and physically threatened.

Also like the whole non-PC thing... when he first walks into the office it's a haze of smoke as all everyone is sat smoking at their desks. They all seem to drink and drive and sexually harass female staff.

The bit that freaked me out in episode two was when the girl and her clown came out from the TV, it was only a dream sequence but it was still pretty freaky. Another good bit was near the end when he was visiting the cleaner in hospital and he started to smell urine, all the lights started to shut down (at first I thought it was because of the power strikes) but then it turns out it because he has crashed in "real life". Also when he asks for a "transfer" back to where he was from and his DCI tells him he asked to come here. Again hinting at maybe his subconscious has placed him there.

CVLewis
January 30th, 2006, 10:08 PM
On the strength of this thread's comments I went out of my way to not miss tonight's episode aired over here and concur with those who have praised it. The anachronisity delivers so strongly I enjoyed those humourous touches such as the out of his time main character keeps reading crims' rights a la his own modern British copper style, not "you have the right to remain silent" etc. and the Sweeney-like blokes keep saying "that's not how it goes". brilliant IMO. Frank

Holbrook
February 2nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
This week was darker and very clever, I thought. Sadly the series is half way through. Only four more to go.

CVLewis
February 6th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Similar to this in my dim mind was an ancient BBC number called Adam Adamant with Gerald Harper. I know I'm going well off topic. Does anyone remember this at all or only me? It is a bit sci-fi IMO being revival of a frozen Victorian gentleman and transpositions of time worked as I recall the same humorous anachronistic strokes worked even in B & W cathode format. Sorry - senior moment. Frank (C S Lewis fan showing my age)

Wulfa_Jones
February 7th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Similar to this in my dim mind was an ancient BBC number called Adam Adamant with Gerald Harper

I'm far to young to remeber the series, but my Dad remembers it and the BBC showed an episode on BBC4 as part of a season of British TV Sci-Fi.
I loved the idea of the show, a Victorian gentleman spy (complete with sword cane) frozen only to be woken up in 60s London, but didn't think much of the episode. It was a bit like the Avengers but with the fish out of water element to it, which from the epsiode I saw wasn't really played.

I think a remake of it now would be quite good - like they've done with Doctor Who. Society today is much more far removed from that of the late 1800's. I think they could do a lot more with it now than they could in the 60s.

CVLewis
February 28th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Thank you for research Wulfa_Jones to have input from your father, makes me feel old that, well I am (approaching 60) I agree from my recollection it was a rattly low budget effort and could be done better today. Cheers - Frank